Carpet heel pads | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carpet heel pads

Discussion in '206/246' started by isuk, May 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bump, same as the originals, Thanks Rorky!

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I have a 308 and I'm looking for the correct style heel pads. I was wondering if the Dino and the 308s share the same size and style. Can someone verify that?

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I can verify they do not.....

5. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Ok. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't know my flavors of 308s but this one came up that you may want to look at for the heel pad alone at $62
    Ferrari 308GT4 L F RH Drive Dark Brown Mat 40182385 Algar Ferrari on Sale | eBay

Looks a lot like a Dino but you'd have to heat weld a different edge profile which is probably easier to say than do.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think it must be "by year" as the earliest 308GTB I had, the heel pad was a different pattern altogether..

More "raised ribs", for lack of a better term...not just the shape outline itself....

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #33 isuk, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!

You can see now, what I was trying to describe...

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    So, mrfiat has them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If you follow the link it says to allow three weeks for fabrication.

They obviously have the molds.
    Most likely, supplied to Ferrari in the day.....

These are the correct mats for the 308 (and others it seems)

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

can these be stitched to coco mats?

13. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #38 DinoLasse, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Based on the information in this thread, I ordered the driver's side heel pad for my (late) M series 246 GT from O'Rourke. It sounded like it should be the most correct version. The shop where my car is at the moment also had the Luppi version available. But comparing them side by side, we are not so sure anymore. I have three questions:

- Were the original heel pads vinyl or rubber? The O'Rourke version is obviously rubber, the Luppi version is vinyl. I can only remember seeing vinyl pads for this generation, but I am not 100% certain. (I am aware that the 206 and L series were ribbed rubber pads, stitched to the carpet with vinyl edging)

- Did the majority of the original pads have the corner cut-out with a larger than 90 degrees angle? The O'Rourke version looks like approx.105 degrees, the Luppi version a clean 90 degrees. (see photo below, O'Rourke's on the right). Which is closer to the majority of the original pads?

- The O'Rourke pad is 10 mm wider than Luppi's version. Which is closer to the original size?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Apparently nobody knows. Or perhaps nobody thinks it is relevant.

The reason for asking was this: This initiative by isuk is commendable and the people at O'Rourke are very helpful and good to deal with, so one really wishes that the product would be perfect. And they do look good, and the texture looks correct. But the installer called me and voiced the concern over the three areas I mentioned, and asked me what to do. I was simply forwarding those questions to hear if anyone could shed some light on it.

It is of course possible that we have yet another area where there are no absolute facts or truths available and it comes down to personal opinions or preferences. If so, fine.

But at least, anyone ordering these items should be aware of the different materials and slight differences in shapes and sizes. At the minimum, I think that the pads on the driver's and passenger's sides should be of the same material, so both items should be ordered from the same source.

In the case of my car, the passenger side already has a vinyl pad installed, so I will probably have the driver's heel pad ordered in vinyl, too.

15. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The O'Rourke heel pads are moulded from the original set on my car #04054 which are in remarkably good condition as it was only a two owner car and the second owner removed the original set of mats from the car and kept them in storage for the 17 years he owned the car. They are made from rubber as opposed to the original vinyl but once in the car it is very hard to distinguish this material difference. The corner cut out exactly follows that on my original as does the width.

Luppi's heel pads are made from vinyl but have an incorrect grain pattern. They are also narrower than two original heel pad carpets sets I have from two different Dinos. They may have either made up their version using an approximation of size, used an old set of heel pads that that had been stitched onto various carpets sets in their life thus corrupting the dimensions due to multiple stitchings, or possibly copied a set that were made by a different supplier during the Dino production run.

The ideal would be for either O'Rourke to make their set from vinyl - sadly too expensive for such a low volume item, or for Luppi to change the grain on their version - again likely too costly to have a new roll of correct vinyl produced. I know from looking into having correct vinyl reproduced for making tool and jack bags just how expensive such an undertaking is.

The end result is that it is down to the personal choice of an owner which way they want to go.

16. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    OK, I get it now. Very helpful. Thank you. / Lars

17. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Did all Dinos ship with these heel pads? Mine didn't have them when I bought the car. And now, I'm in need of a replacement driver side (LHD) carpet. Thinking of including the heel pad once I find a carpet replacement. Any leads much appreciated.

Manny