Countach 25th Anniversario | Page 114 | FerrariChat

Countach 25th Anniversario

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Jan 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Great pocture,and yes i would love to hear that chat,

2. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #2827 rmolke85, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    I dont think anyone buys a DD because they think they can outrun an FI, or vice versa. If you want to understand peoples fascination with the DD configuration I posed a possible motive, it being a uniquely designed carb'd engine for the street. It just happens to be in a Countach making it even better......

Or maybe it has to do with induction noises, or the throttle linkages clickety clacking about as you row through the gears. The mechanicalness of it all is pretty dramatic car stuff no exhaust can replicate or replace.

I did see that video the other day and thought exactly this, "what a great sounding and looking car!" It is what it is, but in the end yes they are both, "Countach!"

3. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    built in 2 weeks cycles in December 1985 when I visited - US FI cars for 2 weeks, then Carb cars for 2 weeks.
    Scary thing was it was young girls doing the electrical wiring, whilst the men did the heavyweight tasks.

At the time, I think carbs was seen as the way the car was designed, FI with cats was necessary to meet US regulations, and make more cars, keeping the factory in business

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

I can have my car dynoed - will set it up

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Hmm pictures posted clearly shows fi and dd in the same lane ,the same day,

6. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    It would be interesting to know what is up with the black fuel injected model they are standing next to.

Notice the strange air outlets and the intakes look longer than the normal cars.

Mike

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm guessing its a MY 1988.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    When I spoke to factory owner (1980-1987) Patrick Mimran recently, this is exactly what he confirmed.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Just looking at the image, I can think of some funny captions!

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2835 joe sackey, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The factory themselves were fascinated with the DD configuration.

There is a reason twice as many cars were built in the DD configuration, and there is a reason DD engines were not dropped when the factory FI configuration became available in 1986, nor was the DD engine dropped for the 25th Anniversario - in fact twice as many were made.

There is a reason the Super Countach used a DD and not a FI, when both were available.

There is a reason the FIA Homologation cars were DDs and not FIs, when both were available.

The DD was the factory's own preferred choice, that much is as indisputable as the fact that the DD is both more powerful and a better performer. This affirmed to me by the very people responsible for both variants.

If someone chooses not to believe the makers themselves, that's okay too, a Countach is a Countach - as everyone seems to be repeating!

Engineer Luigi Marmiroli has given me some material which I will publish in the proper venue (upcoming issue of Octane magazine) putting to rest once-and-for-all that the power and performance superiority of the DD is not a myth.

I think the thing to remember is that, just because people are enthusiastic about the DD does not mean they are disrespecting the FI! Personally, I am a huge fan of the FI engine, and I'm one of the first people to extol the virtues about the practicality of the FI engines on FChat.

The ideal scenario is to get both!

There is no need for FI owners to be insecure about the prowess of the DD engine, and in any case, by sheer volume of production numbers alone, twice as many Countach QV owners will tell you that the DD is the variant they covet, based on the understanding that people simply champion the cause of what they have and there are twice as many DDs.

There is at least one person reading this who has both a FI & DD, and perhaps they will come on and share an un-biased opinion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dont think anyone who owns an F/I Countach feels insecure about a DD. I realize you want to hype the DD as much as possible as you will have one for sale ( like you did with the 25th Anniversary) . The conversation is simply about about the fact that EURO DD cars were free of emissions (catalytic converters) and that both motors make very similar power when in identical configuration.

You provided dyno results to back up your claims, which I refuted that the sources you quoted were incorrect. Im certain that we could find quite a few F/I owners who would be willing to show real world results.

12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He is saying " I think the carbs are out of synch, thats why you blew past me so hard! " :)

13. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Guessing 88.5 - I believe I can see the top edge of the skirt.

-mick

14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #2839 Jalpa_Mike, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Sell more cars? I thought they wanted to sell less cars, really. Good one.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Got it now, agreed.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I already sell Downdrafts whenever possible Cars | Joe Sackey Classics

The Downdraft thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/503457-countach-downdraft.html was created as an enthusiasts resource, and it speaks for itself. If it is regarded only as 'hype' to cause the cars to be appreciated and values to ascend, I'm good with that, it means there will be a lot of happy Downdraft owners.

As regards the Mimran Downdraft, Ive waited 30 years for a Lamborghini like this, and I wont make the same mistake I made 25 years ago by letting go of my first Downdraft! I hold it in higher regard than any of the Lamborghinis Ive owned with an interesting provenance, and that's saying something all those cars considered. Ive never owned a Lamborghini that was a personal car of the owner of the factory, someone whom Ive also been very fortunate to connect with. But a more practical reason for me keeping it is to use it as a rolling example of the restoration business we are now becoming involved in.

18. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    Was the factory really "fascinated" with the DD, or was it just cheaper to build without the FI, CATS, SMOG,BUMPERS, ECT ?? Did a FI car have a list price more, less or the same as a DD ? Was it cheaper for the factory to build a DD over a FI car ? Is the reason there are more DD than FI cars just a result that FI cars were built for a smaller portion of the planet "USA" and the rest of the CARB cars could be sold in many more countries and that's why there are more DD cars rather than a love of the DD cars by the factory ? Seems like a simple economics question as to the larger number of DD produced. Please don't get mad, not making any claims, just asking a question that I don't know the answer to.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great question.

You are correct, it was cheaper to build the DDs without all the ancillary components you mention, in all honesty.

You are also correct that the reason the DDs are more prolific is because the markety that needed the FI was a smaller portion of the market.

When I say the factory was fascinated by the DD engine, I am not focusing on the production cars where economics ruled as you correctly illustrate, but I'm really basing this on the reason the Super Countach used a DD and not a FI, when both were available, and the reason the FIA Homologation cars were DDs and not FIs, when both were available. IMO it comes down to the potency of the DD unit, and I'll be publishing some material in support of this notion soon.

20. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats

This would make a reasonable person think it is a correct statement.....after all I am sure Lamborghini, regardless of who was in charge and owned it at the time, was there to make it produce a positive in the "Black" return.

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Potency of the Dd engine was simply status qou,and the fact it had no cats or emission ,any further developement of this engine in order to gain power and reliabilitie would require fuel injection, they simpley used what they where set up for,and a quick way to get the car FIA papers being it requires a certain amount of cars buildt,The old saying"if it work dont change it" 3years later the Diablo came along with fuel injection,based on the countach engine architecture, the Super Countach was a last hurray to the old carb,with no intended future pla whatsoever, a fun project amongst the boys,perhaps with a few Future Diablo suspension bits and underpinnings in mind. Cool project, glad they did it,but there where no plans to bring a carburated engine inn to the 90s,

22. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No doubt. The car is going to be amazing, and it is certainly a special example. Look forward to seeing it done.

23. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    What other countries received FI cars besides USA ?

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    AFAIK just Canada.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you.

I'll be happy to share it with you & anyone interested, and happy to pass on any and all resources established in recent times.