My 458 caught on fire today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 458 caught on fire today

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by leead1, Feb 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hello robert

Great to hear from you.

No I do not go to those type of resturants. I must confess I went to Taco Bell :)

Lee

Okay I do once in a while but I park my car and normally the valets give me a special protected space so they can quard the car. I keep the key while eating :)

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good man!
    I see your fine taste translates to food as well as cars.

3. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    it appears the problem has a simple fix.
    good luck

4. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am sorry that the F40 did not work out for you. But your F458 is one hell of a consolation prize. I hope, after this incident, that the rest of your miles are trouble free and full of enjoyment.......Steve

5. Dereiter

Dereiter Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    Orlando, Fl
    Full Name:
    Alexander Korenkoff
    Lee,
    do you work with Anthony (Orlando Ferrari Dealer)?

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since your 458 is at the dealers, have them check for cracks in the heat shields as well. I took my 2010 July issue 458 in for all the formal recalls but during one of the recall fix-ups, an astute mechanic observed many small cracks in the heat shields. Ferrari completely replaced them.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #32 leead1, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    I work with Anthony King. He is a great person and salesman. I also consider him a freind but that should not be a surprise, everyone who knows him feels the same way.

I have asked him to find me a manual car. I am not a fan of any padal shifters. He did find a 599 6 speed manual. I do not know if I would like the 599 over a 458.

Thoughts and opinions are vappreciated.

Lee

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thank you I will do that.

Lee

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #34 leead1, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Thank you Steve.

Well that what happens when you get fat and old. :)

I love that dealership. I was there talking about my 458 and the office guys and mechanics came out and sang me happy birthday. I know that sounds like it is not a big thing but it was a nice gesture. They said I was family. i told them with a smile my first thought was I was going to be mugged for burning up a ferrari :)

Lee

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Many people say that the 599 isn't a very good match for the manual transmission, just doesn't feel right. I've never driven either, so I can't say from personal experience.

11. igirl

igirl Rookie

Jan 23, 2010
    France
    Hello Lee

After a R8 V8 and a LP560-4, I've got now a 458. But before ordering my 458, I've tested a 599 HGTE, and I didn't like it: it feels like a GT and not like a sport car, no sensation of speed, gear (paddles) too slow...

We all should try cars before buying... If possible of course. :)

12. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    I drove the 599HGTE on track: feels heavy, too much roll, feels like a GT, not a real sport car. Switching between the 458 and 599HGTE, the 458 was so much more enjoyable!! (you can brake much later, it turns flat, etc)

13. Dereiter

Dereiter Rookie

Feb 5, 2011
    Orlando, Fl
    Full Name:
    Alexander Korenkoff
    Absolutely! I know Anthony and agree that he is a great salesman.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thank you all for the 599 advice. I will look at it and maybe drive it. I tend to like sport cars not touring cars. Ths is why I also have a 450-4 lambo Garlardo convertible and not a Murci.

The dealer called and my 458 should be ready next week. The 458 is easy to get in and out of, life is good :)

Yhanks to all

Lee

15. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Life is good......Have fun when you get your car back......Steve

16. xto

xto Karting

Mar 20, 2006
    Hi Lee: The 599 GTB Fiorano is a wonderful car. Yes it IS a Grand Touring Berlineta and that is what I like. This car was designed to travel fast between cities and be comfortable at the same time. There is room for luggage and custom luggage is available. If you prefer a hard sport/track car than the 599 may not be for you but, watch out, for oldr guys like us its comfort and speed mayl seduce you. The beautiful Ferrari V12 up front may win you over aslo. Good Luck!

17. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Lee, you know how much passion I have for the 458. Of all the ferraris I've owned, it provided the most fun for me. However, I just traded mine in for a 599. I think by the end of this summer, you'll start to see the depreciation curve start to impact the 458, so having driven it for 3000 miles, I was ok with the switch. I've only driven 20 miles or so but it is an amazing machine. Very similar to American muscle brute power. Try driving one. You may not miss the 458 when you do

18. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Already Joe? I thought u were going to call me?
    A 599?? That will surely depreciate soon!

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Great to hear from you and thank you for your thoughts on the 599. My 458 should be ready early next week. They brought in a manual shift 599 for me to test drive. After your post I will give it deeper thought. The dealer told me the 458 is still worth what I paid for it so no loss there.

Have you ever owned or driven a Mclaren? The dealer called me a few weeks ago and at the time they had a new model called the 12c coming in June. I have never seven seen one but the pictures look exciting and some one posted a video driving it.

Any thoughts?

Lee

20. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286858

21. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    So sorry to hear about your loss, but happy to find out that you were not injured.

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sorry that really sux. The F40 is way different from a 458 but a great car & will hold its value much better

This is a great reason for a fire extinguisher in your car. I have one in every 1 of my cars

23. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

The 599s took significant depreciation in 2010 and now are in a decent range for the value. I believe the % reduction in value between the 458 and 599 will hurt 458s more than 599s, especially when the spider version finally gets released. I sold above msrp which is not easy to do in any economy, let alone today. so, i count my blessings, prayed to my local dealer who pulled the deal together for me with the greatest of ease and now I have a perfect 599!

24. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Lee, I'm lucky enough to have a Mclaren delaership opening in my backyard (Mclaren of Philadelphia) and was asked about going on the list. I'm impressed with the announced performance but it looks a bit too much like a Lotus to me and very plain. Not my taste, but certainly looks like a beast of power and performance.

25. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Joe, congrats on your new ride! Did you go for the 6 speed manual?