Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Formula 3
Sponsor

Full Name: John Temerian
My Garage
P4 Replica ....

Hey you guys!

I have a good friend and client with a P4 Norwood in yellow, i posted pics from Cavallino. These cars seem to have a pretty good value for a replica. They use Ferrari V12 engines etc so its understandable.

I have the opportunity to buy a Ferrari P4 Fiberglass car which looks amazing for what it is, it is a 308 chassis 308 engine

i have attached one picture ill try to get up more...

What do you think these cars are worth?

http://www.alloutexotics.com/MVC-008S.JPG
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: V K
Why don't you ask Mark Collins at http://www.collinsclan.co.uk/Pages/Cars/P4/P4.html

He's project P4 is in the finishing stages....He must know for sure how much these cars are worth....There's another thread on "Poor man's P4 replica" with info on his project.

VK
Old 02-03-2004, 03:17 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark Collins
You might want to look here

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85789

saw a price of around $159k, if it's 308 based i would imagine it is an Sbarro replica
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Paul S.
Question P4 replica photo request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutExotics View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a Ferrari P4 Fiberglass car which looks amazing for what it is, it is a 308 chassis 308 engine

I have attached one picture ill try to get up more...

What do you think these cars are worth?

http://www.alloutexotics.com/MVC-008S.JPG
With apologies for the rather belated 'bump' to this thread.

The car that JT was referring to is a Noble P4 spyder, powered by a 308GT/4 V-8 built by Jim Carpenter.

I think, from memory, the photo below is the one that JT originally posted .... w-a-y back when.

Does anyone from the FL region have any more recent (and preferably hi-res) photos of this car, that they could share ? Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4NSxJimCarpenter-OSF-2003.jpg (40.5 KB, 1673 views)
Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Full Name: Andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Replica View Post
With apologies for the rather belated 'bump' to this thread.

The car that JT was referring to is a Noble P4 spyder, powered by a 308GT/4 V-8 built by Jim Carpenter.
He mentions that it is based on a 308 chassis. How is that possible? Would be intriguing because then you could register the car as a Ferrari. I always thought that all P4 replicas are "kit cars" with a real Ferrari engine at best. Paul?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Wink Don't believe all the 'blurb' you read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi12 View Post
He mentions that it is based on a 308 chassis. How is that possible?
Quite simply - IT ISN'T Andreas. Pure myth - probably originated by the car's builder, Jim Carpenter.
You can clearly see in the original versions of the first two photos below, that the chassis is a Noble spaceframe.
There are lots of other clues to this car's 'Noble' origins (in fact it's almost 'bog-stock'). E.g. Note the fuel fillers.
Both these photos came from an article, entitled 'Red Hot in Arizona', published in (UK) Performance Car in February 1993.
The car was previously featured in Sports Car International magazine in February 1992 - making similar provenance claims, IIRC.
Note in the third photo down, the car was carrying Arizona license plates HLH-990. Does that ring any bells with anybody ?
Quote:
Would be intriguing because then you could register the car as a Ferrari. I always thought that all P4 replicas are "kit cars" with a real Ferrari engine at best. Paul?
You're correct to a certain extent, Andreas, in that most P4 replicas (that use Ferrari engines) use only the motor. A few (348-powered) cars also use the transmission. Others - also the wheels. Then there are the odd cars, such as the Sbarro P4's, and the original Norwood 'Boxer' P4's which were built using (most of) the original Ferrari chassis.

However, most P4's, as you said, use only the engine. Which probably means the original Ferrari was scrapped. So, if some less than scrupulous builder / owner was to hang on to the Ferrari's original registration documents, these could be used to (re)register the car as a 'Ferrari'. All you have to do, is convince the government inspector that he's looking at a 'Ferrari chassis'. It happens all the time.

Funnily enough, I was only trading PM's with NNO earlier today - about a (albeit very nice looking) P4 replica that is UK-registered as a Ferrari, and allegedly based on a Ferrari chassis. I know this car very well. It is nothing more than another modified Noble P4 'kit car', powered by a FIAT Dino 2-litre motor (with Renault transmission), that was originally built in France. The car's current owner obtained a registration document from a totally unrelated car (IIRC a 330GTC), which had been scrapped, and used that to get the car registered in the U.K. as a 'Ferrari', on an age-related (1967) license plate.

