car design thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #26 jm2, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    i believe the answer to that is in the next part of the interview
    i specifically asked him why he left,and he did leave of his own choosing
    there was,as you can probably imagine tremendous pressure for a 20 something to produce
    but IIRC,he did answer my specific question as to why he left after such a brief tenure
    you can just imagine all those whose photos are posted with the interview,Mitchell,Jordan,Rybicki,Holls,Haga,Shinoda,etc.....just how tension filled that whole experience must have been.....not an atmosphere for shrinking violets,or shy types

shahidul likes this.
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Back as we were even still in school if one scratched the surface enough there were stories of, especially with GM, "burn and churn" the talent. Some from GM that got churned would end up at Ford and Chrysler since, at the time, the truly gifted were a lot more likely to go to GM. Some just wanted out of the Detroit winters bad enough to leave automotive.

Jeff

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes,my brief foray at Ford saw many ex GM guys that didn't want the pressure or the BS
    either you thrived/survived in that atmosphere,or you left....not too many other options
    the interesting thing was that it was a one way street.....once you worked at Ford or Chrysler,no chance of moving to GM,with very few exceptions :D
    Mitchell had a very hard line about that

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    It was interesting back then. Made jokes about the reflecting pool at the Tech Center was so that GM could determine if candidates could walk on water.

Remember at the time that GM had a very different attitude about their student hiring. They were viewed to be much more selective for talent - ability to design versus being able to render underlying crap. GM had one salary offer whereas Ford and Chrysler would negotiate and make promises. GM's ultimate take was that if a person was willing to be at the best and do well then they were going to be well rewarded. If initial money was what was important then that person just wasn't going to be right for GM anyway.

Yes it was an arrogant approach but when they were clearly the best they could be.

Jeff

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    that made me laugh
    first interview I had there the recruiter asked me to stand up and look out on the lake......so naturally I did :)

he then said..."unless you can walk on that lake,you won't be getting a job here!!!"....."now let's look at your portfolio!"
    :D

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ever hear the story on what Mott and Cumberford did with the Ford logo? Heard that at least one of them was really concerned for his safety afterwards. Mentioned it to chuck at what had to have been more than 10 years after it had occurred (me thinking that it was a great prank) and he still was taking the incident poorly.

Jeff

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    it was my understanding that a group of Summer interns had submerged the Ford logo in the lake
    never heard it was Cumberford/Mott

8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #33 JeremyJon, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    talk about crowded
    how did they ever get back far enough to evaluate anything?
    but i guess the results speak for themselves! :)

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #35 jm2, Nov 3, 2012
    this is how it's done today......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    A lot of long shadows in that room. Isn't it better to have full control of the lighting, something I would think necessitates keeping windows either at a minimum or covered?

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #37 jm2, Nov 3, 2012
    yes I wouls agree
    that is a Renault studio,and I definitely would have expected more overhead lighting,more like the Lincoln Studio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #38 JeremyJon, Nov 4, 2012
  14. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I'll bet the lighting in that space is why the Juke looks the way it does . . . anyone know what time of year that thing was signed off?

LoL!

(If anyone here has Renault-Nissan connections, please do what you can to get the Meganne 265 Cup to the States. It's an outrage that we don't have that car.)

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    one of the student Lincolns from last year
    he just got a job at GM Design :)

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    i figured the Juke came from Nissan Design in Japan,but I'm not positive

crimes against the automobile,IMHO

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    here is part 2 of the GM Design/Corvette interview with RoyLonberger:
    http://deansgarage.com/2012/an-interview-with-roy-lonberger-part-2/
    some really great photos of Roy's work with some fantastic sketches/renderings

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Perhaps most impressive is the amount of detailed information that Roy Lonberger can recall and shared in that great interview! Needless to say the images included are the 'icing on the cake' from his GM design experiences.

One name that I found interesting was Mauri Rose who drove the Monza GT car at Elkhart Lakes in 1962. Five years later he would drive the new 1967 Camaro Pace Car at the Indianapolis 500. The Camaro Pace Car was white with a blue interior and Chevrolet gave Mauri Rose a special 1967 Corvette. They reversed the Camaro colors by painting the Corvette Marina Blue with white for the interior color. Even the 435HP motor had 'engine conditioning' when it was built and the car was loaded with options like aluminum 'bolt-on' wheels and side mount exhaust. After a couple of decades he had driven the 1967 Corvette less than 5,000 miles.
    Some consider 1967 the ultimate Corvette model year. It seems we have James M Roche to thank for effectively extending the mid-year Corvette design into 1967 when he rejected the Mako Shark design that Bill Mitchell presented for the 1967 Corvette model year introduction.
    CH

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Some great info in that piece.
    I'm just so glad he saved all that cool artwork!
    So much was thrown out over the years.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  21. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #46 JeremyJon, Nov 6, 2012
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the good thing about that car is it has character & presence.I like the new Mazda design language better than some of their more recent stuff.
    the digital presentations get better & better each time

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #48 jm2, Nov 8, 2012
  24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Where are all the coffee cups and other caffine vessels? Look too neat and orderly.

Top photo center left clay and display area - he appears to be the organized one. Much, much further along on his clay than the others and his display area appears to already be together.

So what is the project brief and who is the sponsor?

Jeff

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Autoweek did an article on the recent Concours where Bob Lutz was honorary judge and the Cadillac 16 was featured.

John, was that created in your studio? The article makes it sound like Lutz really wanted to see it go to production. Was it designed for production or strickly as a show vehicle? What is the rest of the story?

Jeff