275 GTC | Page 4 | FerrariChat

275 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Furanku, Sep 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    This is how I read it, but I'm not Italian. Yet. :)

The 4000 Prototype won't be the only sportscar for the next season. The "sport" version (minimum 50 cars) which will run at "le Mans", and the "grand Turismo" (minimum 500 cars) version of the 275GT/B, which can also race, however this will be left exclusively to clients. There will be, obviously, also a certain number of 'Dino'. There will be 50 units built, and this type of car will also only be run in the hands of privateers

Onno

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #77 Napolis, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    What mystery? Ferrari made some cars eligible for "Showroom Stock". Steel bodied, 3 carbs and may have stamped them with a C. They weren't factory race cars. Mark's ran at the Ring. Did your friend's run anywhere? For a fee Classiche will answer your questions but your friend doesn't want to pay for that. Marcel's bored with answering questions for free. That doesn't surprise me. Bill told you what he knows. Stating the mystery deepens is silly.

3. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    The word "mistery" might not be the right one here, but there are still unanswered questions. We are not sure about the actual number of cars that were stamped "GTC", we don't know specificaly if there are any differences between GTC and GTB, and some people here don't even believe it was purposedly stamped differently.

You're probably right, Classiche may answer all those questions, the point is my friend is curious about his car history, but has no will to sell his car, therefore the fee that may be considered as an investment in case you think it can ad value to your car becomes ridiculously high.

If Marcel is bored with answering questions for free, that's perfectly understandable. I was only refering to him since I saw many very interresting messages from him, and I thought he enjoyed sharing his knowledge. If it's not the case anymore, I will not blame him.

Now just to clear things up, there are two reasons why I started this thread. The first one is that I wanted to help a friend who wants to know as many things as possible about his beloved car. The second is that I thought Ferrari lovers (including myself) would be interrested in knowing the existence of 275 GTC stamped cars, and in learning as many details about those cars as possible. I think it's clear from the very beginning I have personaly no financial gain whatsoever on the outcome of this conversation. I have discovered the little world of vintage Ferrari through this friend I've been talking about, so pardon me if i'm not used to it. In this world I'm starting to feel the line between information that can be shared freely and information that bears potential profit is very thin and hard to define.

While I was writing this message, I got a call from my friend. I'll meet with him and his engine mechanic tomorrow, I'll let you know if I find out anything of interrest.

Cheers

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Beyond Marcel there is an F-chatter that goes by Tom Roland that may have the ability to get difinitive factory information, if he doesn't already have the information. Another, although he does not come to F-chat, is Jess Pourett. Jess does part of the year in France so you/your friend may be able to make some contact with him. Jess does have standing with the factory achieve section.

I too remain curious on the quantity of 275 GTCs actually made and stamped as such. Related to that is across what timespan were these cars were built. Were they built in batches or randomly interspersed.

By extrapolation from the apparent fact that this is an unknown/little known model designation I would think that the quanity is quite small. I think it would be interesting to understand if some of these cars were bought as just a normal 275 GTB because it was available at a dealer versus knowing it had a specific competion purpose.

Jeff

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    People who want all kinds of information but want to keep all details of their own vehicle secret usually do not fare as well as people who share and contribute to the general community. You might pass that message on to your friend. If he wants to post photographs of his car and the differences he has noted, he will probably get more cooperation. Nobody wants to spend time providing information that will disappear into a black hole with no benefit to the community.

Napolis and others who share their information are the model that will generate all the help and information they need. Secret squirrel owners who hide all their nuts do us little good.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Exactly. While it is nice to think that F-Chat is a respected source it is primarily a community and should be respected as such.
    There has been a trend of late where single issue posters visit looking to take more than they share.
    Be it arguing a legal case, establishing bona-fides for a particular car or some other attempt to further a personal interest. I, for one, resent it when people are not candid about their interests.
    Be open with us and you'll get all the assistance you could ever want.

