Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #26 markmoon, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bundy likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Congrats! Isn't this car a hoot to drive? It's like an 80's group C racer.

3. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agree completely!!!!!! I really cannot believe they could produce it for the MSRP. We saw them being assembled during our tour at Maserati in June. I realized then that I had to have one. What a fun, pure sports car.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i love it!!!!!

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The truth is Alfa CAN'T produce this car at this price. They lose money on every one. It was a halo project to make a statement about the brand. I was told the CF tub alone costs 40 grand. Lamborghini and McLaren don't use a hand laid up process. Its a kind of transfer molding to lower the cost. But they have to put additional "good looking" CF panels on top of the exposed areas because the raw material looks bad.

As a halo car it worked, and those who are lucky enough to understand what a modern interpretation of an 70's exotic car would be will appreciate it.

Everyone else go screw yourselves in the back of your Lexus'.

6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Congrats. It's like having a luxury go kart for the streets.
    I'd say it would be the most fun you could have in a car, but you have an F12 next to it.

I rarely drive my 360 or my truck anymore. Since acquiring the 4C, I am always looking for a reason to take it for a spin. Even with it's limited space, I still do errands with it.

7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Especially when you watch the video on how they are made. There is quite a team tending to each tub. And with all those precision cut pieces, the hours to assemble with autoclave time seems like a slow process and costly.

You might be able to find it on youtube. If not, it's called "How it's made: Dream Cars - Alfa Romeo 4C" You can find it on iTunes. It's a neat little video.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If it were this easy to make a hand laid up CF tub for 2 seat sports cars for $70 grand everyone would be doing it.

Do you see anyone else doing it? :)

9. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have either of you gents looked into the Eurocompulsion or Madness Autoworks ECU upgrade for the 4C?? It's quick already, but I have read a number of positive reviews on the Eurocompulsion ECU, which supposedly makes a noticeable difference.

Maybe it's not even a good idea, but thought I'd ask. Thing is, the F12 is frankly just too fast for the street and, while I adore it, the 4C is a car that feels faster than it is ( I think) and is really involving at sane speeds. As Jeremy Clarkson recently described it, " a Ferrari puppy"......

10. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I have it on my DVR. Once we went to Modena and watched them being made, I found this very video. I was hooked!!!

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have not but you can check out 4c-forum. There are people there who have and can give you tips.

As to the "too fast" issue---

I gave up my 458 spider because I could not drive it anywhere with any aggression. As soon as I hit 9 grand (which was awesome!) and I shifted I was already doing 60 MPH on city streets. Exotics today have gotten out of control. I always felt there was a cop behind me or something dangerous in front of me going as I tried to use it as intended.

Look at it this way: The speed limit in the 1960's was 70 MPH. Its still 70 MPH today.

In the 1970's an exotic would go 0-60 in 6 seconds and do 150 MPH if you dared to. Today a super car will do 0-60 in 3 seconds and 210 MPH without much drama.

They've outgrown their usefulness except for track purposes. Well, I drive on city street 99.99999999% of the time so I'd like a fun car to drive for the time I spend in it most.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    We are in Monterey for the big car orgy aka car week.
    **** tons of Porsches, ferraris etc.
    Have yet to see ONE 4c

13. ferraripete

this is part of the allure to me!

14. ferraripete

so i went to grab coffee this morning in my jaguar. i pulled up to the front of the shop and there was a 4c parked in front of me. i took the opportunity to look it over and it sure was a sexy little machine. the owner came out to talk to me and tell me that he was simply in love with the car. told me much of what i have learned on this site from owner's accounts. when he was leaving, i did notice that while in neutral, the passenger side tail pipe seemed to rattle whereas the drivers side was very stable. it was something i could not bare. under load it stopped and when he left, the car sounded insane...a big bark and lovely sounds as he jumped from first to second. it was like an imsa racer. i was able to quickly overlook the rattle at idle.

have any of you all noticed the scenario i descried or do you think this issue would be solved under warranty?

what a little jewel of a car however. maybe the closest thing to a modern day stratos that we will ever see!!

15. ferraripete

appointment made for Saturday at bob baker alfa romeo for Saturday morning! this has all the risk of a typical alfa love fest for me:)

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've never heard of that issue. The car comes with a bumper to bumper 3 year warranty with roadside assistance. It's basically like Fiat / Chrysler.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There's a group from LA going up this weekend.

18. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was very highly involved with the 4C ECU thread and somehow got in the middle of the tuners squabbles. Eurocompulsion claimed their cars tune would smoke the Pogea tune by 4 car lengths and 60+ hp difference. After I couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore, I ended up challenging anyone with an EC tune to put their money with the tuners mouth was. I was running a stage 1 with no air filter. The Eurocompulsion was a stage 2 with stock air filter also. I ended up posting a quicker time on the drag slip when running side by side.

