What do they look like?? | FerrariChat

What do they look like??

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cph81, May 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cph81

cph81 Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
    275 GTB prototype s/n5161,GTB Speciale s/n 6437 and GTB/4 prototype s/n 8769. Anyone have pictures? I searched, no joy. Are they just like all the other 275 GTB?

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I have pix of (I think) 6437, but am just getting up and running with the latest batch of my pix digitized by out friend Jarrett. If he sees this he will post; otherwise wait a few days. It was in my possession for a while back in the day.

3. andric

andric Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Thank GOD they didn't leave that as the final design! The production 275s look so much more graceful and flow so much better imo.

4. cph81

cph81 Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
  5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #6 Ed Niles, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Note the chrome trim on the tail, outside trunk hinges, lack of windwing, and extra hood bump. Just a bit different.

7. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Maybe on Mike Sheehan's site you will see photos of 6437. He sold it many years ago and restored it for Hong Kong customer. It was green then and I remember seeing it at Monterey maybe 1989-90 ??? (Lovely car)

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Gorgeous. I love those small details. Subtle, but add up to a lot.

9. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Monterey 1992 it was, shown with the original Torino licence plate "To685458"

10. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner

8769 was auctioned by Coys at Monaco in May 2004, maybe you can link to a photo there.

11. enzotoys

enzotoys Karting

Aug 12, 2004
    Québec City
    Full Name:
    Gilles Lachance
    Thanks for sharing with us those two photos of 06437 Ed. According to Bruno Alfieri, 06437 is a one-off executed by Pininfarina and was exhibited at the 1965 Frankfurt Motor Show. Its first owner was Battista Farina. Best regards.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Ed,

You may not remember this, but I've understand the nose on this car is longer than the production Shortnose.

john

PS. It's interesting that this car didn't have the unsightly front and rear window trim you see on the 250 Lusso and the production 275GTB.

13. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    6437 has the exact same details as 4335, another Ferrari specificaly designed, owned and driven by Batista PinFarina: no side vents on the left window, chrome ring around the tail, Ferrari script on one side of the registration plate and Pinin Farina script on the other side, special hood, special interior ( thicker and more confortable seat like 400 SA.)

14. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    It is interesting that the rear trunk lid has outside hinges
    like the much later cars with the torque tubes.

15. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Is that an extra hood bulge in the center or just a reflection?

16. andric

andric Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Its a bulge

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ed do you remember the mystery 275 GTB? There was a single sort of side view b&W photograph of it all alone in an old issue of Prancing Horse the FOC magazine. I seem to remember it had extra vents in the body and the editor asked if anyone could identify which model it was. Long before all the 'old' knowledge that floats around here with such clarity! Thanks
    CH

18. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    No, but some days I can barely remember my name! There are actually several GTB's with extra vents, some early examples of "comp cars" and some later modifications.

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    your pictures are always amazing Mr Niles. the memory may fade a bit, but the pics are priceless!

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One picture in 'The Prancing Horse' magazine issue number 48. Ed my memory is not so sharp either. No extra vents on this 275 GTB. Actually there were less vents; no vents on the sail panel behind the side window glass. The rear window glass was unique in that it wrapped around on the sides almost down to the rear fenders. Like you would see on the rear window on a 1978 Corvette coupe. External hinges for the the trunk lid. The roof drip moulding ran from the side glass ventipane windows back to the moulding around the rear window in a rather inelegant way. 3 spoke mag wheels on this one rather than wires. Any idea about what appears to be one-off design. Nice chrome on the exhaust and a clean spotless car as if recently completed, the car looked new in the period picture. Sorry no scan possible...
    CH

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hello kare: thank you for the link to the GTB. It looks somewhat similar but there are many subtle differences with the b&w picture car. Most obvious is a shorter tail on the pic(ture) car with no swept up Kamm lip so the trunk is also shorted. The whole rear panel between the tail lights is more vertical on the pic car than on the red car which tilts out toward the top with it's sort of built in spoiler. The pic car has bumpers and a street exhaust system implying at least initially it was a street car rather than a race car. The pic car is missing the trim around the rear glass that the red car has. The pic car has tighter radius rear wheel well area cut out. The red car has the rear wheel well lip swept back more; especially behind the tire. The pic car has the rear edge of the pass door coming almost straight down. The pass door on the red car is cut with slightly more curve as it angles towards the front of the car. Very interesting to compare these to similar but ultimately different cars.
    CH

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Does anyone else have "The Prancing Horse" magazine issue #48? Can they scan the picture of the 275 GTB on page 33 of that issue? No access to a scan here unfortunately. Thanks
    CH

23. cph81

cph81 Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks for the pictures, Ed. Nice one. First time see the 275 prototype.