Math boffins, pit time question: | FerrariChat

Math boffins, pit time question:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Apr 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Something has been bothered me for a while now. What if car A has a pitstop at 3.0 seconds. Car B, fighting closely with car A, makes his stop in 3.5.

Some say, car B lost .5 of a second to car A. I say, car B lost a full second to car A, because in the time he was waiting for .5 of a second, car A was .5 of a second under way already.

2. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    It is the same .5 of a second. Imagine if they both stopped at exactly the same time, then the fast one would leave and the second one would leave .5 seconds behind, and, had they been pitted side by side, the first car would be .5 seconds ahead.

3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    two cars, each going flat-out full speed, equally, over the exact same distance. Each car stops, immediately, at the exact same time (and same point in space).

car A stops for 3.0 sec and immediately resumes full speed.

car B stops for 3.5 sec and immediately resumes full speed.

How much time elapses between the cars arrival at the finish line?

4. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    You just blew my mind!

Here are the pit times from yesterday http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/04/22/2012-bahrain-grand-prix-tyre-strategies-pit-stops/

It's got to be .5 advantage, not 1.0.

For example: Car #1 = 21.00 second total stop including 3.0 seconds while the car is in the air.

The time on the pit lane limiter was 18.00 seconds - assuming no driver error, each car spends 18.00 seconds on the limiter from pit-in to pit-out. If Car #2 spends 3.5 seconds in the air it still only takes 18:00 seconds to enter & exit the pits. Thus the difference remains .5 sec.

Maybe...:)

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The laws of math are not suspended in F1. If a car takes and extra .5 of a second in the pits, that's all that happened - an extra .5. Whether the first car was moving or not at the time of the extra .5 makes no difference. The only addiotinal time taken is .5 of a second

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    As long as the rate of accelleration from 0 to the mandated pit lane speed limit is equal, the .5 sec remains .5 sec. If the rate of acceleration is different, you would see it in the time on limiter value. In terms of distance on the race track, .5 at the Start finish is much greater than .5 at the slowest hairpin, but it is all still .5 sec. In laps and especially out laps are where time is often gained or lost.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, but in the time the one driver is standing still for an extra .5 of a second, doesn't the gap grow bigger compared to the other driver since he is on his way already?

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Makes sense...:)

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    An interesting conundrum indeed..... As with all things in F1, it isn't as simple as it first appears and is the reason some of 'em (all?) now have dedicated mathematicians / statisticians in the garage.

My 02c; an additional 0.5 second in the air is indeed just a half second lost. However, Bas' point I think is that if I exit the pit lane that much ahead and get back to speed the gap is "stretched" in that period - It may still be half a second timewise, but I've gained "hundreds" of yards over you.

I think..... ;)

Anyway, I found an interesting article on the topic by Dennis Simanaitis of R&T back in 2003 - Back then, stops were refueling time limited of course so he factors in the dis/advantage of more/less weight in addition to tire degradation and/or the advantage of being on fresh tires. There's some basic algebra involved, so if thats not your thing "beware".....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-news/tech/modeling-formula-1-pitstop-strategy

The intro has a link to another interesting DS story on "The gaming of F1". Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Ian

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Gee zuss.
    On a Monday.
    Gimmee a break my head still hurts.
    :)

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

I did warn you! :p ;)

He also postulates that fuzzy logic could be a field for further "improvement" - Now there's a headache inducing area of study......

Cheers,
    Ian

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    All logic is fuzzy on Mondays.
    Most everything else is as well.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    think of this :

Two cars on the "starting line". All accelerations, and top speeds, are equal. One car starts 0.5 seconds after the other.

What's the time difference at the "finish line"?

EVERYTHING the first car does, the second will also do ... including crossing the finish line ... just 0.5 seconds later.

14. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    That's the point. You have to remember that you're talking about a distance in time, while you visually process a spatial distance. The latter may vary tremendously while the former stays constant.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That's what I was trying to say! :) Thanks Florian ;)

16. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    An interesting talking point - in reality, fuzzy logic is dead. The only ones who still apply it are those who learned it during the fuzzy hype in the early 90s.
    That hype only came up because the thought behind fuzzy logic - to create mathematical methods which 'translate' fuzzy terms that humans can understand (like 'big' or 'small') into numbers - was pitched with the slogans that computers could now 'think like humans'.
    This was picked up by the mass media, and 'think like humans' (in a sense of 'process human terms') became 'computers are now conscious". And there was the hype.

Compared to the expectations, fuzzy logic has found very few actual applications.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I never said his postulation was correct though..... :) [This is from 2003 btw - Maybe there was still "hope", even then.....]

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I of course never wanted to imply that you're a fuzzy fanboy! :D

And while I'm ranting...

... game theory is another solution looking for a problem. At least in the technical area, I have yet to see an actual application that is not part of some purely academic construct.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Damn, I'm beginning to regret digging it up! :D

;)

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I hoped you'd come up with chaos theory now that I'm already in a rage! :( :D

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    As has been pointed out by others you are confusing linear distance (the gap between the cars) with linear time. Half a second in the overall sequence of events is half a second, no more, no less.
    You are talking about the first car moving away while the second car is stationary. What you forget is that for a period of time the first car was stationary while the second car was still moving toward the pit stop (effectively narrowing the gap), so whatever additional time the first car gained when it moved away, was initially lost when it came in for its stop. The net effect is that the first car gained only .5 of a second after both cars had come into the pits, stopped and then moved again.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Much like two cars following one another around a circuit. As they brake and accelerate into and out of corners the gap in distance stretches while the gap in average speed remains constant.

23. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If there is a gap in average speed, neither the distance in space nor the distance in time remain constant!

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Over the course of a lap there are increasing and decreasing gaps.
    The cars are hitting different (faster and slower) parts of the track at any given point in time but over a lap may equal one another in average pace ie; lap time.

25. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Wow, you would be an interesting student in math class. Average is quite a simple definition. If both cars averaged the same speed over a lap, time and again, their average speed, and therefore the gap between them, would be constant

The gist of it all is that if two cars in a race were lapping at the identical average speed per lap and the time gap between them at a particular point of the track, say the start/finish line, was 5 seconds, and then they both took a pit stop, where one took 3 seconds and the other took 3.5 seconds, then they resumed racing at the identical average lap speed, the gap between them, when they next crossed the start finish line, (after they both completed their pit stops), would be 5.5 seconds.
    It's really that simple.