Greenville, SC, area restaurant recommendations, please | FerrariChat

Greenville, SC, area restaurant recommendations, please

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Jack-the-lad, Oct 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My wife and I will be in Greenville for just two nights, treating some friends to dinner. Of course, their preferences are important to us, but what are your top five restaurant recommendations for an excellent food and service, regardless of price or type of cuisine?

Thanks.

Jack

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Nearby there is a Ruth Chris, unless you are specifically looking for something in the downtown area.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #3 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    All of the Rick Erwins are good. If you want to come just a few miles North towards Atlanta stop in for wine at the home and garage then dinner nearby at Namis or Rick Erwin's. We will be happy to crack a few bottles. We are just at exit 19B Clemson/Anderson.

Also in Greenville I especially like Larkins on the River.

4. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    David recommended some good ones. There is a lot to choose from for sure. Enjoy your time here!!!

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Also, if your profile is correct about Goodwood...me lady wants to do the ultimate driving tour that features Goodwood. Perhaps you could shed some light on this.

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    This was our favorite of the two Erwins.

Bob Z.

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No specific area, but I prefer not to patronize chain restaurants when in cities I haven't visited before. Typically I like to find out where the locals go. The last Ruth's experience I had, in Ft. Lauderdale, was not acceptable based on what they charge.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    How about The Trappe Door? Has anyone here tried it?

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've been there several times - it's awesome! Great food, great drinks, great area! Expensive but worth it!

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  14. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    I've been to Trappe Door a few times but only to drink so I cannot speak of their food. Barley's Taproom is right above Trappe Door though and they are supposed to have great pizza. It's been a while since I've eaten there though. My wife works downtown so we rarely ever go downtown anymore these days.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, everybody. I think we'll give Larkin's a try.

Frankly I was hoping that with the presence of BMW, Michelin, etc., that there would be more European-style cafes, bistros, and even "fine dining" in town, but apparently not.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Walk around down town, there are plenty - Trio is an excellent bistro that I posted the link for - give it a try for lunch.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Coincidentally in today's The Wall Street Journal there's a very brief description of Greenville as one of "10 Buzzy Destinations on the Brink of Change to Visit in 2017."

It's short enough I'll go ahead and quote it.

The stars have aligned to make this Southern belle, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Dream Town, USA. Lots of investment - by Michelin, BMW, Mitsubishi - has ushered in international flair; the city's become a hub for the tech community; the thriving food scene includes some 120 restaurants along the tree-lined Main Street; a couple of historic districts are admirably preserved; and the NCAA chose Greenville as the new host for the 2017 men's basketball tournament.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Oh yeah, has received national attention for a number of years now. Northern liberals stay away!!! They come here for low taxes, better lifestyle, etc, but over time will ruin it like everything else they touch. May take a while...

19. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let's say I'm bringing 30 or so motorcycles for lunch at Larkin's on a Thursday next June. Recommendations on parking? :):)

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Now that is cool and if we are in town, you have to stop in to see us as we are on 85 at 19B. Also, great place to start up to the Dragon and that area. I've done this road many time. 28 to Highlands, Franklin, Bryson City, tail of the Dragon. Or even Asheville via Highlands and the parkway. We have plenty of room here to park the bikes.

Contact Larkins, there is parking out front perhaps, or they will arrange it. Great folks, we've had events there.