Unfortunately, this kind of chicanery happens all the time. I could cite MANY such falsely-documented cars.
I really don't know who these owners think they are fooling. My own car is still registered as a 1985 Renault 25 V6i, incidentally. LOL !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4NSJimCarpenter-Engine1-Resized.JPG (120.6 KB, 1650 views)
File Type: jpg P4NSJimCarpenter-Engine2-Resized.JPG (56.4 KB, 1643 views)
File Type: jpg P4NSJimCarpenter-Rear-Resized.JPG (57.5 KB, 1633 views)
File Type: jpg P4NSJimCarpenter-OSF.jpg (240.0 KB, 1612 views)
File Type: jpg P4NSJimCarpenter-NearSide.jpg (183.6 KB, 1595 views)

Last edited by P4Replica; 11-03-2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Adding another photo.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Terrible!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Thumbs down Another useful contribution (not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari250GTO View Post
Terrible!
Makes a refreshing change from your usual responses of 'Very cool!' or '+1'.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dennis
Smile

The P4, one of the most beautiful pieces of art to caress the pavement with four wheels.........replica or not.... it's just amazing Paul. I saw my first P4 at the Riverside Times/Grand Prix in the sixties, I think it was driven by Chris Amon, what a piece of automotive history.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: DrS
This thread should be combined with this:

Crappy Replicas thread

thread.
DrSPunksOwnd: Dan,x8664amd,CUSTEL, ,Yellow_Jacket,VK430GT, james_bond,Xatzhkyriakeio7,otaku,BenEvens,BlazinBW F,ForzaItalia06RossoBarchetta,TheRari ,F430WPB, laxexquis,nickm, porschedriver986 ,SirRobbins, exoticcollector, AgentPenguin, Cuonuct, ExcelsiorZ
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 AM
F1 World Champ
Banned User

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Makes a refreshing change from your usual responses of 'Very cool!' or '+1'.
LOL
Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
You're correct to a certain extent, Andreas, in that most P4 replicas (that use Ferrari engines) use only the motor. A few (348-powered) cars also use the transmission. Others - also the wheels. Then there are the odd cars, such as the Sbarro P4's, and the original Norwood 'Boxer' P4's which were built using (most of) the original Ferrari chassis.
The current issue of Forza has an article about Sbarro (gosh I love this crazy cook!) and mentions his P4 replica on 308 chassis. Come to think of it, that makes actually a lot of sense to me. Basically the same layout and concept. Makes me wonder how feasible it would be to take a 308 today and put a Noble body on it?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Quote:
The current issue of Forza has an article about Sbarro (gosh I love this crazy cook!) and mentions his P4 replica on 308 chassis.
Already posted elsewhere by NNO, and copied by me into post #50 of the Sbarro P4 thread, Andreas.

See: Sbarro Ferrari Conversions... and ANY 1st Hand info on this Sbarro p4
Quote:
Come to think of it, that makes actually a lot of sense to me. Basically the same layout and concept. Makes me wonder how feasible it would be to take a 308 today and put a Noble body on it?
What ?? Are you advocating more sacrilegious butchering of REAL Ferrari's to produce 'Fake' replicas ?? Shame on you, Andreas. LOL !

Last edited by P4Replica; 11-06-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling !
Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Smile

In the hope of getting a result, I'd cross-posted this question into the Florida section.
Quote:
Does anyone from the FL region have any more recent (and preferably hi-res) photos of this car, that they could share ?
P4 Replica photo request

Where, the very next day, Roger Martinez (a.k.a. 'KarreraKid930') kindly obliged with this recent photo of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4NS-RalphMueller-PalmBeach2007-Front.jpg (79.9 KB, 1297 views)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
What ?? Are you advocating more sacrilegious butchering of REAL Ferrari's to produce 'Fake' replicas ?? Shame on you, Andreas. LOL !
It was actually a serious question.

Is it just me or does the Sbarro P4 look short? Particularly the section behind the driver looks different. Comments?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Is it just me or does the Sbarro P4 look short? Particularly the section behind the driver looks different. Comments?
Andreas.

Rather than go over the same ground again, may I suggest you read the comments (not just mine) about the car's rear deck ....

.... in the 'Any 1st Hand info on this Sbarro P4' thread: ANY 1st Hand info on this Sbarro p4 (more on page 3).

Last edited by P4Replica; 11-06-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStranglove View Post
This thread should be combined with this:

Crappy Replicas thread

thread.
+1

yuck
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: DGS
Well, given that a real live P3 just underwent a resto, would it be possible to get dimension data for building an *authentic* recreation? (E.g., new cars built to original prints.)

Or would the factory frown on that?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS View Post
Well, given that a real live P3 just underwent a resto,
Is that any particular car that you are referring to ? #0844 ? #0854 ?
Quote:
would it be possible to get dimension data for building an *authentic* recreation? (E.g., new cars built to original prints.)
All things are possible, given enough time .... and money.
Quote:
Or would the factory frown on that?
Probably.