Ford GT | FerrariChat

Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thought I'd start a thread about my GT experience

Been driving it a little now, still havent gone over 90 in it but its a great car

Much more like a 512TR than an F40, you can forget you are driving a Supercar if you dont look outside. Very comfy, little challenging to park though, that is if you actually want to open the door & get out LOL

Comfy ride too, great AC.

Biggest neg so far is the nasty rubber boot on the parking brake & shifter, gonna have to swap those out for alcantara soon

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Look forward to hearing your experiences !

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    William enjoy your FGT, As you will discover they are great to drive and just look at. Ford did a great job when they designed and built the 2005-6 Ford GT. It will always look fresh and modern.

Enjoy :)

Lee

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Where is the sweet spot in the rev range for max acceleration on the GT ?

Thinking of upgrading the shocks to Penskes, new wheels w blue centers so I can store the stock wheels, probably need some stickier tires too, racing harnesses, louder exhaust

5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I've always been under the impression that the Ford GT has harness mounting points behind the seats on the firewall, you have to remove some cover or trim to access them. Is this true ?

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C

For exhaust, do a search on the fordgtforum, and there is a video from Rally 1 where you can hear 5-6 different exhausts on the GT. Do a little research, because some of them do have a drone issue at certain rpm.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    William

I think you will find when you go to rev line in first and then shift into second that it will be right where you want it.

But to be honest I do not do that with my GT very much. I use the power but baby the clutch. I have found no weakness in the car from a realiability viewpoint. I did have to replace both the tach and speedometer early. But the car sits for a few months before I drive it snd it has not been a problem since.

Lee

8. Tonycan

Tonycan Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2002
    Here and there
    Full Name:
    Tony C.
    Great car you have there. I had mine ('06 Red with white stripe) for a little over a year. Replaced the stock exhaust---huge and heavy--with Borla. Saved a ton of weight and sounded great. Mine also had the big boom box speaker, which I removed and replaced with a carbon fiber piece. Once gone, it was the equivalent of adding an extra room to your house.

The car's acceleration is very linear, but the tall gearing takes away somewhat from the low-end grunt. Not much, if anything, you can do with the gears, but if it bothers you at all you can changeout the pully to get better throttle response. I also had a problem wearing my helmet in the car, which can be rectified with the "Gurney Bump." I elected not to mess with it. Bottom line for me: I wish I still had it. By the way, if you haven't visited the Ford GT Forum yet, you should do so. A great bunch of guys over there who stick to serious car talk and don't put up with any BS posts.

Enjoy!

9. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    I started with the Accufab setup. Nice but just not quite it. Then I switched to the FRP long tube straight headers... ah yeah! If you want it sound right, don't even waste your time with anything else. They are getting hard to find but are well worth it. Nothing else compares Hubie!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXHSUo-Ddw[/ame]

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Why did you sell that beauty?

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They still make those or do I have to look on ebay ?

12. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Put your feelers out on the GT forum. Someone will know of a set.

13. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    I don't know sometimes. There was a female involved leave it at that... I will say though I love my GT40 even more than I did the GT. It's just got a degree or three of straight up badassness that the GT didn't have.

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The Ford Racing headers are by far my favorite, but they aren't for everybody. Very loud when you give it some stick, tolerable when you don't.

15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #15 Art138, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bear hugged the existing muffler pulling it out...all 70 pounds while sitting on the SC... Ford racing Muffler is miniture of this one..very ugly....I went with the Accufab stainless steel....very light and observe the amount of room for air to flow around....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #16 Cobraownr, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have Stainless Works headers and exhaust w/cats (but no mufflers) on my GTX1 and really like the sound. It is loud without being LOUD and doesn't have any resonances. Photo and spiel below from the online Stainless catalog <<www.stainlessworks.net>>.

<< -------------------- >>
    1“ port matched headers with EGR tube, and metal matrix catalytic converters 3/8” thick CNC laser cut flanges, Slip on style merge collectors with 3” pipes, crossover with flex joint, and polished slash cut tips. Very aggressive exhaust note for GT owners wanting as much power as possible. For off road use only. Includes all clamps with (4) O2 extensions. Does not include gaskets or bolts, replaces complete factory exhaust system (manifolds, converters, muffler) and saves over 70 pounds over stock system. For thermal barrier coating add the thermal coat product to your cart along with the headers. (Note that headers in picture are thermal barrier coated)

17. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Here's a link to the Rally 1 Exhaust video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCvbsHAHDc[/ame]

In order
    Stock, Borla, Accufab, Ida, Tubi, Full FRPP

18. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    The FRP vids are sick!

19. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    The GT isn't peaky like your typical Ferrari naturally aspirated motor. It makes over 400 ft lbs of torque from 1500 rpm to redline. That said, the first mod I would do is a pulley/tune. You'll be dealing with 650+hp and 600 ft lbs then. I actually skipped that step and went straight to the Whipple blower, which pushed power up to about 800, still on pump gas. I went twin turbo the following year, and 900 hp at the tires on a dynojet is easy with 21 psi on 93 octane when you no longer have the parasitic drag of the blower to deal with........plus, even with straight heffner pipes, the exhaust note is very tolerable in the cabin.

Bridgestone makes a good replacement tire in a 345/35 size, and harness kits are readily available from vendors on the Ford GT forum.

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think I'll get new wheels w slicks, race harnesses & better brake pads first so I can tale her on the track before blowing up the HP

21. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Hoosier makes the exact tire sizes you need, even the oddball 315/40 rears. Totally agree w you...stock hp is more than enough for track work. Mine is way too overpowered for that now, so I use my ZR1 for the road courses.....

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I checked your profile and you have a wonderful car collection! :)

How does your M5 compare in driving? You said you had a ZR1 I would love to hear your view on the M5 and the ZR1

Lee

Sorry I mistyped Sanjay

23. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I'm a huge fan of the old E39 M5.....it's still one of the best 4 doors for the enthusiast, but even with the A&A twin centrifugal blower setup, coilovers, and Brembos, it's no performance match for a true supercar like the C6ZR1. It has an extra 100 hp, and weighs 800 lbs less, has a far wider track and lower CG than the M5.

Both are remarkably civilized daily drivers though, and the stealth factor of a relatively low key 4 door that can run low 12s in the 1/4 is part of my modded M5's appeal. The old school BMW high effort steering, perfectly weighted clutch and shifter, rev happy V8, and leather wrapped interior will never get old for me.

Now, in 2001, the M5 vs my 1990 ZR-1 was a great matchup of early 32V V8 performance. Both of those cars were evenly matched despite the fact that one of them was a 4 door sedan.... ;-) The C6 ZR1 is just in a different league....

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    :)

Lee

25. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a stock 2002 M5 also, great car but its a Stealth Ship and nowhere near as fast as the GT