The FXX K Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The FXX K Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by MisterMaranello, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    We get to the bottom of this? Whats the deal on the back of the car to the lower right by the exhaust?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I reckon Ferrari are testing something there. No way that suspension "broke" and came back good again as it powered out of that corner.

Quite obvious to me that the wheel leans outwards like that under hard cornering loads, giving the ultimate level of grip before returning back to normal on the straight.

I could be wrong and if I am, I would love see see or hear Ferraris explanation of that rear wheel doing what it did.

3. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Im thinking the same. I think the thing sticking out the back has something to do with it as well. Something to give the active steering a bit more travel room until they can package it nicely.....

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    This is the first and only current XX prototype. The battery mules are still out and about.

5. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe

I have heard this to, but I heard it won't be the finished car, just a mockup of some sort...

6. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I would expect the other side tire to move aswell. With the trend coming soon I could imagine that ferrari could test out active steering. Question is, why hasnt it happened in the other corners? There are a few where the car got pushed harder towards the limit. If it was a malfunction then he was very brave to drive it that hard after lol.

7. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Perhaps just a controlled test at certain angles/speed?

8. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    That could explain why he drives as if nothing happened after

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No way a tyre leaning out like that would provide more grip than one with it's tread area on the track surface. You would have to fit the car with motorcycle tyres to use that tyre lean and as we all know motorcycles corner considerably slower than a car with downforce because of their incredibly small tyre contact patch with the road.

Something broke, or didn't work correctly, and returned to near correct position due to acceleration or the driver lifted off and putted back to the pits.
    Pete

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A big thank you to those rationalizing the "I meant to do that" effect of the rear suspension.

>8^)
    ER

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL. Active steering on only a single corner, a single time? Seriously?

Something obviously broke and caused the slide/loss of control. The drive brought it back in line and took it to the pits. The video even said that they didn't lap anymore after that.

The reason the driver didn't stop right then and there is probably because he isn't the one recording the video. He probably knows something went wrong, but not the extent of it. He couldn't see what the camera saw. Not all component failures result in catastrophic failure.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Looks to me the top wishbone (or part of it that connects) broke. When under load round that corner, the top of the wheel ''falls over'', right until the car gets straight again and the wishbone sort of falls into place.

If you watch closely you can definitely see the wheel not sitting as it should when it starts to enter curva grande. It sits lower with a tonne of camber and higher into the wheel housing.

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I support your opinion, imo definitely a broken suspension.

I ask myself; is Ferrari testing really a LaF-XX-version or do they analyze possible overheating problems? Is the additional unit at the rear a measuring instrument to control the heat generation under stress?

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The only thing you can say for sure is that they are now doing research and testing on rear suspensions. ;)

I think they are testing a lot of things. I'm sure there are plenty of small bugs, reliability, and driveability improvements to be made on the LF. They could be testing new active aero algorithms that will pushed out later and that can probably be used on future cars with active aero. They could be testing new brake pads. They could be measuring something with respect to the hybrid system to use in an FF eventually.

There will likely be an FXX program, they are likely testing stuff for it, and they are likely doing R&D for other stuff as well.

15. BlackRivazza

BlackRivazza Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2006
    Goettingen / Germany
    Full Name:
    Jens M.
    #40 BlackRivazza, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Peter, are you sure the Monza test was the first one? Here is a link with a rather blurry photo of what seems to be the XX-Prototype, also on"challenge" wheels and racing side windows standing in the pitlane in Vallelunga... Could be the same car as in the Monza test and thus they are probably testing it a little bit longer. -> http://www.supercarteam.com/laferrari-xx-foto-del-primo-esemplare/

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    lmao - brochure of a cc car...

17. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Testing is also a means of putting a maximum amount of stress on as many parts of the car as possible - even up until they break. This is the only manner in which a car can be developed so that when it is delivered to customers it is safe.

The suspension failed in some way. Simple.

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Peoples reactions to the rear wheel/suspension failure is hilarious. This is part of testing. Break it. Fix it. Break it again.

19. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    +1000

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Why hilarious? It was the most interesting sequence in this video. Apart from that I've only seen a LaFerrari with thin exhaust turning his round - not really spectacular, no new facts delivering… ;)

21. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    and try to fix it again!

By the way, any idea regarding the price of the package this time for an XX?

22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    ;)

23. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe