Spec Racer Atom Series | FerrariChat

Spec Racer Atom Series

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sainthoo, Jun 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #1 sainthoo, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    The first race weekend for the spec Ariel Atom series has come and gone. I am a novice with no race experience, so I was thrilled to qualify 5th out of 13 cars for the second race on Sunday (3 of 4 guys ahead of me had race experience). I moved up to 3rd rather quickly and started gapping the field chasing 1st and 2nd (never could quite catch them), but unfortunately, made a rookie move and spun passing lap traffic at the end of the race, so wound up 7th, crap.

If there is a way to have more fun (legally that is), I don't know what it is. Everyone was cooperative on track, and all the participants had an absolute blast. We operate under the "13/13" rule.

Here is my car during the opening laps (working on publish a clip to include closing laps, including spin)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96W-hptZ2s&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

Here is the 4th place car I passed with lots of footage of me.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85XwqwPlp1Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

Hope ya'll enjoy and consider joining the fun. There are now 19 cars in the field with more surely to follow. Next race weekend is mid July, then mid August. More info here: http://www.arielatom.com/spec-racer-atom/

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    very cool!

a great series for a great car. have a blast! :)

3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9tYmldWM6w&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You did GREAT! W're going to make sure you get to that podium next time!

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Series will expand to Texas and California (actually a club track in Nevada, but driving distance from LA as I understand it) next year. The idea is to have multiple regional series with a run off.

6. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What is the "13/13" Rule?.....also what is the redline shifting point/s on those motors?....also cubic inch & horsepower, # of forward gears in gearbox.....Thanks

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    13/13: hit anyone and found at fault, probation for up to 13 months. Do it again, suspended for up to 13 months. Makes drivers think more and crash (into each other) less.

Ignition cut out: 8200, shift point 8000 (really hurts to hit the cutout)

2.0 liters (121 CID), ~200 bhp, six forward speeds

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Too bad, they are open wheel cars.

Dale

9. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Peter; Thanks for replying and the info....looks like the biggest "Bang" for one's buck when it comes to racing....."Speed is Addictive".....ask me how I know......Mark

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Definitely the best bang for the buck. I have several experienced clients who have one who have said just that...

11. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Amazing performance on the "cheap." I spend a little over $100 on gas in a weekend which is 6 practice sessions and 2 qualifying sessions of 25 min each and 2 races of 20 min +1 lap. (We burn about 3 gallons a session.)

Set of tires with mounting/balancing, etc. on the car is $1,000 which will last 1-2 weekends (flat spotting the tires is an expensive proposition). Oh yeah, Hoosier is sponsoring the series, so one set of free tires per day (2 sets per weekend) given to a competitor drawn at random.

I just tagged the tire wall last weekend requiring replacement of rear upright as well as upper and lower arms which only came to about $1800 in parts, and it was fixed overnight.

I have the track maintenance plan with TMI, so I do nothing but arrive and drive with thorough inspection, complete service after every weekend as well as all help with set up and tires, etc. track side. Additionally, any repairs necessary have free labor (the above suspension repair figure was without labor, because it was included) Absolutely ideal for me, but not everyone takes the deal. This option costs about $5,000 for the entire season. TMI will also store your car if you want for a small fee. Not sure what that is, because I got it free for 6 months when I signed up early

All the competitors are very collegial, and we have a great time together. Last weekend I passed a guy, and at the end of the race he jumped out of the car to pat me on the back and tell me how great the race was. He was right. TMI is great to work with and made me feel right at home having started with no experience. People like Peter have a better perspective on the whole of motorsports, but I think this is the best thing going by a mile. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. As a disclaimer, we have had some hot temps in cars up to the 218 -220 range, and they are working with Honda performance on a fix.

Christian

PS: footage of my tire lock up that led to the repairs mentioned above so that everyone can have a little chuckle at my expense.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Slu9kds0IQ[/ame]

12. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If anyone is interested in this series, one of the guys can't squeeze in SCCA and SRA, so he is selling his car "at a great price" (not sure what that is, but purchase price new is about 38K) It is a spec series, all the cars are nearly identical, but this car finished on podium multiple times. It is the yellow car in the videos above.

No affiliation with buyer, but if interested send me a PM, and I can put you in touch.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Fixed it for you! This car is a SMOKIN' deal!

14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Series is going well, added some cars this year, some guys dropped out/ moved on.
    We should have about 20 in the starting grid in September. Here is me, race #5 (Saturday).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDAWwciT1o&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

15. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    We will be running a winter series in Nevada, 4 races, 45 minutes outside of Vegas.

We will be a support race for ALMS at VIR

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBam_X3lIEA[/ame]

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If the 2012 Champ is planning to go racing in Vegas, he better put in for vacation time now. :)

17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #17 sainthoo, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    He sold his car, too bad, the front 4 would now give him a challenge.
    I just set my personal best on full course at 40 degree track temp - Full Course 2:06.9. I also managed a 2:53.4 on the Grand Course to take pole on Saturday - compare that time to some of the times set in Car and Driver "Lightning lap" (new one should be coming out in a couple days?)

Hope all is well in WS!

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/lightning-lap-2012-plotting-performance.pdf

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats!

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Series looks like a blast.
    Shinoo from Sector111 is helping out with the series on the west coast.
    Very tempting

20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Such an awesome series!

I had no clue that Honda Performance Development was involved with the series! Great group of guys! If only they'd call me back about the shop-hand position I applied for!

21. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    The west coast needs an arrive and drive arrangement.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I know Shinoo has been trying to arrange this...not sure if it's coming into fruition.

23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Winter Series in Vegas was a lot of fun. Hopefully this gets going on the West coast.

Here is a video from race #2, this past Sunday. 21 cars on the starting grid, series growing.

My Movie (4) - YouTube

24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congratulations to sainthoo for his 2nd place finish in that race! Too!

25. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Well, I averaged 2nd over the weekend. 3rd place in the 1st race and 1st place in the 2nd race. What is more fun than racing, honestly? Thanks for all your helping getting me to this point (Winter series champion too)!