Latest F149 pics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Latest F149 pics

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by isuk, May 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Taste is indeed a very subjective thing :)

2. marakji

marakji Karting

Aug 19, 2007
    oh man you got some serious multiple personality disorder!!! :) just kidding... but you've made some really conflicting choices, sure hell making your point :) F50 over F40!!!!! 456!!!!!!!!! not care for TR's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the GTO288 is a no brainer :)

3. Francesco_Baracca

Francesco_Baracca Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    +1

4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    +1.
    430;599;612 and Enzo don t represent italian & Ferrari design,just a japanise style.They re not "classic cars" but simply "up to date" made for a new market conquest.430 remains very impersonnal compared to Ferrari classic and historic lines.It will be forget in few years...

5. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    +1

The Enzo or FXX have nothing of Ferrari tradition except their engine. Design has no origin of any previous modell.
    They are toys to make a statement.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think Tillman has it right. The 355 seems to be widely admired, ditto the 550. Then we started getting Toyotas out of Maranello.

Car and Driver has a different rendition than R&T. I'm hoping they're both wrong. Also, hard to tell with the camouflage, but if this is a retractable hardtop I've yet to see one done really well. The Merc SLK is about the best, but too stubby for a Ferrari.

7. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    I think everybody has a different definition of what 'Ferrari design' should be. When the F40 came out, the initial reaction wasn't so different from how people preceive the Enzo Ferrari. In fact I believe the Enzo carried the soul of the F40 perfectly, except it's actually a lot more usable on normal street. While the Enzo design is far from my favorite, I respect the design greatly and to me it represent the message Ferrari wants to express for their roadcars - "Ferrari - F1 technology for the road." In that sense the Enzo is masterfully designed and executed. I have no doubt years from now the Enzo will be remembered alongside the F40, 288GTO, Testarossa and 250GTO.

The F430 styling to me is really mixed. I loved the 206/246GT Dino styling and was overjoyed when I see the design theme modernized in the F360 Modena. The F430 is a strange design, the overly angular front bumper and that Enzo-wannabe rear end are eyesores in an otherwise beautiful and aggressive car. IMO the F430 looks alittle to techno-anime and does not have the overall flow of the design. (ex. Dino & Modena are curve from front to the end, the 288GTO and Testarossa are edgy inside out, and the Enzo and F40 are cartboard boxed race cars. The F430 is a mixture of edge and curves, clean cut designs and busy details. It doesn't come together quite as well as the Modena or the 355 before that.

I am really excited about the F149 though. The proportions, body lines and curves are beautiful and graceful. I hope they don't make the same mistake of edgy hoodlines like the Fiorano or busy rear end similar to the F430. I havn't been too excited over new Ferrari designs since the Modena/Enzo and I hope this new F149 will change all that. What really gets me is that Pininfarina has been finishing exceptionally beautiful designs for other automakers (Alpha, Maserati) and seems to be alittle off their games on Ferraris lately.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure about that. The F40 was instantly linked to the 328 in its styling, which was linked to the 308, which evolved from the Dino 246. I remember when the car came out and IIRC the reaction in the press was instant love. I don't recall anyone thinking it should have looked different. The 348 and Testarossa got some bad press, but I think motor journalists were sad to see the 308/328/F40 design retired.

The Enzo had that F1-ish nose cone style which frankly looks a little weird on a road car. No one quibbled about its performance, but I've heard a lot of ambivalence about the Enzo in general.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari has never really done the design of the body style in house. Recently, Ferrari has relied on Pininfarina, an italian firm, for the designs. Ferrari participates in the design evolution and has final approval. So in the final analysis, all the cars are Ferrari's!

Obviously, you don't care for the Enzo design because it doesn't look like the older cars. Please don't say it breaks with tradition because design does need to move forward. The Dino broke with tradition. I like the Dino.

The Enzo is a huge success- a large part of that has to do to with it's unique body design. If the majority of the car public agreed with your opinion, the Enzo would be selling for less than its MSRP now that other less expensive cars have equalled or exceeded it's performance envelope. That isnt the case, but you are still entitled to your opinion!

Pininfarina has produced great and less than great work over the years.

10. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Huh?

11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Historic,classic an real Ferrari design iss the 246,308 lines for the V8 and 275,daytona for the V12.It should be the direct inspiration for today.Sorry,but for me actual design isn t Ferrari& Italian design.Whitch future for a 430 for example when this model will become technologicaly forgotten.The soul is not enought and that s why we re buying a Ferrari instead of others cars most competitive.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    That big round mouth, or at least what appears to be one on the mule reminds me a bit of Touring Superleggera A8GCS Berlinetta. Hmm, I wonder.

13. selwynf

selwynf Rookie

May 8, 2008
    Hi guys, newbie here...

Aside from the 250GT California which is simply automotive beauty defined, my personal favourite is the 355 Berlinetta. Truly a thing of beauty. the 599 is an awesome bit of kit and whilst i wouldn't kick it out of bed, so to speak, I'd still prefer its predecessor, the 550/575.

Since the 355 came to the end of the road, the unstoppable force of aerodynamic and technological development has coloured all subsequent Ferraris... the 360 wasn't 'beautiful' in the classic Ferrari sense but still an icon of ferrari's rebirth. The 430 (especially the Scuderia) simply awesome.

Just my two pence (cents?) worth.

Cheers

Selwyn

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think there's still a lot of camo on this mule, allthough it has lost the "shooting break" rear. But almost all the panels are still camo, even the roof. Still very hard to tell how it looks underneath.

15. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    What really gets me is that Pininfarina has been finishing exceptionally beautiful designs for other automakers (Alpha, Maserati) and seems to be alittle off their games on Ferraris lately.[/QUOTE]

How about the 575 zagato, the 612kappa or P4/5.
    Its all about personal preferences, but these designs have great retro looks.

16. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    The answer is IMO already in the question.

17. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006

I think all three of them are works of art~ however none are built FOR Ferrari. They were built for customers who were not completely satisfied with the original design. This goes to show that Pininfarina is capable of great designs, but lately they've been holding back on their designs for corporate Ferrari for some reason.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari is to blame. They have final say in the designs. Frank Stephenson oversaw the F430 and 612. These two models have been widely criticized for weak design.

I don't know who is making the final decisions since his departure. Hopefully, the f149 will be a beautiful model

19. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You are entitled to your own opinion...even though its wrong!

20. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I had the chance to visit the Ferrari factory and Fiorano test track in March. I was one of the few able to see the car up close (albeit with camouflage) and even sit inside ;-). What I can say it's that the interior is amazing (very futuristic with lots of brushed aluminium) and will start a brand new design language for Ferrari... The engine noise of this car is just amazing (direct injection) and apparently it's perfomance even surpasses the F430...

21. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I agree... Even though some of the recent cars are not up to the standard of Ferrari (612 Scaglietti), some in my eyes will become design icons (Enzo). I use to hate the design of the Enzo when it first came out, now I love it: no car in the world resembles it and it's recognizeable miles away... Isn't that what a Flagship Ferrari should be?

22. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    How big was the space behind the seat?
    Enough for small children?

23. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Don't hold your breath on this...

24. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    My thoughts exactly. The first pictures I saw of the Enzo, I was like "ewww so ugly!"...now I LOVE it!

25. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    ?

Too small?

Might have to keep the 612 then...