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    +1

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    +2

9. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I understand your point of views. It's true that not being able to post pictures of the car I'm mainly talking about is dissapointing to most of you. If you look closely at my posts, you may still see that I'm trying to share all I've got. You had a description of the car, which looks like any other 275 GTB series 3. You have the description of the stamping, and if you read carefully you can even guess its serial number that I didn't want to write so that it's not easily findable by a google search. I told you everything we know about its history, what we've heard from mechanics, and I know it's not a lot, but except pictures that I was specifically forbiden to post, I told you everything. It is clear that if it were my car, you would have many, many pictures, I would even be happy to make it its own website, but me and my friend are not from the same generation, and he has lived through experiences that made him a very secret person (in a small village, people get jealous easily, and you can find your animals killed in your garder for no reason at all...). Now I will try again tomorrow to convince him to share in a more pictural way, but I have to be honest, I don't think he'll accept.

About the single poster aspect, I understand that you can think that of me. I've been reading threads for a long time, but never had anything of interrest to share/ask with you, and to be franc, you're all quite intimidating! As I told you, I'm not an owner, and probably won't be one in the next 10 years. I did everything I could, I was good at school, gratuated one of the best business schools in my country, I go a good position an have a salary that many would envy me, yet I'm not even close to get my hands on one of the cars I'm dreaming of. This world, vintage Ferrari, is the priviledge of very few people, and I am always amazed when I check your profiles. Please understand that compared to you, to your experiences, I have very few to share and to give you. But if you let me stay around, on this thread or other ones, I will learn, and in 10 or 20 years, I may be able to help people with my knowledge too.

OK, I guess that was a little off-topic, but it felt good to tell you where I stand. Please be assured of my sincerity, and I'm sure you'll soon recognize my passion for Ferrari. I may not be able to touch it physicaly every day, but it's with me all the time.

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    A part from the merits of the "275 GTC" question (and I think you all know where I provisionally stand), I have been very favorably impressed by the sincere tone of Furaku's private correspondence with me.

Good luck Furaku, I hope you find your vintage Fertrari soon.:)

11. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed.

Someone has to start posting at some point.... And hey, this is far more interesting than 80% of the stuff typically found here....

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #87 swift53, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    Why is it in this world, that we at times, are always acting in other persons' interests? As in "I have a friend that is having an impotence issue, and he asked me if you could diagnose over the phone", while pointing at his ugly wife's photo...?
    I mean, I can understand privacy, but you know, I have a friend that has a Dino, that would love to ask, but...Please, fill in the blank...
    This is f-chat, not the Da Vinci blah blah blah, no? If pm's are sent at will, why not post publicly, or, are we trying to "protect the innocent"? How frightfully dull can it get. We love photos, right?
    Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    So, what do we know now? Proof, photos, pm's? Even if you speak only Sanskrit, you can in all likelihood, babel-fish it...Give me a break, or...is it brake?
    Regards, Alberto

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hopefully the OP has learned what he was seeking.

Not all answers will ever be known about Ferraris in the Paddock, some were race cars in prototype classes, some were entered as GTs, and sometimes they made one, that appeared to be something else.....;)

I doubt the modern company will ever clear the air on such things, Napolis has already made them say more than they would like to admit, I'd imagine.

15. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I just remembered one thing I saw on a forum. It's a French thread about car meetings taking place every first Sunday of the month in my town. It may be of interest for those who really want pictures...;-) And I didn't post anything...
    http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet379137-385.htm
    Now it really doesn't help in finding answers, and I somehow doubt we'll ever be able to have everybody on this forum to believe 275GTC were no mistakes (or the contrary, I'm still not sure myself!).
    More tomorrow about the engine and hopefully chassis, I hope. I'll share as much as I can, I can assure you of that.

16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    See if your friend will at least allow photos of the data plate and stampings. These will identify the car but not show the house/town/person/license plate.

Jeff

17. toddtim

toddtim Rookie

May 4, 2010
    Lubbock, Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Timberlake
    This is the best thread I have read to date! I sincerely look forward to gaining more knowledge about this! I too wish we could have pics of "the friend's" 275 specimen!

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge...the folks on here never cease to amaze me! I now know where to come with any and all vintage Ferrari questions.

