LM 002 thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

LM 002 thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Marcello, Dec 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #127 Rifledriver, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    On any LM I have worked on, carb or FI the electric cooling fans take up the entire space between the radiator and grill. There is no space left for an A/C condenser.

The fans move so much air it drowns out the radio. I rewired them so they only come on at 100c or above. They almost never run that way.

Every cooled transmission I have ever worked on had an internal pump for pressurized oiling and used that to move oil to the cooler.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Did you make that radiator? Have never seen that design.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our PS cooler is behind the left headlight and the trans and transfer coolers are together down below.

5. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #130 S_AGATA, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    The RHD radiator setup was done by Prodrive.
    It's weird because they had used the normal LHD steering box, which sits on the left hand side of the left frame rail.
    So now they had it on the left hand side of the right frame rail. So it was only possible with a weird radiator.

BTW, I was happy with a fixed fan setup. Although it eats some HP, overheating was never ever an issue, once I tuned the carbs.
    Usually I had about 85c, summer traffic jams were landing me in 90c zone.

7. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS

That ia a copy of the original. My car along with the chassis 234 was converted to RHD by Prodrive UK. The weird shape is necessary due to the RHD steering mechanism.

8. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    From the picture it looks like Your car only has twin puller fans. There is no pusher fans from the front of the radiator.

Mine has twin pusher fans on the front and a mechanical puller fan directly driven by the engine shaft. My first pusher fans started at 85 deg Celsius and the second one at 90 degree Celsius.

9. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Correct. If it doesn't hold up I may try something else but worse case scenario I'll just put the original fan back on. I like the look of the radiator in the front but pusher fans are probably a good idea.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I thought yours was 234.

11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    My mistake. I meant 301. Mine is 234

12. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    #137 Mr Mezzanotte, Feb 21, 2017
  13. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    So here are the news.
    The part #27 dubbed as Spacer is a viscous coupling inside the transfer case.
    However, I'm 99% sure that in most cases it's already dead there, i.e. locking too soon and hard. So that's why you shouldn't run 4x4 mode unless sure that the viscous coupling properly slips and locks. I haven't found a certain test procedure yet.
    In 99% you should change the fluid in the viscous coupling before engagement on roads. So every LM002 should opt for a transfer case rebuilding these days, as 30 years passed, and all these years the silicon fluid spent inside a case full of hot transmission oil.
    As I've heard people do break the transfer cases, and that might be the reason.

14. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Does anyone have details/VIN of the Green LM002 at Amelia this year?

The paint reminded me of Malcom Forbes "money green" Countach (paint was also on several of his other cars).

15. sultan722

sultan722 Rookie

Nov 26, 2016
    Hey guys, I'm trying to replace my LM002 clutch, any Ideas.

My clutch recently got burned, the car cannot be put in gear, even though i give it throttle it wouldn't move.

What should I do, and where can I get a clutch?

16. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Sounds strange!
    You mean, you can't put it in gear with the clutch pedal fully pressed? If so, would it start in gear? At firtst, it sounds like clutch cylinder problem more than actual clutch.

You can get a clutch at your local Lamborghini dealer or eBay (some people have NOS clutches).

17. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Recently I've bought few Countach 25th anniversary repair manuals and I can now be sure that my distributor was OK.
    The factory timing for L507 4V engine goes from 13 deg. advance at idle to 33 deg. advance at "over 5000" RPM. Which was exactly what I had on the down-draught LM002 with L510 4V engine (basically, identical, with only intake being different).

Whether it's right or wrong, it's a matter of discussion. The car was significantly faster with the wrong timing I've set later on.

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    +1 Did the same thing. Although there are other alterations, JLA12100 pulls much stronger than its stable mate (black LM earlier in thread).

19. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #144 S_AGATA, Apr 26, 2017
  20. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just out of curiosity what did you paint the frame with? Was is a custom blend conventional automotive paint?

22. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    We matched the original color and then had a blend made, correct. Its been a while, I have some stored away with its original interior etc.

23. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Hard to find accurate reviews of the LM. Even Jay Leno's was littered with false info - not saying he's not a great guy.

Cool Period review

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jth2ppbuY[/ame]

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was pretty good except for the Kevlar tire comment. I don't understand why everyone needs to attach some fable to the tires. They are Nylon just like every other heavy duty tire. The difference is DuPont owns the name Nylon so they called it by its scientific name Polyamid.

The guy showing the car in Jay Lenos Garage didn't know squat about them.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was wondering if you had found some industrial coating in the right color or if it was just paint. It looks good.