Ducati 748 | FerrariChat

Ducati 748

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by joker57676, Apr 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I have decided to get back into riding, and have set an appointment to see a 2000 Ducati 748 for this Saturday with a private seller. I have done a fair amount of research regarding maintenance, common issues, etc. but thought I would consult the fchat braintrust. Is there anything I should be looking out for, any issues I need to be aware of, etc. Ay advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Mark

Edit: here's a link to the ad for the bike.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/2941828789.html

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all I know is valve adjustments need to be done on schedule.

maybe that's the Ducati version of timing belts? :p

obviously check for road rash, evidence of repairs, frame damage/cracks, etc.

one tip I got years ago on used sport bikes is to check the condition of the wheel at the tire bead; that can be an indication of frequent tire changes (esp on the back), which might tell you whether or not it's been abused/tracked.

3. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Thanks buddy. I spent some time on the phone with the owner last night going through maintenance info and just generally history on the bike. He reported to me no damage history other than scratch on the tank from the button on his jeans. Also reported a tranny issue last year that led to a complete rebuid of the tranny replacing all sprockets but hasn't had any problems since. All scheduled maintenance has been done on time by a certified tech who's name he gave; owner also told where the tech works if I wanted to contact him.

Honestly, the owner seemed very straight forward (my BS meter didn't go off) but we'll see what it looks like in person.

Mark

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Out of curiosity - why not the big brother 916 / 996 / 998?

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The 748 in particular has issues with the chrome flaking off the rocker arms. At the last valve adjustment they should have pulled the cams and rockers and inspected for wear, especially if any suspicious material was found in the oil strainer. If they have been neglected they can score and ruin the cam in extreme cases. Otherwise it is replacement of the offending rockers, or have them redone by a company like Megacycle.
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/megacycle.htm

Belts are easy to do, every two years. If you are a DIY guy at all, the desmoquattros are not bad to work on and not that expensive to own. Flaking rockers are probably the worst thing.

Insist he not start the bike and you can see it cold. If it smokes on startup, this would also indicate valve seals. Don't worry if the clutch is noisy and a bit grabby. Ducati's dry clutch normally acts that way.

If you are familiar with inline fours (especially literbikes), do not expect the 748 to be fast. It isn't. The engine will feel lazy and slow-revving with a little vibration, increasing with revs. Even 600s from when the bike was new had more power.

One thing about Ducatis now versus owning one in the mid-90's is there is many more outlets for parts now. Ebay will reveal thousands of new, used, and upgraded parts for your bike. I am finding now with my new-to-me Aprilia Mille that parts are much less easily found for it than the Ducatis I have owned.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    All my riding experience is on a smaller Buell and a few different Harley's so I want to keep my first sport bike on the lower end of power. My plan is tonupgrade to a 996 (possibly a 999, but i dont care for their styling as much) or something later on. I don't want to get into something and be overwhelmed. I'd rather start slower and work up to something bigger. At $4.5k the 748 seems like a good place to start with Italian bikes.

Thank you, I will definitely check on the rocker arm issue. I believe the owner said they were replaced at the 12k service, but I will double check. Slower revving and accelerating is what I want right now. I'll be moving up in time, but smaller is the place to start for me.

Thank you again for the help.

Mark

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the 748 is a great bike for what you describe and a fantastic chassis. you will find it good and quick on any back road and you will not ever miss liter bike straight line power.

after many years of racing, i really don't find a great thrill in going fast on a motorcycle in on a straight flat road but i still enjoy dragging a knee and the 748 will give you all of that you need!!

take the lowers off and have a look to see if any damage lies beneith the bodywork....easy enough to tell.

as tundra says...parts availability is immense and prices are very fair!

have fun!!

pcb

Manda racing likes this.
  8. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Thank you, much appreciated.

Mark

9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Mark:

These are very neat bikes, if you understand exactly what you are getting. It is a no compromise sport bike. A very uncomfortable riding position, designed for someone who is riding hard, who moves around on the seat. Not the bike to carry your wife on, and not a bike to do any extensive travel upon, unless you really are limber, or like the discomfort.

The power delivery on these bikes is peaky. If you've experience on the Buell (who essentially designed his bikes to replicate the bevel drive Ducati he raced) and Harleys is the only history you've got with these bikes, I strongly recommend you attend one of the better schools before you venture into much riding. My old friend Keith Code runs a very good school, and I can't recommend him enough. Short of Keith's school, Freddy Spencer is back up and running, and he knows his stuff. Kevin Schwantz also has a decent school.

Just remember that 50% of the motorcycle accidents occur within the first 6 months of ownership.

if you've made up your mind, take the class and have some fun with your riding.

Art

10. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Thank you Art. One of my concerns with the Duc is riding position/comfort (I am pretty limber and not a very large person though). I am going to test ride the bike before I commit to anything. There is no intent on putting anyone on the back or taking it on long trips so I am not as concerned with that.

I looked up the three instructors you mentioned; I do not think I am intending on tracking the bike at this point in time so those three schools seem a bit above what I'm intending on doing. Not that I won't want to take that step in the future, though. I did take a riding class when I first got my license in 2005 (I think), so I do have some formal training...not that I'm opposed to more.

Mark

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    As Art has mentioned, this will not be a touring bike. Great for short blasts, tougher for long lazy rides.

If you are riding on the street, remember to ride as though everyone is trying to kill you. They just don't know that they are trying......

