Any exotic owners Big Island? | FerrariChat

Any exotic owners Big Island?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by dksu, Jun 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    Just wandering if there are exotic car owners out here on big island. I think I once saw a Bentley coupe. Also, my neighbor has a Pentera.

2. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I saw a 308 in Waikoloa Resort in December but that is really the only one I have seen. I wonder where one would service their cars maybe that is why you don't see too many Fcars. Would you have to ship them to CA or Oahu to get a major service?

There are some truly amazing drives on the Big Island. It would be incredible to have a Fcar there especially on the roads North Kohala going towards and past Hawi. Everytime I'm on the Big Island I try to imagine driving a Ferrari unfortunately it doesn't translate with a Pontiac rental car.

3. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    For minor oil changes and what not, a Ferreri tech comes from Oahu to service my F cars. Actually in couple weeks, a tech is coming out to work on my 458. My f430, I sometime just take it to a local shop here for simple oil changes.

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I am down here in Naalehu near South Point. Although I specialize in Mercedes 300SL I am capable of most facets of repair and restoration of all European Classics pre 1990 or so. www.w194.com Mark Passarelli 808 443 9100

5. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Was in Kona about a month ago. Obviously lots of top-down drivers enjoying that great weather but was really surprised by the "lack of talent" (car-wise ;) ).
    Spotted a single NSX and a nice 911 but that was about it.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

White Pantera usually at Costco parking lot?
    I once saw two Diablos heading north out of Kona.
    There is a very nice older lady with an Avanti.
    I have seen a Mondial in Kona and it didn't look like a rental.
    The two guys at the repair shop on the corner close to Killer Tacos has a couple of nice vintage Corvettes.

7. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I live on the Hilo side of the Island and have a 328 GTS, an Alfa 1750 GTV, and a Cobra replica. No need to send the cars anywhere for maintenance. I have a highly competent semi-retired mechanic friend who keeps them in fine fettle.

8. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not sure if my neighbor is usually parked at Costco, but I'm assuming it's him. Glassman, are you currently residing in Kona?

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Back home next week for a while. Then back to Montana for the summer.

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I saw a red ford Gt with white stripes when I was in Hilo on my way to the Volcano park. Anybody here?

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Black Cobra replica on Thursday headed towards Kona from the Hilton area.

12. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Been staying at Hilton Waikaloa for past 4 days. Most exotic thing I've seen driving around the island were a couple of 911's. I agree that the roads appear to be fabulous for driving an F-car. On my way to and from the Volcano park, driving the rental Ford Fusion, I averaged about 70+mph and was passing everything in sight. A lot of fun!

13. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #13 Pass, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    That's why I chose the Big Island.. I am anticipating hosting the Gullwing Group Convention in a few years. Once I can secure a group shipping rate from one of the carriers.

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Wow, will that only include just 300 SL's or newer SLS AMG's as well. If you get a great turnout of the 300 SL's that would rank right up there with seeing those 22 Ferrari 250 GTO's all lined up together on the coast of Pebble Beach, last weekend. How many gullwings do you anticipate?

15. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #15 Pass, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    So far.. IF the GWG Board approves the venue I have at least 10 people that are willing to ship their cars. Most of them have shipped before to Australia for the Adelade Ralley. And yes you can join the Gullwing Group as an associate with a SLS or any vintage Mercedes. We have many members that come to the conventions and still do the ralley even in their rental cars. GWG is pretty laid back.

16. c2kid

c2kid Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 26, 2014
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    geoffrey g brown
    aloha, i'm geoff in puna and am currently restoring a carburetted 308 gt4, i also have a numerous porsches, a 59 bugeye, a puma, and several vintage british bikes. at one point i had 14 911's. there's more cars here than you think. cheers, geoff

17. obryan214

obryan214 Rookie

Sep 2, 2018
    Tacoma Washington USA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Owe
    Their is a guy by Painted Church with a collection of old Chrysler products and I've seen a few street rods, Corvettes and Porsches in my travels to the big island.

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There was a silver Porsche 996 GT2 that lived near the Wailoka Village. The thoughts I had about taking it out late at night and going across the island ;)

obryan214 likes this.
  19. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Saw the ubiquitous white Pantera in the Costco parking lot again.
    The owner of Route 66 Automotive repair (specializing in Corvettes) has a red 599.
    And I briefly saw a white C4Lusso around Kawaihae.

20. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Oh, and there's a yellow Lambo, I think one of them Aventadors, bombing around Kona. Also saw it in Waikoloa another day.
    Met a nice blonde woman in a newer black Maserati convertible and gentleman with a black Audi A10, both of whom just moved to the Big Island.

Unless one is going to fly a tech in from Velocity, in Honolulu, the only guys I know who could possibly work on these exotics are "Route 66 Automotive" and "Getzinger Motorwerks".
    Anybody know of someone better?

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Not sure about Getzinger. They couldn't get one friend's Porsche running right after they did an EFI conversion. Kept wanting t throw more of his $$$ at it. Did the same to another friend.

22. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Humm,
    That gives me pause if GMW can't get the bomb-proof German machines easily working.
    For tricky stuff, I'd rather throw money at Velocity to get it done right once.
    I'm sure Route 66 can do common oil changes and maintenance.
    Thanks for your input!
    Gary

23. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hi,
    Just saw this old thread. I have a 1985 red-tan Mondial Cab on the Big Island.

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Here currenty for a while......Ferrari's are in Montana.

25. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    What do you have? Just curious why you don't bring one over.