LM 002 thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

LM 002 thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Marcello, Dec 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    that thing looks like a monster. you need a cheetah with a spike collar in the passenger seat everywhere you go

2. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Loving that. More pictures please!

3. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Thanks everyone. I'll post some more pictures when the weather clears up. Pouring at the moment!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Funny. I thought California just decided not to have rain anymore. How are the mud slides?

5. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    A couple roads on MT Tam were closed but no accidents etc. The rain comes and goes. Starting to just drizzle now. Did you get the VINs? Sorry it took a while.

6. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Looking great!
    Why is the radiator so bright? They were black from the factory, only A/C radiator in front of the main rad had unpainted aluminum foil.

7. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Looks like a custom radiator.
    Amazing restoration

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes I did

Thanks

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A/C condenser is behind the right headlight. The one in front of the radiator is the P/S cooler if memory serves.

In that picture you can really tell how big the radiator is.

10. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Thanks and yes it's a custom radiator. I had the original one reconditioned and set aside. The clutch fan has also been deleted and some electric fans sit behind the radiatior now. They continue to run after the car's off until it returns to temp. I'll include some photos of the setup soon. It actually looks pretty period.

11. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Who is doing the work? Looks great

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yours had a clutch fan? Of all the LM's I have worked on I never saw a clutch fan, only the direct drive big cast aluminum piece.

13. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #113 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    No you're correct (force of habit "saying clutch fan"). Just a solid piece but it's now removed.

14. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #114 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    I've done a lot of the work myself over the years. For some of the more fine tuned things I've had help from a shop Valtellina Automobili, which used to be in Sausalito.

Currently I'm trying to compile all of the photos of the restoration. Once they're all together I'll post.

Also important edit- My close friend Fabio Cocchio who was a Diablo GTR mechanic during Lamborghini days helped with a lot of the work. He's now the Chief Mechanic at AF Corsa for their GT2/3 teams.

I set the old interior aside and Vallentino sourced new leather for the whole interior from the factory. He's been a great help to me as well.

Had to make sure I include everyone

15. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Would love to see pictures, and I live in Kentfield, so would like to see the truck or any part thereof in person. Where did Rico go?

16. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Oh thats awesome. He moved up to Sonoma, not far from downtown. I took him some CT parts this weekend actually. I just got to Brazil yesterday but when I get back and the weathers nice I'd be happy to show the car.

17. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #117 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I have tried twin electric fans 12 inches but they are not enough on Jakarta traffic so I decided to go back to the original direct drive fan setup.

19. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Haha so far so good but I haven't driven the car enough yet to know for certain how it'll behave. Good to know though, I'll keep an eye out.

20. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #120 BlueBiturbo, Feb 5, 2017
    Actually I have tried three different setups. A BMW fan clutch with BMW blades, twin electronic fans with fan shroud, aaaand finally back to the original OEM direct shaft.

Test which one is the best option for you. Enjoy Your LM. Please post lots or pics :)

21. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    I only have the two electric fans in front of the radiator, no engine driven fan, I would like a clutch drive one and looked at the one on the BMW 740 E38, this is a single screw on unit, not the four bolt fitting method on the LM, I considered modifying it, but was concerned about the balance issue & having the fan coming through the bonnet at 7000rpm, any ideas!!!!

22. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Sorry, I hadn't meantioned that DD and FI radiator setups are completely different.
    On DD LM you have a medium sized A/C condenser - designed to help the one behind the headlamp.
    On FI LM you have a big A/C condenser basically the same size as the water radiator (or close enough). Also it's got twin fans in front of the central condenser unit.
    Actually, I've never serviced a FI LM with my hands, but that's what I noticed.

Not sure if P/S radiator exists (don't remember), but you have a lot of Setrab radiators below the frame bulk in the front. There's surely the one for a transfer case, and the other might be for P/S. I would rather add another one - to cool the gearbox. There's a whole lot of heat while driving this car! It gets bloody hot.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There must be some differences for different markets because while we own a FI truck I have worked on many carbureted trucks and I don't recall any with an A/C condenser as you described. The US trucks have 2 large electric cooling fans set at different coolant temps occupying that space. There is also a transmission cooler right next to a transfer case cooler. The only items not cooled are the differentials. I have a number of underhood photos on my computer at home. I will have to look for the design you describe.

24. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #124 BlueBiturbo, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Mine is a RHD FI. The front radiator is L-shaped, AC condenser behind right headlights, too small and I added more in front of the grile. Engine oil cooler sits behind the left headlights. I don't remember about the gearbox and the transfer case cooler.

25. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #125 BlueBiturbo, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK my mechanic told me three small coolers below the water radiator, one for power steering, one for gearbox and one for transfer case.

The first pic below is my strangely shaped radiator. The second pic shows the additional AC condenser in front of the radiator.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login