2013 GT500 Certified @ 662 HP and 631 TQ | FerrariChat

2013 GT500 Certified @ 662 HP and 631 TQ

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by PaulVincent, Apr 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/26/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-certified-at-662-hp-and-630-pound-feet/

When Ford announced that the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be punishing the pavement with 650 horses, the world stood up and took notice. Remember, though, these were just estimated figures, as the car had not yet been SAE certified. If reports from the Team Shelby message board prove accurate, the 2013 GT500 has finally gotten its official figures.

How's about 662 horsepower and 630 631 pound-feet of torque?

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. Kinda like the 60's when they underrated the engines. Almost wish I was still at the dealer so I could drive one:D
    Will be cool to see if they got the handling even better.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I called three dealers and they are getting very few of these cars. only 1-3 at the most.

I have trouble omagining how the mustang chasis can handle that much HP. My 2012 Cobra Mustang at 550 hp will get sideways very easy, too much power for the tire rubber I quess.

The Z06, 505 HP vette while exciting is very hard to drive in anger. The ZR1 with 638 hp and 602 ft-lbs of torque handles it well because of the stability mode.

I will go look at one and maybe drive it when they begin to arrive. They may have done something to the chasis so the car can handle that much HP.

Exciting to read about at the very least.

Lee

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I'm anticipating to test it soon.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Let me know, I'm thinking of ordering one in red /blk.

I need full details when your done.

Thanks.

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I'll call you when I get it. We'll take it for a spin.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I hope they did some work on the suspension and the rear end so you can actually use that power to do something besides go sideways and eat up tires. Power is not had to make, putting that power to the ground is another story.

8. xringdriven

xringdriven Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Kansas City, Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Monte J. Brent
    Hey guys, as of this morning we still had one allocation left that is schedule for production in June.

Here is an excerpt from an industry rag:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1111_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_and_2013_mustang_lineup/viewall.html

Anyone will tell you that the problem with the previous Shelby GT500 wasn't a lack of power -- it was actually putting that power down to the ground. The previous GT500's performance numbers were often traction-limited, resulting in a 0-60 time not much better than the Mustang GT. To deal with this problem, SVT engineers revised the six-speed manual transmission's gearing in an effort to make the GT500's power more usable. SVT ditched the 3.55 final drive ratio for a 3.31 final drive, and then optimized every gear (except fourth) to better use the newfound torque. SVT further beefed up the drivetrain with a dual-disc clutch and carbon-fiber drive shaft.

Click to view GalleryFord rounds out the GT500s performance specs with an SVT-designed launch control system, and new Brembo brakes. The Shelby's new brakes are six-piston in front, and have larger rotors both front and rear to aid in the fight against brake fade.

For those interested in even more performance, Ford will also be offering two performance packages for the Shelby GT500. The Performance Package will include a Torsen limited-slip differential, and an SVT-designed Bilstein suspension system. The Bilstein suspension includes electronically adjustable dampers with two driver-selectable modes: Normal and Sport. Ford says Normal will allow for a more comfortable ride in shoddy road conditions, while Sport will tighten the suspension up, further minimizing body roll and pitch at the track.

Also available when you tick the Performance Package option is the Track Package, which builds on the Performance Package by adding an external engine cooler, rear differential cooler, and a transmission cooler to fight heat soak in high speed and track conditions. The 3850-pound GT500 rides on second-generation Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar tires mounted on 19-inch front and 20-inch rear forged aluminum wheels.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1111_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_and_2013_mustang_lineup/viewall.html#ixzz1vohmi8bJ

Vast improvement with use of mechanical and electronic enhancement!