Mc Laren F1 (PART 37) | FerrariChat

Mc Laren F1 (PART 37)

Discussion in 'British' started by Miura Jota, Sep 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I dont' recall seeing them on Fchat, so no, I don't believe they're a repost. They were posted on a few different forums and there are many more to the set. Beautiful color for the F1 if you ask me.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I do not remember that particular car. Do you know who the owner is???

4. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You might be thinking of a different set of photos of this car Al as these two shots are new to me. They look familiar because this F1 is almost always parked next to the owner's motorhome in some racing paddock parking lot.

>8^)
    ER

5. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #5 Peloton25, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The owner is Tony Smith in the UK. If my research is correct he was the band manager for Genesis and Phil Collins.

This car has been used in several videos of the F1 including 5th Gear's "World's Greatest Cars" episode featuring Tiff Needel at the wheel. It is chassis #020 and was originally painted "Mid Blue Pearl" and lacked the High Downforce Kit it now wears.

Here's an early shot of the car parked next to something desirable and red. :cool:

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, you are correct. I just checked. Similar photos of it being in the rain and next to the motorhome...as usual. :D

Thanks for the pics Miura!

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Erick,

Where is the best place to find pictures of all the F1's or most of as I know there are some that have never been seen by the in the public before?

Thanks,

Matthew

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My hard drive. :D

Actually there is no central repository like that on the web yet - just scattered galleries of random images. A more complete website is in the works via the efforts and investment of a friend, and it will hopefully come online before the end of the year.

For now, your best bet is to follow along in the McLaren F1 forum on AutomotiveForums.com as that's the single greatest resource for F1 info and photos anywhere on the web today. :cool:

>8^)
    ER

9. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
  10. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I've seen a few in my lifetime. I remember seeing what i think was a metallic brown one at a london show some 10 - 12 years ago

is there a brown one?

11. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Isn't Rowan Atkinson's F1 brown/maroon?

edit: was it this color?

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There are some stories about the two "brown" ones. One was #029 originally finished in 'Brazilian Brown Metallic' and the other #039 finished in a color called 'Creighton Brown'.

The Brazilian Brown car was built for Ron Dennis and apparently looked much like a UPS truck when completed and was promptly repainted a different color. I haven't been able to determine what color it became, but someone suggested a rather safe shade of silver was chosen.

The name 'Creighton Brown' comes from one of the four initiators of the McLaren F1 project, and unfortunately he recently passed on. I've been told that the color name was selected as a bit of humor for a unique shade that a customer had requested.

Unfortunately I do not have photos I can identify as either of those cars but I might have some photos of #029 after it's repaint as there was an F1 seen in a video taken at the McLaren factory that I can not identify.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the car you saw or recall exactly which event it appeared at, do you?

>8^)
    ER

14. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

I'll dig them out as I have thousands of old pictures, even from Geneva and whatlike from ten years ago when I went to shows.

I dont think it was the maroon one above, infact it definitely wasnt. It was definitely a kind of, how do i say this, em dusty em smoky brown, I'm sure it had a lot of metallic in it though. Definitely got a picture of it but I can remember the lighting being extremely bad when it came to the supercar section but you can certainly tell it to be brown. I saw my first 288GTO and the picture turned out terrible!

Will look it out when back to Glasgow on Friday and see if i can find a scanner to scan it in and post. Have never scanned before but be warned if it works, prepare for a sh1tload of amazing pictures of all sorts of supercars for instance 2 blue EB110's, strosek porsche 911, 512TR's and others parked outside my hotel next to the Geneva exhibition center.

Still trying to download pictures of my car and others from my mobile but cant remember my admin password to get the software on. Should sort that this weekend though.

Pics to look forward to -

Hundreds of Lambos including the Cala from Geneva.
    6 or 7 F1's
    6 or 7 EB110's and SS's including a modified one (rinspeed possibly, i cant remember but i didnt like it)
    959's
    XJ220's - got a couple of videos on phone of yellow XJ220S overtaking me.
    Venturis
    F50's, F40's etc etc etc

Theres loads and now i'm on a mission to not let you guys down!

Regards,

Matthew

PS. cant remember the event it was that long ago. They seemed to change the events at London over a few years but I'll check the pictures.

15. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    One of the best automotive silhouettes ever!

16. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    he was the first to crash one, wasn't he? how long did he have it for?

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You'd be the hero of many by posting a picture of that.

I'm slightly suspicious of the fact you may have seen chassis #012 or #045, both of which were painted "Dark Silver". Under some lighting conditions that color fits the description you gave.

The car seen at the factory that I can't identify is similar in color as well. I'll post one of the shots of it when I get home.

>8^)
    ER

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He still has it. It wasn't totalled

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Atkinson was absolutely not the first to crash one.

Also while the damage looks significant, his crash was rather minor and the car was fully repaired for around $100,000. The car is #061 and he still owns it to this day.

>8^)
    ER

20. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hmm, I'll need to be patient and see the picture again. I'm 99% positive it wasnt dark silver or gunmetal but i know what you mean. Definitely a dusty brown colour.......time will tell i suppose.

I'll post all the pics i have of F1's for you, hopefully the quality is ok if scanned.

I didnt know that Rowan still owned his F1, good on him.

I think the 1st roadcar that crashed was the one in Germany on the autobahn. I think it may have been some BMW test driver and passenger or something but it was a wreck. I'm probably wrong but i think this was the first one I knew of publicly.

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #21 Peloton25, Sep 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually the first road car crashed was the very first one made - XP1 - occuring March 24th, 1993, before any other F1s had been built. The car was destroyed at the hands of BMW test driver Roman Scherer in the Namibian desert of Africa while undergoing hot weather testing. He took his eyes off the road to look at some equipment in the car and drifted off line at 170mph, striking a curb and causing the car to tumble through the desert flipping over several times. He lived to tell about it, and so did the car briefly, but after landing on its roof, oil leaked out of the engine and onto one of the exhaust manifolds setting the car on fire. :(

The crash you may be confusing with that story was the one of Bernd Pischetsrieder (former BMW chairman) who actually totalled an F1 with his mother-in-law in the car so the story goes. Oops... :D

Anyway, I'd love to see whatever you have by whatever means possible. All the photos in my F1 collection are not "desktop wallpaper" quality - in fact some of the older, grainy photos that have made it onto the web recently often tell the best stories. :cool:

Here's those shots from the factory I've mentioned a few times.

>8^)
    ER

22. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    What a car! I love that color^^^

Peloton, in your last post, those bad quality pics have "The Discovery Chanel" logo in the top right corner. Any idea what show that was?

23. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Here you go Sir, go to this link:
    http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/player.html

Then go to the Video Search Button and just type McLaren. The only clip that will pop up is the episode "Beyond Tomorrow: McLaren"

Yeah, score another Web link for the CHUNKYMONKEY!

No worries, service fees will not be applied...lol j/k

24. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Just checked some of the pics but I've got loads to go through and wont be able to scan until tomorrow.

The brown one? In the picture I cant even make out what colour it is the quality of light is that bad but so far I've found pictures of

A black one
    A silver one from a previous Glasgow motor show
    A GULF GTR number 16

plus theres the one i dont have a clue what colour it is but at the time I'm sure it was brown as I remember thinking BROWN? I may have other pictures but regardless, I will post on all i have and others.

Kinda gutted!

Regards,

Matthew