Cheers!
    TT

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hopefully it is not the black GTB with the street Borranis. Those would never have worked on a race track. Completely different from the competition wire wheels. The silver car is very attractive.

I agree with Jim and see no reason Ferrari would not have done a GTC. If they could charge extra money for it at little additional cost to themselves, I am sure they would have done it. In just a few years Enzo would be bargaining with Ford and ultimately "merge" with Fiat. They needed every dime they could find back then.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    "Juste un détail pour la forme, la Ferrari noire était une 275 GTB/2 de 66, et non une GTS (qui est un spyder avec un look complètement différent). Plus haut, la même en gris est une 275 GTB/4 (pour 4 arbres à cames au lieu de deux). Superbe plateau, hier, vraiment!"

Translation:

Just a detail for the shape, the black Ferrari is a 275 GTB/2, '66, and not a GTS (that is a spider with a completely different look) Further up, the same in gray is a 275 GTB/4 (4 cam instead of two) A super set yesterday, truly!

Et alors?

"So?"

I simply don't get it. Hopefully someone will have a lot more to say. The suspense is simply...
    This is more than Insp.Clouseau can deal with...

Regards, Alberto

20. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    As I wrote before, my friend changed the wheels to Boranis some years ago.

21. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I actually had forgotten I had written those comments! You asked for pictures, and I remembered I had seen some that I technicaly didn't post myself, so I thought it was a good way to satisfy your curiosity, gain some people's trust without betraying my friend's directives...

About stamping pictures, I will probably not post a picture of my friend's car's, because he would not want me to for reasons I'm not here to judge. What I do have is pictures of 08457 stamping. I wanted to ask you guys, those pictures were sent to me by Mark K, who's currently selling the car. Do you think it's OK to post it, given that there are already many pictures on Mark K's website, including engine stamping, and that the picture of the GTC stamping is not on the website probably because he didn't want the site to be overloaded with pictures? I honnestly think it can do no harm to him, but I would really like to be sure. You're gonna tell me I should ask him directly, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think he wants to hear from me anymore, since I turned out to be just another "time waster", after my friend's friend would decide he was not interrested in the car.

Time to sleep in France, good night everybody, and thank you very much to those who argued in my favor, please know it meant a lot to me.

22. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Furanku,

I don't know what the protocol is on posting something like that. Mark Ketcham is a member here http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=88045 if anyone would like to DM him to see if posting would be OK.

Best,
    Dave

23. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't post any update before, but unfortunately I had nothing new / interesting to write. I went to my friend's on Friday, but his mechanic was unable to point out any difference with a "normal" 275 GTB. The only thing I learned is that originally the car had seats with horizontal stripes, when all the other 275 I've seen had vertical stripes.Given their worn out aspect when my friend bought the car in 1976, those were probably installed in the car when it was originally assembled. I don't know if it was an option or whatever.

For me, it was an occasion to get in the car for the first time and go to a small tour with my friend driving. Apart from the fact I am not used to cruise in a car with no seat belt on, I felt the car was quite comfortable, and the roar of the engine, even not going at higher speeds than 5000/min, was astonishing. Before Friday, I couldn't wait for that moment when I could actually run in this car. From now on, I can't wait for the next time i'll be able to accompany my friend in one of his cruises again!

My friend is still working on getting the build sheet of his car. Once he has it, we'll try to clear things up about the hypothetical differences that may or may not make this car special in any way. I'll keep you posted when I learn more about that. Again, thank you all for your inputs and views!

24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #99 T308, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is Mark still the owner of this car? I have pre-restoration photos of the car that the current owner may enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I think he finally sold the car, judging by the simple fact the ad is not on his site anymore.
    Thanks for the pictures, do you know where those were taken? I know the car was, at some point, maintained in France before racing at Le Mans Classic, but those look much older to me.
    For those who followed this thread 4 months ago, we still have not managed to get new information, in particular my friend has still not got his hands on the mounting sheet of his car, but it may be on its way... Anyway, I haven't forgotten my thread, and if I ever have new elements to share, I will keep you informed.