Kev Hedges of Hedges Wealth Management | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kev Hedges of Hedges Wealth Management

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Europeanroadandracing, Oct 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raiderceb

raiderceb Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Madison, MS
    Full Name:
    Charles
    classy

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Sue the community? I've heard "it takes a village", but never thought someone would be so full of themselves to sue the village lol. Other than the empty threat, what's sad is that there is probably some low life attorney who would take his case...not because he can win, but because the attorney can bill and make money. He will sue for "slander" and then say the lies he told were in self defense lol.

Sad, really...but facts are facts and the truth will prevail. Maybe I'll sue the community too...not sure what for, but what the heck. Maybe I'll sue y'all for making me type this stupid post and making my hands hurt. Could be carpal tunnel!!! Y'all are gonna PAY!!!!! :D

3. Toxiclemonade

Toxiclemonade Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I hope his attorney collects the fees up front...

usshelena725 likes this.
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1

A shop just fixed my Ferrari, took FOUR YEARS, and presented me a bill for $4,996.00.

I have no idea if that is "fair" or "outrageous" or what...BUT it's a legitimate and legal bill, so I paid it and got my car back, (while they were in the hospital, from totalling an F40..:( )

This is an "aging receivable" and you need to pay it, brudda.

The funny thing about "lawsuits" is that by the time both sides complete discovery, they'll know EVERYTHING there is to know, about your business ethics.

Everything.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ALL of us?????

Holy smoke let me alert counsel........I didn't see that, before I posted my OPINION.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Your call, boss......

7. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers.
    Luke 6:44

This thread has already been viewed over 1,000 times, and I'm sure that most have formed their own opinions
    about the situation. Many of you have had dealings with both Karl and Kevin. Look at the contributions that
    have been made here on f-chat.

Karl, your reputation speaks for itself. Your kindness and knowledge has been spoken of many times
    by many of the forum members.

Kevin, I think you did yourself more harm in this thread than Karl ever could. You talk of his "struggling"
    business, unacceptable work. and "excessive" fees. I think if you were to do your research just on ferrarichat,
    you would find some very different opinions. It would have been so much easier to just make arrangements
    for services rendered and to take your business elsewhere!

Be very careful of your threats. Lawsuits have a way of bringing the truth into the light, and
    the light exposes all. Even that which you may wish to leave in the shadows!

As I said before, I hope that reputations aren't destroyed.

Just my opinion, afterall, it still is an open forum.

8. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Kevin, I would like to mention that you emailed me on 10/20/11 with this exact same quote from your post. I actually agreed to partial compensation and was willing to write the remainder off. I also told you that I was going to edit the original post to reflect that "our lost communication had been restored and that you had made payment in full."(even though I settled for less) Apparently you changed your mind and at this point so did I.
    I would gladly have Rob remove this entire thread if you decide to make things right and take care of payment in full. I'll gladly waive any interest charges.
    The decision is all yours.

Karl Troy

9. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Sounds like a fair deal to me...

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If Kevin and Karl work it out and agree to remove thread, that is fine with me. I absolutely won't do it because he's threatening me and FerrariChat.com.

11. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    +1 Totally agree with you.

12. raiderceb

raiderceb Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Madison, MS
    Full Name:
    Charles
    good deal...guy sounds pretty flakey to me anyway. I can imagine his threats are likely empty.

Nonetheless, I would imagine there are 1 or 2 fairly proficient Juris Doctorates here on fchat who could advise of any appropriate actions fchat may need to take in defense. :cool:

13. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well, I can guarantee you he won't be doing it with any investments from members here! (Unless you count the money he owes Karl....) I don't know, it seems to me that honest and up-front individuals who pay their debts RARELY (if ever) have to worry about "defamation of character" and the like...

14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Kevin -

You threaten Karl with going to various car clubs, etc. with this matter.

What are your feelings about having this thread linked to various automotive forums frequented by the collector car industry?

It seems it might be a more efficient way of spreading the message.

15. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Reference #3): Many members on FChat are already members of the Ferrari Club, so no need to spread lies about Karl there. I'm sure many of the Porsche Club members are quite familiar with Karl, so your lies about him and his shop likely won't fly there either. I've seen British cars at Karl's shop, and he's referred friends for service at a local Range Rover independent shop, so you're probably out of luck in that circle too. I don't think Karl's intent was to hurt your company. I think his intent was to warn the community you are threatening to sue about behavior which is suspect and sheds light on your character. And your threats to Rob Lay and the community definitely support my suspicions that you may have a broken moral compass.

Reference #4): Your firm being credentialed didn't prevent you from neglecting to pay your debts, or making up false statements about Karl and his shop. So, I'm not seeing the connection you are trying to make. If you can't pay your debts, or simply refuse to, how can others trust you? Being educated doesn't automatically make someone responsible, honest, ethical or moral. Bernie Madoff is educated...although not a Wharton grad.

Reference the last quoted statement: Gentlemanly conduct would have been to pay what you owed immediately. Offering a small portion is not gentlemanly or appropriate. I would bet that the majority of the bill was parts anyway. I think Karl's rate is lower than the local Ford dealer...maybe you should have taken your car, I mean the car you sold and no longer feel obligated to pay debts associated with same, to the Ford dealer...just a thought.

I'm not sure if I should seek legal counsel in the event you sue the community. I think I'm comfortable being represented by common sense. Maybe the community should hire a lawyer...if he/she charges a $5000 retainer, that should be like $0.50 per person??? I'm in! :D

I'm sure there are a lot of people you could bully, threaten, lie about...but Karl? The FChat community? Really???

16. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Already shared with Pelican Parts and Rennlist forums, so the Porsche "community" is well aware of who we're dealing with. My apologies to any Wharton grads for ending a sentence with a preposition.

I'll have to leave it to others to spread to the British car forums, on Kevin's behalf.

17. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Kevin, here's the response so far...this one is from a Porsche Club of America National Driving Education member (i.e. a member of the "inner circle" who communicate as you do and see your point of view):

I only read page one, but why is some dickwad ripping off a reputable (Ferarri) shop any concern here? $1300 dollars for some substantial work and he is complaining?? What area of Wealth Management is this fool in, Appalachian Moonshine Wealth management? And it's double funny when a ******bag tries to intimidate on an online forum with legal terms...

Please let us know how we can continue to spread the message of Kevin Hedges.

18. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #43 m5guy, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Mr Hedges' initial response brings up some interesting questions. Is anyone reading this thread practicing law in S.C.?

1) Are there really any State privacy laws that protect details of a business dispute between two individuals, or between an individual and a business?

2) When Mr Hedges chose to create a Ferrarichat user profile and respond in detail to Mr Troy's complaint in a public forum, did he pierce his own claim of privacy? I believe he did, but again, I'm not an attorney. My wife is, but she has no knowledge of the laws of that State.

It seems to me that this entire matter is now in the public domain, just like an argument between two people overheard by others in a bar, for example. It's a little late try to put the genie back into the bottle, so to speak. So following this line of reasoning, any of us who read this thread should be free to repeat it as long as it is represented as an unsubstantiated story, not stated as fact.

Interesting.

19. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    #44 GaryR, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    Wealth Management? Hedges is a thief, $1300 is a joke. There is no argument, a piece of dirt stole from a good man that cherishes fine cars. End of story.

20. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Karl and I have had several conversations concerning technical issues on various cars as well as some discussion about a problem I had had with another business down in his neck of the woods. I was fortunate to have received resolution in that matter, and respect the help and information that Karl was able to supply.
    Being a small independent myself, I can see the reason for Karl's OP. He is simply pointing out that he has an account outstanding and is wary of this customer's ethics. I regularly try to 'network' my group of customers as well as reciprocate business when able. I would feel bad were I to put the wrong two in touch.
    I look forward to reading a satisfactory outcome in all this, and also to meet Karl and some of you in person.

Best, Brian

21. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    The unbeatable defense of a slander allegation is if the statement is true. Karl made a truthful statement . He worked on Kevin's car who drove off without paying the bill. The time to have stopped this matter was before Kevin left Karl's shop.

To go on a public forum hoping to bring about closure and get paid is understandable.
    To go on a public forum and threaten sue the website and community is not.

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    In the insurance industry, we are required to take various course, one of them being Ethics. Although I have dreaded taking this course, and consider it to be a waist of my time, as I am ethical in my endeavors, I have found it to be very interesting indeed. I just read this and thought I would share a bit from the course....

"Moral principles or practices arise out of the desire to avoid the chaos of unrestrained personal behavior at the expense of the social order. Ethical dilemmas can be defined as undesirable or unpleasant choices relative to a moral principle or practice. What do we do? What are the chances that we’ll be caught? What does it matter, anyway?

A Harvard history professor, Henry Adams, observed, “Morality is a private and costly luxury.” Many agree and further believe that acting ethically limits their options, opportunities and their ability to succeed in business. While this thinking rarely proves to pass muster in a court of law, many ethical short cuts have seemed to go unpunished, giving rise to the thought that ethical behavior isn’t worth the risk of losing out. Lest you think that you’ve got a cop-out… the winds, they are a changin.’ What seemed to pass for OK has been redefined as criminal and penalties, in the unlikely event that you are caught, are just too large to risk. One of the basic insurance principles: Don’t risk a lot for a little."

Another thing that I found very interesting is this about P.T. Barnum...

Let’s posit that the primary goal of business is to increase profits. Decision-makers need to have a series of steps, and maybe some rules, to follow to get there. How do you increase profits? It seems reasonable that satisfying customers would be one way. Then that needs to be broken down further: how do you satisfy customers? A commonly held view is that one should go about business ethically with integrity, and honesty. Remember P.T. Barnum, the fellow who is most famous for his statement, “There’s a sucker born every minute”? It’s catchy, but Barnum never said it. In Capitalism, Democracy, and Ralph’s Pretty Good Grocery (Princeton University Press), John Mueller points out not only that Barnum didn’t say that, but that it would have been seriously out of character if he had. “Barnum’s great discovery,” writes John Mueller,“was not so much that such behavior is immoral but that from a business standpoint it is stupid.” Barnum did make an important financial discovery early in his career. He noticed that nearly all his deceptive schemes “ended in disaster,” reducing him to a low income of only $4 per week. His fortune, however, came almost wholly from his legitimate enterprises. As Barnum put it, “[N]o man can be dishonest without soon being found out and when his lack of principle is discovered, nearly every avenue to success is closed against him forever. As a mere matter of selfishness,” he concluded, “honesty is the best policy.”

23. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, don't get me started on that 'other business.' That deserves a thread in itself. I don't want to take away from the issue at hand. I hope Karl can resolve this issue.

24. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I wonder what "other business" you are referring to... ;) Yes, that does deserve another thread. Would be best if started by one of the MANY unsatisfied customers.

I think the issue of this thread is likely done...not resolved, but done. Either Kevin will pay his debt or he won't. We all know Karl's reputation will not be tarnished. We also know Kevin's firm has a Wharton grad. What else can be said?

25. blaze

blaze Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    I'll represent Karl and F-Chat.

For free.