Acura Developing a Successor to NSX | FerrariChat

Acura Developing a Successor to NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by netviper, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Acura Developing a Successor to NSX
    Current Generation NSX Production to Halt at Year End

TORRANCE, Calif. 07/11/2005 -- To further enhance the division's performance image, Acura is developing a new sports car to succeed the award-winning NSX supercar. Acura also announced that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of the year due to the extensive retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia.

"We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future," said John Mendel, senior vice president, automobile operations. "It's too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX."

As the first-ever supercar from Japan, the NSX was created as a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that would establish entirely new levels of performance, refinement and drivability. The NSX went on sale in the summer of 1990 and the following year posted record U.S. sales of 1,940 vehicles. Through June of 2005, NSX cumulative sales totaled 8,854 in the U.S. and more than 18,000 worldwide.

During its 15-year run, the NSX has been showered with accolades including, Automobile Magazine's "Automobile of the Year and Design of the Year" awards, Popular Science's "Best of What's New," Road &Track's "Ten Best Cars in the World" list. Motor Trend magazine also named the NSX to its "Top Ten Performance Cars" list and touted it as "the best sports car ever built."

Acura designed the NSX as a technological and performance showcase. Among other innovations, it was the first production car to feature an all-aluminum body, chassis, and suspension and to utilize titanium connecting rods. It featured a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine equipped with Acura's breakthrough VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system and a variable volume induction system.

Over time, the NSX received continuous updates to ensure its competitiveness and popularity with serious sports car enthusiasts. The NSX has also captured multiple championships in the highest levels of sports car and prototype racing.

Additional Acura information and downloadable high-resolution images of the NSX are available at www.acuranews.com.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ahh. thanks. I was just about to post the article.

3. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    About damn time. Who makes a "supercar" (if the NSX can be described as such) and does not change it or end it in 15 years? Yeah, it can be a potent machine, but, it is still a Honda.

4. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    Thank goodness...I was afraid that Honda was going to let the NSX die a quiet death not befitting its then-groundbreaking performance.

Will it go head-to-head with the new C6 Z06? Competition improves the breed.

5. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For someone with a name like F1Autosports, you should know better than to same something stupid like that.

6. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    Yes, I know. I have a friend with a 750HP Integra daily driver. It is just my lack of respect for some of the brand name. Professionally, I know what they are capable of, and impressed by it. Personally though, not big fans of them at all.

I will say that Honda has made from great achievements that made other automakers stand up and take notice though.

7. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    That's a nice teaser, but I can't wait to hear some specifics...like what kind of motor it will have. Maybe the electric-gas hybrid thing is still a possibility...that electric motor would certainly fix any possibility of a lack in torque. :)

8. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    As the very proud owner of a 1998 NSX-T, let me go on record as having said "Thank God".

I only hope Honda does it again and makes another "affordable" supercar.

9. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    I am pretty sure that the next gen NSX will be amazing... Honda can create awesome cars when they want to. They have the technology and money to make it happen.

10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    If they can give it horsepower and make it worth the $$$, ill buy one when I can. I would like to see a replacement for the current NSX after production ends.

11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Awesome news.
    Please Honda, let it be a Mugen V8 motor. None of that hybrid stuff (it's a supercar, come on)

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unless Honda figures out a way to make an electric assist that doesn't die after 3 laps on a track, there is no way they would make it a hybrid. I think V8.

13. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

14. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Honda has always done things a bit differently; how about a v10!

15. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    How about a wankel?

16. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    How about a 1.0 liter 4 valve 1 cylinder engine that makes 450 hp and redlines to 50,000 rpm :D

17. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I disagree. They need to give it torque!

18. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    If they do a wankel, they will need to restate the HP time after time after time...oh wait. That was Mazda.

19. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I totally agree!!!! It needs 450HP and 380lbs of TQ.

20. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    As an Ex-X owner myself, this is GREAT news. They'd better not make it analogous to that early concept car that was making the rounds a while ago. Didn't like the look of that one at all.

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    As long as it beats the new Z06 im game.

22. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Nah, there are enough V10s out there...CGT, Viper, M5, M6, Gallardo...V8s sound much better, and that would be a nice bump up from the V6 the NSX had.

I didn't think about the electric motor running the batteries down after a few laps, I agree, put the Mugen V8 in it! :)

23. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep. Most people that think hybrid forget the fact that after the batteries are dead (which is not long on a track) you are just lugging around a ton of dead weight. Not exactly sportscar material.

I think IMA motors from Honda would be fine in the TL and RL.

I think a TL with IMA and AWD would be killer! I would buy one.

24. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
  25. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    They should just dump the F1 engine into it. Make a street car weighing 1000 lbs with a V10 revving to 20k. Mmmm I'd buy one.

Or a TT V10.