Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes this is definitely a thread to watch :)

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    This is going to be good! Best of luck with the restoration.
    Subscribed

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you for the kind words and Im sure ill need your support as I move along with the resto.

I don't know the orig color scheme for sure - the car has black interior door panels, orig to the car with the body number on the back. The carpet has been changed at some point but there are remnants of some wilton wool pieces with the car...and that seem to be tan in color. How would I get to the definitive answer for the color scheme?

Prior owner felt thru some sanding there was evidence of blue at one time, silver possibly on the base and the color now is black. The dash panel seems to be orig in some areas with black paint?

I spent the last 4 days unpacking the 5 crates of parts, bolts, clips wiring etc, cleaning off 40 yrs of dust....dirty job but I think I have cleaned off every part and will begin to make a list of what is missing or needed as far as replacement parts go.

Ill get the trans and rear pics today as well.

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Also - funny thing with the car that I discussed with the owner is that the seats are not the Ellena type seats with the broad backs to them. These look like 330GT seats and the bolts on the floors line up perfectly to the seat tracks etc...no extra holes etc.

Also - the driver seat has 2 loop like bolts for some type of seat belt attachment point - obviously one on the right and left side of the to the rear of the driver seat. Was that factory or done afterwards?

Appreciate the thoughts and advise!!

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, the door tops and the dash were body color, as you may know. Often the original paint survived on these panels. Maybe some careful sanding will reveal the original color. Just from my observation, black seems to have been a popular color with both Boano and Elena bodies.

john

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Body number on an Ellena? Or rather the chassis number? Could you please post a photo where we can see that number? Crayon type, in red? Thank you very much.

Marcel Massini

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Holy cavalino...

8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I guess I meant to say Chassis Number 855 on the door panels and rear interior panels - ill get pics

Also stamped on the outside lower side molding is the 855 as well as the trunk decorative trim where the lock goes - same stamp. 855 also on the rear inner fenders.
    855 on the shock arms as well.

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    John, looks like the doors have been stripped at some point so no evidence anywhere on the door....now the face of the dash where the gauges go looks to be black and that is one place where it is hard to change the color unless everything is taken out. That, ill get a pic of , but sure looks like black.

The car was media cleaned underneath, eng compartment and stripped on some of the body sections....so a real mishmash early process of cleaning.

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Bradley Balles now in Texas. I'll PM you with contact. He is an old Ferrarista, and still playing with cars. I'm sure he'll be tickled to hear from you.

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #36 enio45, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    some pics as discussed from yesterday with the details stamped in the various parts 0855 and written on the door panels etc.

John see the dash with the black - that looks to be original as the top of the dash was media cleaned many yrs ago

The stamp on the grill looks to be 621, obviously not for 855 (I believe) and today I placed it in the nose and it does not fit well at all - it looks like it was banged up a bit and repaired - as well the nose sheetmetal - so ill have to start with a mint grill and work the body to the grill for a nice fit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Make sure you gather ALL parts you can.

After having owned 0755, I have realized how truly rare and unique these cars are. Trim parts are impossible to find. Don't ever leave something you find for sale behind, you won't see it again.

I have been to Maranello/Modena twice searching for stuff, it isn't to be found - my main goal was seats, just to feel like I accomplished something and ha was an easy item. Ummmm, well, not so much. Plan to have them fabricated.

You can pretty much plan to have missing stuff fabricated. I think I bothered so many of the people you would normally go to about Ellena stuff, if it was out there, it would have surfaced.

I am especially amazed about the Ellena's made into repro's..... These have simply disappeared into parts of collections as displays and not for sale.

You will find number stampings all over the car, which is really surprising for the limited volume Ellena had. They are really cool cars. And for as much as people talk about them being heavy, they are, but they are unbelievably fun to drive.

Also, the Ellena world is VERY SMALL. I recommend to reach out to other owners. Most are working on cool stuff. It will be worth your while.

Other than seats, what else do you know you are missing?

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    not sure yet, need to compile an inventory of what I would like to acquire and go from there....there is a mystery on the seat that I have to research and the seat belt loops on the floor for the driver. I try to start with some of the know owners and go from there. I think I have a lot of the trim if not all of it. I am missing the granturissimo script off the back - that I know for sure. Ill get a list going and reach out to other owners to see who can help. Saving one of these cars is a real treat. Looking forward to the resto

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have an original and recreation made that is pretty remarkable. It was made as a spare during a separate Ellena resurrection.

15. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    nice - ill need one so if you have a spare let me know..........

16. fountain4ever

fountain4ever Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Tom Mischke
    Ed - It sounds like this could be one of the most challenging and rewarding cars you might ever get the chance to restore! I would savor this one and enjoy the ride..........

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, this may sound like a bit of work, but I would do it. If it were me, I would assemble (or mack up) the car until you have home for every part. Then find a complete car to use as reference and determining what is missing from your car. This way while the body is off to the panel shop you can chase the missing bits. Otherwise, time will pass and inventory of parts will diminish--or quadruple in price at the least.

john

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you Ed for the detail photos.
    Mike Curley in 1974 also had 0621 GT (which had been wrecked).
    That explains why you have 0621 GT parts on your 0855 GT.

Marcel Massini

19. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Marcel - you are welcome to the pics - and you are an unbelievable wealth of information!!!!!!!

Ill try to find curley as well to piece together the history.

John, you are correct ref the mock up of the car - it needs to be assembled (most of it) to see what fits where and what is missing. The brake system looks interesting -all the drums, cylinders, shoes, pins are there....how they go together ??

What would you recommend as the best manual, pic book to use for ref. I know on my 330 the parts and body manuals are a big help. Whats avail for the Ellena?

20. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Tom, (fountain man!) - thank you for the words of encouragement.

Im sure im going to need your help - so your part of it too!!

21. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Anyone know where Curley is today? Title had Irwin PA.

22. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #47 John Vardanian, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ed, the Merritt book has a section that covers the 508B platform really well, in the way of diagrams anyway. It's been helpful to me. The 508B was mostly the Boano, which is a close sister to your car. You should be able to get the reprints.

john

23. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    bought the book today!! great lead!

24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Im still working thru the inventory of parts, however one item for sure I need in very good condition to assist in the body work for the front nose area is a mint grill assembly.

Mine is from car 0621 and was wrecked , repaired and still pretty messy. A mint condition one (if available) would go a long way in assisting the body work/repair of the front nose area and final restoration of the purchased grill.

Are there any avail for sale and did they vary with the Boano and later Ellena's?

Pls send me a PM if you know of any sources?

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    They vary from car to car. Each car was handbuilt, no stock and standard stuff.
    A good coachbuilder, such as Steve Beckman Metalworks in SoCal (644 Terminal Way,Costa Mesa, CA), can do a good one, once the grille opening is done as well.

Marcel Massini