FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.

thats the car from the Evo group test, according to the magazine the exhaust is a tubi.

2. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    True, GTO's are rare, and will continue to move up in values until a recession hits, if it does; I think they will definitely go down in value. The same is true of the F40. When I bought my F 40, I may have been able to purchase a GTO for a bit more, but to me the F40 is much more attractive as a car. Of course, I would love to have one, as well as an F50 and an Enzo. Maybe in the near future.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great write up as always Steve. As the most experienced 288 GTO owner in the USA we nominate you as Correspondent Emeritus :)
    Please post regularly...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

4. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    As far as I know that is a Tubi exhaust and that is the car that was in the "evo" test.
    Of course I have been known to be wrong, the last time was 1986 ;)

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #155 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the original sports option system.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Joe

What is the visual difference?

Paul

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #157 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2007
    The original Ansa-made system is in mild steel (sounds awesome and not so "tinny" as the stainless steel Tubi system) and has a completely black-annealed appearance...

Oh, and here below is the same car at Silverstone that day with the aforementioned Tubi 'zorst.

The first 288 GTO I ever saw was in late 1985 or early 1986 on London's swanky Sloane Street. I had to look twice, but for sure it was a Rolling Stone all right.... Mick Jagger at the wheel of his newly-acquired 288 that he collected at Maranello himself (images of him taking delivery of it adorn Ferrari SpA museum's wall today). The lady in the passenger seat was a brunette so I surmized that it could not be Jerry Hall :)

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #158 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2007
  9. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Tubbed fenders to fit those massively wide slicks?

10. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #160 dan360, Aug 25, 2007
  11. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Beautiful car Dan

12. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    wow! that looks great

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Steve?

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for sharing those Dan. Its great when owners take the time to share...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    #165 shill288, Aug 25, 2007
    These are not my pictures, but they are of my car at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway. I lifted them off another thread. Somewhere on Ferrarichat, there are pictures of my car belching flames going into Turn 11 at Sears, but I can't find them at the moment. You don't need a sport exhaust to get the flames. GTOs, unlike USA F40s, but like Porsche turbocharged race cars, don't have a fuel cutoff. So, when you're working it at the track, and lift for the toe-heel downshift, raw gas dumps into a hot exhaust system with predictable results. I still remember all the comments I got after my track session because just when Ferrari took the cover of the then new Enzo outside of Turn 11 at Sears Point, I was passing an F40 into turn 11 and caused a slight pause in the Enzo introduction with the pass on the F40, flames shooting out of the exhausts and squealing tires going around the turn and rocketing off down the main straight. It was a good session laying waste to an Enzo, F50 and F40 all in the same session. The GTO is a much faster car than people give it credit for. It is not fast off the line, but once you're moving, you better be paying attention.

Steve

16. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I guess I should metion that is a TubiStyle exhaust in the above picture.

Steve

17. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Oh, and don't bother wasting your time trying to find silly things like USA 308 bumpers, USA side lights, etc.

You won't find any. But, I am running a license plate front and rear on the car. I got tired of the $60 tickets the Palo Alto parking police were writing for missing front license plates on cars.

Steve

18. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    A year ago an Italian Collector gave away a perfect 288gto to a u.k business man for only 400 thousand Euros approx. $520000 us.
    He also had a hard time selling it,took over a year to find a buyer.

19. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Dan, Steve, you guys are killing me, I always tell my kid, when he says he needs something, Need, or Want?? I NEED a 288 GTO!!!

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I have to say, the 288 GTO owners are hardcore enthusiasts... LOL.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

21. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    beautiful lines, GOD that car is timeless...thanks for sharing the pics. Any additional injectors leading to those flames? my RUF now emmits 8" flames w/the 7th injector

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #172 joe sackey, Aug 26, 2007
  23. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Sports exhaust is a must. I have not regretted fitting one for a moment. Flames in the tunnel are fantastic

24. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Joe,

Those slicks in the pictures do not require modifications to the car to fit. But, and this is a big but, if you go to full slicks, there is too much grip for the stock suspension. So, if you're going to do this right, you should lower the car and stiffen up the suspension if you are running slicks. Now, if you are a slow driver, then slicks are ok. But, if you are good, you'll overload the suspension in a hearbeat. By the way, same with an F40. If you're driving around the track with an F40, on slicks, and you think the car is doing just fine, you're not going fast enough.

I just run the standard width, 255, at the rear. Usually Toyo RA1 for the street, and Hoosiers for the track. I have tracked the car with unshaved Toyo RA1s. With unshaved tires, it's a blast sliding the car around corners. The car will slide with the Hoosiers, but, being close to a slick, you only want to slide going into the "clipping point', never out (or you scrub speed at the wrong time). I did get the GTO's rear end to kick out, on a dry surface, exiting the the bottleneck (long turn seven) at Sears Point by power on oversteer with the Hoosiers. Surprised the heck out of the Ferrari representative I had in the car while I smiled at him. It was an easy catch. But, it does go to show you there is plenty of power in that little 2.85 liter motor. Oh, and my engine is stock, except for the modification required to use tubi (or any less backpressure) exhaust system. That is, you have to release the spring in the wastegate or you will have overboost problems. I'm still amazed at the amount of people that use those sport exhausts and don't do this. You're killing the motor. I bet a line bore on those engines will show you just how far out whack the block is. This is a problem with F40s as well. Heck, F40s and GTOs that don't have overboost problems will still have line bore issues. Just not as bad. It's just the nature of the beast.

Steve

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #175 joe sackey, Aug 26, 2007