The Adams Probe 16/Durango 95 - A Clockwork Orange movie car... where is it now? | FerrariChat

The Adams Probe 16/Durango 95 - A Clockwork Orange movie car... where is it now?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ApexOversteer, Jan 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Made in 1969 by the Adams Brothers, the Probe 16 was a outrageously styled car, of which only 3 were made.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It was known in Stanley Kubrick's 1971 film A Clockwork Orange as the Durango 95, the vehicle that carried our anti-hero Alex and his Droogs into the night to play "hogs of the road", finally taking them to the novelist's house and the famous Singin' In The Rain scene.

The car then drifted into obscurity for all but a few anorak petrolheads. It would reappear in 2004 as one of the voting choices in Top Gear's segment Restoration Rip Off. It was joined by a Chrysler once owned by Keith Moon, the Queen's Land Rover, a Lotus 10 ordered by (but never delivered to) James Dean and Paddy Hopkirk's first racing Mini Cooper, which eventually won the voting.

Click to watch the Top Gear segment on the Probe 16

As any Top Gear fan knows, the Probe 16 wasn't chosen for restoration, and even if it had been we'd never have seen it, we never did get to see the results of the restoration of the Hopkirk Mini.

So where is the Probe 16 from A Clockwork Orange now? Has it been restored, or does it remain in that English lockup, rotting away still?

2. pitbullforte

pitbullforte Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    i tought these should have one the TG voting, it is crazy and exclusive.

3. lola9090

lola9090 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    It is 99% restored alive and well. I'll post a pic if I knew how!!

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell

To embed pictures in a post you have to use the "Manage Attachments" function in the "Additional Options" window below the text window when you reply.

Click "Manage Attachments" and the manager pops up.

Click the top "Browse" button, and use the "File Upload" window that pops up to tell the manager where the picture you want to attach is on your computer. I've chosen a nice Countach, pic #004_4.

Once you have chosen the pic, click "Open". The "File Upload" window disappears. Return to the manager window and repeat for any other photos you wish to add, up to 4. Then click "upload". Wait for the "current attachments" section of the manager to appear with the name of the uploaded picture inside it.

Your picture is now uploaded. You can close the attachment manager, complete the text of your post and "Submit Reply". You photo will appear at the bottom of your post, below any text you have written.

Unsubscibed members are limited in the amount of attachments they can add to posts, Subscribed members are unlimited.

I can't wait to see the photos of the Probe!!!

5. lola9090

lola9090 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    #5 lola9090, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    WOW! Nice work! What a car! Makes me very happy that it was saved and restored! Thanks for posting these!

7. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    too bad alex hasn't aged as well.......

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Wow.... so, how did you end up with one of three cars made?

And, any idea where the other two are?

Mike

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    The first one is unknown today, possibly burned and destroyed. The second car is in a private collection in Ottawa, Canada. This is the third Probe 16 and the most famous, being the A Clockwork Orange movie car.

10. lola9090

lola9090 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    The other two cars are now being restored. One lived in California and in a sorry state, the other in Canada. Both are being restored together in Canada I believe. I'm now restoring my Probe 2001.........

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #11 ApexOversteer, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    So the rumors were true and Probe #1 (AB2) still exists... nice! I'd love to see pics of your Probe 2001!

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #13 DenisC, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Actually, the other 2 are here in Ottawa, I was there last fall, one car in storage (as stated in poor shape- but since the other is so close it would be easy to replicate any part) and the other is in a collection. I was it unfortunalely it was parked close to the wall and too boxed-in to examine it properly. The celan one is in very ggod shape, would not need a restoration, a simple refresh would do.

You guys realise these were powered by a rear mounted small 4 cylinder motor, you get in the car by stepping over the side glass, in through the sunroof, lie on your back with the steering column between your legs like a go-kart and runs on 13 or 14inch wheels :) I am not quite sure why they are (if they are) considered production cars or kit cars ??

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Austin 1800cc straight fours indeed. I love how you have to climb over the side and the roof slides into place over you, like a fighter jet canopy. It's about the only car in 1969 that could out "wow" a Miura at a stop light. They are the ultimate expression of that 60's sci-fi sub-genre of the mod culture. If David Bowie's Space Oddity was a car, it would be a Probe 16.

15. lola9090

lola9090 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    Funny you should say that as the guy who owned my car before it was sold to Pollock in the US was a genuine playboy in London and he owned a Miura as well. He found he had more luck picking up the girls with the Probe than the Lambo.

He had enough of the Probe when the rear wheel came off yet again as the design of the rims put too much force through the Imp stub axle which tended to snap. This time he swiped a lamp post!!

Peter Adams fitted a Triumph 1500 stub axle instead which cured the problem.

16. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    I think that you will find that there were more than 3 of these cars made.
    I remember at least 2 of them being for sale at one time in England. One in my old home town.
    It was also offered as a kit, after sales of the built car didn't come up to expectation.
    Don

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wow, what a fascinating car. I had no idea!!!

And to find the owner is a member here too!!! This is just too much!!! Thanks for being here among us Lola9090!!!!

PDG

18. nugent

nugent Rookie

Oct 17, 2010
    #18 nugent, Oct 17, 2010
  19. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It looks like a '60s Le Mans racer from the back. Very cool looking car.

20. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Nice to see that they are still alive and restored (or being restored).

21. nugent

nugent Rookie

Oct 17, 2010
    #21 nugent, Jul 14, 2012
    ww.probe2001.com is now relaunched as www.adamsprobe.com. The site has full information on all known Adams Probe 15, Adams Probe 16 and Adams Probe 2001 cars as well as a section on the Concept Centaur GT, a Probe 15 derivative.

22. Durango 95

Durango 95 Rookie

May 4, 2013
    Is Here at Adams Probe 16.

Adams Probe 16

They also have information on the Probe 15, Probe 2001 and Centaur GT.