If you plan on riding on the track you will have a blast. Either way get some proper riding gear and WEAR it. Helmet laws vary from State to State. Our state recently got rid of the helmet law but I still would not ride without one.

12. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I owned a 99 748 for about 7 years. I put about 10k miles on it, almost all aggressive miles. A couple track days and back road bombing. IMHO there is no better bike for those purposes. For commuting and touring, there is no bike worse.

I used to tell people the riding position was like being whipped by a 6' blonde. It hurts but you really don't mind. I did 500 & 600 mile days and I always needed a day to recover.

The maintenance wasn't too bad. I did the 6k myself (not hard) all valves were in spec,but I had a dealer with reputable tech with racing experience do the 12k early because the 12k service covers every inch of the bike.

I miss that bike everyday when I walk into the garage. Decide what you are using it for then buy it.

PS. The Keith Code school is worth every penny and more. They teach it on a track but it will save your behind on the street.

13. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    That's for sure. Keith rode for Yosh when we raced in the 70s. What you can learn there will save you on the street.

Art

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  15. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #15 joker57676, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    I was lookingy at that earlier today. Definitely something on the list to do. Depending on whether I get this bike or not, they have an "experienced" class starting on May 12th that I'll more likely than not, sign up for.

Mark

16. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get the "Twist of the Wrist" books that Keith wrote too. It will give you a new perspective on how you "think" about your riding. Any track school will help you learn the limits of your bike and more importantly your tires. You will be stunned how far over you can lean the bike and the tires will stick. Even in the rain. It rained during my first track school and it was the best thing that could have happened. I learned I need to be smooth and fluid with my movements.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

mark, you have been licensed since 2005...i think you should do a track school as opposed to the 'experienced" program at RA's parking lot.

you will love the 748. get a full set of leathers, good glove, boots and an arai...got to the track and drag a knee and your view of life will change forever!

have fun.

pcb

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #18 GuyIncognito, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    I agree (although an MSF refresher might not be a bad idea)....I think he should look into a track day. I just found it odd that RA didn't have one but did have an MSF school.

maybe Blackhawk Farms?

19. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Tundraphile covered most of the 996/916/748 concerns above. I'll just add a couple of extras I committed to memory. It's been 8 years since I sold my 916, so apologies in advance if I missed a few details.

1) Plastic coolant overflow reservoir can crack with age.
    2) Nearly all dry clutch Ducs with the factory clutch slave cylinder have a very heavy clutch pull. Plus the slave starts to leak as it ages. Replace with an Evoluzione or Yoyodyne slave asap if you value the dexterity of your left hand.
    3) Beware of bikes with open clutch covers that have had water on the pressure plate cover repeatedly (due to washing, leaving the bike in the rain, etc.) The allen head fasteners that hold the pressure plate may have frozen up and will be difficult to unscrew when it's time to replace clutch plates. The heads round out easily (ask me how I know.) However, looking at the pictures of this particular 748, it wears its original closed clutch cover. Probably no issues here to be concerned about.
    4) Rubber coolant hoses and brake hoses will crack with age (this holds true for all bikes, but Italian hoses seem more susceptible.) Replace with silicon coolant hoses and braided stainless brake hoses.
    5) Make the seller a fair offer on the Marvic magnesium wheels he has for sale. The bike will turn in much faster with those wheels mounted up, and you will not loose a cent reselling them later when you are done with the bike.

Motowheels.com will be your friend when it comes to parts & accessories. A Sargent seat and Helibars will miraculously improve the bike's sport touring abilities.

Most of all, have fun!

20. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    At 1st glance that looks to be a nice bike at a fair price. The rockers are a big deal... if not dealt with the cams get taken out as well. 1 owner with history is a huge plus.

Bear in mind it is the base model 748 'E" model. Non adjustable steering head and a few other deletions from previous years. No dzus fasteners on the fairings doh! In the pictures the bike has the mag wheels installed. The stockers are the 3-spoke jobs that are either classic or fugly depending on your pov.

As suggested above, I would work the best deal I could including the Marvics and the Pitbull stands the bike is resting on. The handling is so much better with light wheels.

21. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Regarding the track schools. I have done the Yamaha Champions school several times now. Each time there were several people in attendance who had never been on a track, nor did they intend to do trackdays. They all came away raving about their newfound riding abilities. I would highly recommend a good quality track school as a skills builder. The knowledge gained is invaluable no matter what time of riding you do.

22. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Update. I took the bike out of a test ride and bought it on site. The bike felt awesome, I was in love after only a short ride down the road and back. The bike looked brand new, it was spotless. The seating position is not bad at all for me. The owner had everything adjusted for his figment, which was damn near ideal for me too. After buying it, I rode about two hours taking the bike down from Green Bay to Milwaukee with one stop to hit the bathroom. No issues with soreness or anything. I loved every second of it...I guess I'm a masochist as someone mentioned above.

Owner had all maintenance records, rockers and valves were done during the 12k service. He also told me where his certified tech is working now since the shop where he had all the work done is now closed.

He did take off the after market rims, but I don't mind the old school rims. I probably will look for a set of 748s rims because I like them better, but for now, I'm happy.

Thank you everyone for the assistance and advice.

Mark

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats! ride safe, have fun :)

I might be at Road America sometime this summer, we'll have to get together :)

24. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Definitely let me know of you make it up here, I'm at Road America several times a year for various events. The first round of brats and beer are on me.

Mark

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    multiple rounds of beer, sure....but multiple brats? :eek: