Strength of forged carbon? | FerrariChat

Strength of forged carbon?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Does anyone know how strong forged carbon parts are? The Huracan Performante uses a lot of it for bodywork and interior design and I know it's light, but how does it compare to the woven pattern of carbon in terms of strength? I'm having a hard time finding that data.

I found some articles from a year ago stating Lamborghini wants to try out forged composites for the connecting rods in the next Aventador...so I'm guessing it's strong in addition to being light.

This is the first time I've heard of composites being used in engines like that since the Torlon/Polimotor Lola from the 1980s that used a lot of plastics to make an engine to race...saved almost 200lbs. Of course the combustion chamber itself was lined with metal for heat purposes, the rest of the engine was basically plastic. It's this car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd4Jy4Q4_4