GTV for sale -- more info? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

GTV for sale -- more info?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by FredParoutaud, Jun 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concours_d'Elegance

"...judged on the APPEARANCE..." are the 4 most important word of the description, with 'appearance' being the operative word. Just think about the name 'Concours D'Elegance'...

That an automobile as sinfully ugly as the Mormon Meteor should win any major Concour D'Elegance suggests that either political lobbying has an effect on the results at these events, or the current rank-and-file take the historical importance of an automobile far too seriously. A major 'Faux Pas' by the event for awarding this win Im afraid. Hopefully its not a sign of the times.

The Meteor is definately a fascinating car. A historic car. An important car. A valuable car. Even a very fast car in its day.

But beautiful, or elegant, it most certainly is not. As an English scribe once penned: "When it comes to the fairer attributes, the aforementioned car has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever". I could use that here.

In my book, a car that is not Elegant cannot win Best of Show at a major Concours D'Elegnce. Very simple really.

Unless of course...

2. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Actually, Joe, I agree with you. I was shocked by it when I saw it in 91, again last year.

Anyway....just another thing in life I have no control over :)

Fred

3. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    a common complaint, especially when it comes to best of show.

It could have come down to "it's time has come" as far as the judges are concerned. I don't know.

Certainly, and without a doubt, more elegant cars typically win at Pebble. Maybe...always win at Pebble.

Maybe this was influenced by the recent addition of hot rods to the show? Something I find far worse than the MM.

I guess back to our regularly scheduled programming... :)

FRed

4. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    #104 FredParoutaud, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    #105 Jota 5084, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Hummm....Joe, you gotta watch out what you say about some of these old Lambos -- especially on the internet. You never know when those words might come back to bite you in the...you know where:

>>Compare how different the GTV has become from its original interior disposition to its restored state: steering wheel, shift lever, seats, door panels, dashboards. To hell with a sympathetic correct-for-period restoration! LOL. Very cool car though.
    Joe
    www.joesackey.com
    <<

Reading the current thread, I have to ask... Joe, have you changed your stance on "correct restorations to factory original?" Especially when it concerns the worth of a car. Because now it looks like you're really talking this car up -- a lot -- even with so much that is obviously "incorrect" about it.

I'm asking in all seriousness...because now I'm confused about your stance on factory originality (which I thought was genuine).

Fred

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It is just as "original" as all the other GTVs (Oh wait, there's only one!).

It would be nice if it was completely "unmolested" (although I like the color now) but that just isn't an option.

Perhaps some of those parts still exist or someone might recreate them. Regardless, it's still #1 and certainly worth some attention.

8. ilrglen

ilrglen Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2005
    Yorkton, SK, Canada
    Full Name:
    Glen Kohut
    I believe the steering wheel is now back to the correct one. Never noticed that crazy original shift lever before. I think I much prefer the one it has now but it shouldn't be difficult to put that back to original.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nope, I still feel the same. Someone should buy this car and put it back to the way it was. Cant be that hard to do. Its being done with the Miura Spyder right now and I always though both cars were very cool...

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I just scanned this entire thread.

I must say thanks to you Fred for starting it - the rest of us have merely chimed in :)

But I must clarify two things:

1. It appear that nobody talks this car up more than you do! And thats not a bad thing by the way...

2. This car does all its own talking. Even though the car was available, there were absolutely no plans to start a thread on it. I cant remember any car I have privately or discreetly offered to loyal clients of mine that has garnered such an immediate and decisive response. With most other cars usually a client will ask "how much?" first, then states if he wants it after consideration. With this car its the other way around.... I have found out that this is one of the few automobiles that needs absolutely no introduction in certain circles.

11. IsleroMan

IsleroMan Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Gee, I never had that problem with my Isleros, but then they were the pinnacle of the 400GT line. ;^)

12. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Ok Joe, Fair enough.

I just wish you wouldn't be so darned harsh on folks who don't have a "100% factory correct" restoration. It's the nature of these cars, and the GTV is (certainly, and obviously) no exception.

As far as I'm concerned, the GTV is extremely important, and I'm excited that it's up for sale. Not sure why that excites me, but I guess "any news is better than no news."

I'm hoping this is a sign that the early lambos are starting to get the recognition they deserve, "100% factory correct" (whatever that means with a hand-built lamborghini) or not.

Cheers,

Fred

13. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    PS: Are you going to announce here when it sells?

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I do believe I have mellowed :)

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Unless the new owner requests otherwise, why not?

16. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    lol!

I DO believe you must have!

;^D

Fred

17. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Did the GTV sell?

New or old owner showing it at Pebble this year?

Fred

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No comment (Im sure you understand)

19. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, Joe, I guess we'll just have to look at the car's plaque at Pebble that will have the owner's name on it. lol!

I'll be sure to post it here and "reveal his secret identity!"

(either that...or it didn't sell. I guess we'll know next month)

Cheers,

Fred

20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What's going on with the GTV? Not sure if it was supposed to be at Pebble, but no such luck. I would have thought people would have come out of the woodwork to buy it. I know if I had the funds, I would be all over it.

What's the skinny?

Alberto

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    We are waiting for Fred to tell us :)

22. ilrglen

ilrglen Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2005
    Yorkton, SK, Canada
    Full Name:
    Glen Kohut
    The car is no longer available. That's all I can say.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #123 2NA, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    Alien abduction?

Let's hope the most historically significant Lamborghini doesn't remain "off-world" for long.

24. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Ha! No I can't, Joe. But, I don't care either. I don't keep track of any owner information (unless it happens to be an acquaintance)... just interested in the cars, not the owners.

It was too bad not to have it at Pebble, don't know where Heady gets his information from but I was really expecting a good turnout. It was pretty disappointing.

Joe, did your buddy grab that interim at Goodings? If not...why on earth not??

Cheers,

Fred

PS: As for the GTV I just assumed it never sold...until I hear otherwise. (yes Joe, I know my assumptions are often wrong so no need point that out yet again ;^D

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Mr Carolla did very well this past weekend with 3 cars bought. I cant say which ones. I can say some beer was consumed however...