991 GT3 revealed: PDK only, 9000 rpm/485 hp etc. | FerrariChat

991 GT3 revealed: PDK only, 9000 rpm/485 hp etc.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DriveAfterDark, Mar 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
  2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I love everything about it except for PDK only... but watching this gets me excited about even that:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls]Porsche 991 GT3 inside look - interview with Andreas Preuninger - YouTube[/ame]

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I was in Johannesburg this weekend and finally saw a few 991s. Couldn't believe how much I liked it (normally not the biggest 911 fan about, with the exception of 997s and 993s!). Sounded fantastic.

I started dreaming how a GT3 would be and what it would look like.

Looks fantastic, but thoroughly disappointed in PDK only. Perhaps they'll make the RS with an option for either gearbox but I'm having my doubts :(.

Surely it's doable to just dump a 7 speed manual in there...?

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Egad. That center console in this vid above leading up to the waterfall like section with nav screen adorning the dash... Is that what new GT3 buyers want?

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #5 Kevin Rev'n, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    No sure this is the car that will make all the purists let go of their low-miles 2011's for me to consider as a purchase, at least not immediately. More systems, More complex, heavier, larger. I wonder where in the design process they decided that rear wheel steering was required to get the performance they were shooting for? I can't imagine that it was a key design characteristic of the planned platform. Of course, I am just a lay guy arm-chairing this and I am sure its an awesome car, I just wonder what was the real story is.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the big loss to me is no more metzger engine :(

PDK is great guys...learn to love it :) although I am surprised the 7 speed manual isn't an option.

electric power steering isn't a big deal, feels very similar to the 996/997 steering.

7. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree 110 percent !

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Has rear wheel steering also... rear wheels can either turn parallel to the front wheels (higher speed), or in the opposite direction (manuverability), depending on speed and turn angle...

Honda had that in the Prelude in the late 80's... Some GM pickups had it as an option for awhile

That's a huge change.

Supposedly is about 10 seconds faster around the 'ring...

Porsche 911 GT3 hauls 469 hp behind the steerable rear wheels | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like it.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No manual?

Burn them! Burn them! Damn you to hell Porsche!! :)

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yup. Anyone who would dumb this car down with an old school manual clutch would probably do better to get something less extreme to start with.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Declutching by pulling both paddles is interesting. Not sure i have skill to use it but might be fun to be passenger with someone who does. Wonder if ferrari will add this

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought they already did?

haven't driven a DCT Ferrari but the F1's I've driven go into neutral when you pull both paddles at once.

14. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    It looks like a great car, the PDK-only doesn't bother me. 9k redline :)

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Is that what he means by 'declutching', I've honestly never heard that term before. Is that what Porsche is doing with the PDK on the GT3?

16. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Been counting the seconds for that one, Mr Mayor?

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think a DCT is perfect for this car, but I can see how the Porsche community may have just wet their collective pants with this announcement. Methinks the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 just shot up in value.

18. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    +1

Getting old.

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    It's a track day car so PDK makes sense for a good chunk of perspective buyers. But GT3s are also seen as hardcore street cars by many Porsche fans. For them, Porsche should've kept the manual option going while regulations still allow.

What I want to know is if that new, tight engine will fit in either a 987 of 981 Cayman and mate up to the 6 manual. If so, there's potential for one hell of a "Porsche" in a few years. (I remember reading that this block is just a hardened version of the 9A1 (hardened with more heat treatment.))

. . . while the RGT market may have just grown a bit.

20. Erik Johnson

Erik Johnson Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Erik Johnson
    I am happy to see Porsche go this direction. We have been doing some work on the PDK for a couple of race teams and the gearbox is simply awesome.

It is blisteringly fast and offers the driver so much more in the way of performance that I can not find a single reason why anyone would not want to go this direction especially if they want to be competitive.

Erik

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wow. This car sounds amazingly fast around a track. Torque-vectoring, rear-steer, PDK, 470HP, 3200 lbs (is that up from 997 GT3?). 9000 RPM! Love it!

This car will get serious attention from me for the role that CS and Scud fill of "back road fun drive and occasional track day car".

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Too bad, yes it will be fatser round a track, but less fun and engaging to drive. Basicaly a porche GTR. Methinks they have lost the plot. there were always other cars thatw ere objectively faster than a GT3 and yet the GT3 was sold out, that should have told porche that these cars were valued for subjective performance as well as objective numbers.

They are denuding the GT3 franchise just as BMNW did to the M franchise, seriously today who needs a M5. Between its numb electric steering, laggy turbo motor, and auot box what seperates a M% from a AMG merc or the new Audi Rs7 both of which are aguably as good or better.

What now seperates a GT3 from a GTR.

We want sportscars, not just performance cars.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

More like Bean counting.

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the "we" is now a distinct minority. Kind of like the "we want carbs" crowd.

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I understand where you are coming from with this but there is a lot of difference between a GTR and a GT3 that keep the GT3 as far more of a drivers car:

- Normally aspirated vs. turbo
    - 9000rpm!
    - A torque peak on the GT3 that is higher than the redline on the GTR (kidding, but close!)
    - Rear wheel drive only
    - About 600+ lbs!

So, "no" I don't think this latest GT3 will drive similar to a GTR. That said, I do agree that the analog cars with high driver input and that mysterious thing called "feel" and "engagement" are going the way of the dodo bird. The 458, to use a Ferrari example, is not to my liking for the same reasons (as compared to a Scud or CS for example, which reminds me the Scud has an F1 transmission and an e-diff - two recent additions to the GT3 - and it screams of "feel" and "engagement" and "analog" despite the technology...). But, I still admire the 458 for what it is and what it is capable of. Same with the 991 GT3...