Rumormill: Honda building an F1 engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rumormill: Honda building an F1 engine

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Feb 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Given Sutil, MB apprived, has been chosen for FI's seat with a 5 million sponsorship, that could hint at the team keeping their MB engines rather than switching to Ferrari as was rumored. Did MB finance the operation because they know they'll lose an illustrious customer next year?
    And Ferrari in search of a third team to supply looks a bit in trouble. Will they end up talking to Marussia?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105738

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Oft the fool does the king's bidding.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hahaha you cannot go far wrong blaming that cretin.

He nearly brought F1 to it's knees, the threat of a breakaway series made Bernie sit up and listen in the end, ok knuckle head times up get stuffed and good riddance.

4. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'am not denying that, but I could not believe he could defend his actions in that Chelsea flat.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm fairly certain that Bernie had no prior knowledge of that.
    ;)

Max was/is a feckless SOB, but was of use. For a while.

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well IIRC even the cretin himself was warned he was being followed, but as usual the pig headed nature of him thought he was untouchable.

Handing out 100 mil fines isn't the best way to make friends..;)

Back on topic, I hope Honda go for it, I rate their engines.

7. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    IIRC, Honda had one of the most powerful motors back in the V10 days. The rest of the car is what sucked.

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    The chasis must have really sucked to land those performances with a good engine under the hood... :)

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Honda's turbo V6 got waxed by the Chevy in Indycar last year.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :) Maybe Chevy will join the party!....... ;)

12. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I could see Marussia Chevy F1 next year... :) Good russian - american partnership.

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That would be epic! lol

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    With only 3 confirmed engine manufacturers next year, and Renault's intention to have less teams, there could be a shortage of engines in 2014.
    Marussia is already indicating the team is looking for a new supplier, speculating that Cosworth isn't going to bother designing a new engine just for one client. There could be more teams in that situation.

In the past, developing a 1500cc turbo for F1 wasn't so complicated, and many went the 4 cylinder route, just using production-based engine to power F1; BMW, Hart, Zakspeed went that way.

But since the FIA has imposed a V6 configuration, it's almost impossible for a "back-street" motorist to create a F1 engine from scratch.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm pretty sure it's worse than that; Cosworth are almost definitely out - As you say, why do an engine for just a solitary backmarker team?

Not surprisingly Pollocks PURE nonsense never got off the drawing board. [Many here know my feelings towards him ;)]

So, unless Honda (or chevy! ;)) do jump in there could indeed be an "issue"....... However, I'm nearly 100% certain this is where Bernie will work his magic and they'll have motors come the start of the season.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, they're dropping out of WTCC after taking the championship last year...

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    What happened to all these grand new regulations enticing so many new manufacturers to enter the sport and make engines? Now we're talking about a shortage. LOL.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't see how a credible effort can be launched at this late date. I also wonder how feasible it is for existing manufacturers to ramp up production (and maybe more importantly support) for additional teams.
    Any team without an engine to design around at this point is on the back foot.

This may be a problem unresponsive to Bernie bucks.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    "Where there's a will, there's a way."......

I've kinda disagreed with this thinking since day one!.... The mounting points, CofG and so on are already public knowledge; Design your car and simply hang the motor on the back when you get it. I really don't think this whole "integrated design" thing is significant. You may have a little struggle with your 'box, but in that case buy one from someone else who's using the same motor.

Don't think it's Bernie money, but rather his ability to get 'em to do what he wants. I don't recall there's ever been anyone who's failed to make it due to not having a powerplant (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    See above

21. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Back to the issue of mounting a last minute effort to have another manufacturer
    for 2014, what if Honda is really working on this? If so, since when would they be
    working on? The last news when Pure went south was in July 2012. I don't remember
    reading what happened to their assets, but there is an interesting gap from there
    to the speculative news that Gilles Simon is now working in another effort. That's
    almost 8 months.

It would great if Honda were to reenter F1. Marussia is already looking since they
    don't have anything for next year, but McLaren will certainly also be interested.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What the sport needs is for McLaren to make its own motors. Until then they will be an incomplete team never of the same echelon as Ferrari.

23. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would imagine the high costs involved have put the idea on hold.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hah!
    Macca poor mouthing it?

They'll always be second string bush league until they prove that they can build their own lump.

Harrrummmph!

;)

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Absolutely.