The Mosport Park and to a lesser extent Fort Erie track thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Mosport Park and to a lesser extent Fort Erie track thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by starboy444, Nov 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    #26 ClassicFerrari, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Ooooooo

3. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    That will be fun in the wet as you move across the different surfaces :)

Some people seem to be more interested in nice buildings or washrooms. Personally I think the track itself is much more important. If you are actually driving on the track (instead of puncturing oil pans on the roads surrounding the track) then nothing else really matters. It is a lot more fun to almost p..s yourself in Turn 2 than in the washroom.

It is a driver's track, maybe the new buildings and washrooms will make it a spectators track as well. And then maybe Starboy444 will be happy :)

I am not a racing driver but I do know that my skills improved considerably after experiencing Turn 2 and 5a/b. Never at the cars limit though :)

Gerrit

4. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Vasco, when were those pictures taken?

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    #30 Fave, Nov 7, 2012
  6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Those photos were taken in the last 2 days

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Wait when the hotels show up at mosport, with the new home development in the surrounding area.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    #33 Jay GT4, Nov 7, 2012
    +1

I love driving Mosport and I have a healthy respect for turn 2, but 10 is probably my favorite.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    There is clearly money being invested in Mosport for the first time in a long time. I also like it because it is a fast track. Unlike Shannonville.

10. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    For sure, and for a big company like that to invest and promote their name is a win win. I wish them the best return....They are saving an important piece of Canadian history!

11. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Like Rick said, just recently.

I snagged these off their Facebook page.

12. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Vasco, I totally agree that Mosport IS a Canadian icon, its hosted many F1 races, and has a challenging and fast layout which is very popular with drivers.

But its been neglected for 40 years, and has been a sad excuse for a "venue" until the new ownership group has recently taken over. Mosport has been lacking safety barriers, there have been many fatalities over the last few years, (cars and motorcycles) and is a big reason why major series are questioning its status. There needs to be a complete overhaul in order to bring it up to spec.

This is supposed to be Canada's "premier" race course... Basically, the worst track in Europe is as good as our best track in Canada....

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Lucas it is time to get your facts straight.

Mosport Park as it is originally known hosted its first race in 1961 changing hands a number of time until 1998. During that period it hosted lots of international events including the F1 races until 1977 (which it shared with St. Jovite). Until 1998 the track was being maintained as needed without any significant improvements to the layout.

In 1998 it was purchased by Don Panoz and the name changed to 'Mosport International Raceway' (a name change I opposed but that is another subject). Within the first few years of ownership the following took place:

- Entire track was re-paved top to bottom
    - Old pits were taken down and the pit lane was totally re-done
    - Starting flag station was refurbished
    - All new corner worker stations
    - All new communications systems
    - The hump on the back stretch was shaved down to keep high horsepower cars from flipping.
    - Got FIA international homologation for the track

Then up until 2011 the following was done:

- Gravel traps replaced with ashphalt runoff
    - Extended pit lane and changed the pit exit to feed between turns 1 & 2
    - The DDT circuit was built and later expanded upon
    - New kart track was built on the outside of turn 8
    - All new bathrooms and shower facilities around the track
    - Concessions were mildly upgraded
    - paddock inside of turn 1 and lower paddock was paved.

In 2011 Ron Fellows and an investor group bought the track and again changed the name to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (It will always be Mosport Park to me even if Ron corrects me every time I tell him). Since then they have done the following:

- Removed the 'tunnel' to get to the pits and replaced it with a tunnel that fits 2 tractor trailers side by side. It is an amazing improvement
    - Totally re-modelled the road system and lower paddock areas with additional paved parking
    - Re-graded the land in the infield to make spectator access better
    - Re-paved sections of the track
    - Totally changed the pit entries
    - Torn down the original control tower (we'll see what comes next there)
    - Started construction of a new convention/meeting facility accross the main straight
    - Added pedestrian bridges accross the top of turn 2 and before turn 8.

These are just the items I remember off the top of my head as I am sure there are more. This is hardly a facility in disrepair.

Regarding track safety, the fatalities that have taken place over the past 10 years have had nothing to do with the circuit itself. Mosports fast layout lends itself to bigger accidents and I for one am not interested in running at tracks with 2 miles of runoff at each corner as it emasculates the purpose of pushing the boundries of tire adhesion in the first place. Namely that there should be consequences for error as it gives the activity intrinsic value.

As for the worst track in Europe being better than the best track in Canada it is time to get on a plane and see the European facilities for yourself. Check my previous post, I've been around lately and can say with first hand experience that many of the European venues do not hold a candle to Mosport. Time to take off the 'everything in Europe is better' rose colored glasses off.

14. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Then Watkins Glen and Silverstone are in the same list as are a lot of other tracks. Eg Silverstone and Zandvoort have a much longer list of fatalities. If you actually take the time to read about each of the accidents then you will see that e.g a car spinning and being hit broadside at 125mph is not the fault of track design.
    http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/query.php?db=ct&q=circuit_c&n=306

Gerrit

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Lucas, you have no basis for this nonsense. You've repeatedly avoided responding to my questions about your first hand knowledge about any racing facilities, which serves to imply your statements are entirely unfounded and without merit.

In addition, I think it's time for you to retract this statement. A public apology should accompany that retraction.

16. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    I used to read those books for hours as a kid....

17. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    They had books when you were a kid? I thought you grew up reading cave markings and hieroglyphics! :D

18. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Pity there is no Block feature, it would be great to ignore the ramblings on the persistently uninformed

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    There is an ignore feature.... I think I'm on a few people's lists :D

20. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Reminds me of the Espada for some reason... The picture that is.

21. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Thanks Adi. Since you know me I know you're joking but at first I thought this person is way out to lunch then I realized you changed your nickname lately!!

22. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
  23. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Does that mean Gary is a fox at the wheel??

; p

Chris

24. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I actually bought on eBay a kids book that features an Espada . Now I have to go dig it up....

Gary
    Espada

25. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Who is this "Adi" you speak of?