At one point, Madness was the exclusive distributer of Pogea, from what I heard was that there was defaults on Madness paying for products and Madness did what Eurocompulsion was originally accused of, copying the Pogea ECU. Pogea was the first to come out with the tune, not to mention the Centurion 4C's they built as well. Check those out if you get a chance.
    So, as my response was, probably very tiring, that's how the threads their became with all the back and forth nonsense.

At the end of the day, every ECU upgrade will blow your mind over the stock one. However, I can tell you on the Pogea, with multiple hard driven track days, in extreme heat, I've never had a code thrown or problem.

Being your in Florida, EC is up in NY and dealing with them maybe easier. But if you'd like some Pogea products, let me know. I currently have ECU sitting in German customs waiting to be delivered to Pogea for a stage 1.5 upgrade and turbo downpipe, Also, check out their valved exhaust for the 4C, it's art.

Sorry to put you all to sleep.

19. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks very much. I read some info on the 4C forum site. I did see where Madness Autoworks used to carry the Pogea ECU tune ( listed now as discontinued). From your response, is it your impression that the Madness Autoworks ECU is any better/worse than the Eurocompulsion?? The Pogea ECU sounds compelling, but the idea of dealing with customs, possible shipping glitches, etc, worries me. I assume when you said you had a Stage 1 tune you are referring to the Pogea product?? How did your measured time compare with the Eurocompulsion Stage 2?? Thank you so much for any insight.

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mark, you might try calling/visiting Mase Engineering and ask their opinion. Mase is a well known race and high performance road car tuner/dyno shop. they are on the southside just south of 295.

Home | Mase Engineering | Tuning, Consulting, Product Development

21. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd drive it for a while without the tune. I think if you aren't tracking the car it doesn't make that much sense. As The Mayor alluded to, the car is fast enough on city streets, even the backroads of TN where I hang out.
    I had my 308 parked at a cars n coffee next to a 458. I explained the difference to a friend: In the 458 if I get pulled over, I'll be arrested. In the 308 I'll just a get a reckless driving ticket. The 4c is the same way. Fast enough to be fun but not so fast that you'll end up in jail.

I've noticed my exhaust tips vibrate a fair amount but not to the point where they rattle or make any noise.

If you are interested in a 4c, check out Harper Fiat/Alfa Romeo in Knoxville. Offering some really good discounts on in stock models. I was there a few weeks ago and they had 6. Since they've sold 2. Good guys to work with.

22. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'd definitely go with EC over Madness. They both have good customer service. Both companies are about the same, but I will say Madness is really overpriced. They had upmarked the Pogea ECU way more than what the retail was supposed to be. Hence, why they didn't sell as many and lost them as a company.

yes, I have the Pogea products and their quality is a step above the rest. You wouldn't have to deal with the customs thing. I am having additional tuning done, that's why I sent my back out for the upgrade. From what I have found, Eduard Pogea is actually pretty easy to deal with and get ahold of. The thing is he is engineering for some many different cars and is constantly traveling. If you wanted Pogea parts, I could put you in direct contact with him.

We measured the time by going out to Autoclub Speedway dragstrip and running both cars side by side. We both ran the same amount of gas and in pretty hot temperatures. Just seemed silly someone would make such a bullcrap claim and than get beat at the track. My whole thing with EC was they are full of crap with their dyno results and absurd stories of their car smoking the Pogea by 4 car lengths by just having an additional 60hp. Which turns out, it doesn't. Otherwise the EC is pretty close to being on par with the Pogea tune. But it is not better or faster, so keep that in mind.

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I really hate this thread, wish the mods would delete it...

(because now I'm looking at buying a 4C, something I don't need right now)

:D

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I'll look into them. Cheers.

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Test drove a 4C today...thinking about a track car. Now, I must admit I am spoiled and jaded by driving cars like the F12 and Speciale (and C7 Z06) at considerably more money...but...was not overly impressed.

Car is cute to look at, CF tub looks cool.
    Climbed gingerly in, being 6'2"... Tight fit.
    First impression...cheap plastic here and there, ok no big deal.
    Fire it up..dash display looked cheap..hard to read revs and other items..kind of busy looking.
    Drive off and has nice pick up in auto mode, nice turbo whistle, feels gocart-like..fun and tiny.
    Switched over to manual mode...crappy little plastic shift paddles that are too small IMO, move with the wheel, and the engine note doesn't give you enough sound variety to know exactly where to shift by you ear like the Italia/Speciale/F12 does, have to glance at rev counter...in the Ferrari you can shift with your eyes closed at know within a few hundred rpms where you are near the redline. The DCT was not quick at all, lazy shifts.
    Changing direction quickly it pitches and rolls...not flat like the Ferraris..still felt stable though..but not as confidence-inspiring as the Speciale.

It needs (at a minimum in my book):
    Better and clearer dash graphics.
    Better suspension.
    Better shift paddles that are fixed in position.
    Faster gear changes.
    Louder exhaust to listen for shift points.
    Another 100 hp to keep up with the Subarus out there.
    For the price point the cheap plastics are ok given everything else you are getting, but still disappointing for an Italian toy costing $70k+.

Think I'll pass.
    I think Porsche has 'em on this one.