Original PIRELLI Tires for 206/246 | FerrariChat

Original PIRELLI Tires for 206/246

Discussion in '206/246' started by Reddol, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reddol

Reddol Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    Italy
    I have some of these tires

They are 205/70 VR 14 PIRELLI CN36, the tires which equipped the new cars.

The tires are 100% new, dark-stored for 30 years.

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Dark-stored or not, there's no way I would drive over about 30 mph on 30 year-old tires. Okay for trailering and showing, but that's it.

3. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Dino's did not come equipped with Pirelli - Only Michelin X's and then XWX's

Pietro

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Actually, they were Michelin XVR (XWXs didn't come until later) or Goodyear G800 Grand Prix.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hmm - I thought some were also shipped with XDXs (I think that is what they were).

6. Reddol

Reddol Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    Italy
    Some Italian owners I talked to were pretty sure that in Italy they were equipped with those Pirelli tires.
    They didn't know about Dino sold in other countries.

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Reddol - please check your pm. I have sent a few e-mails without reply. I am interested in the CN36s.

Jim S.

8. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

we now have the 205/70WR14 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 | Longstone Tyres in stock as a new production tyre.

Does anyone know if they were ever fitted by Ferrari?

Incidentally i have 2 very old 205/70VR14 XDX in my stash of old tyres in case anyone wants them for display purposes.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Did you mean (Mich) XWX?

10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  11. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #11 Watsonvg, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    When I bought my 230 SL I found on the car 25 years old tyres. The feeling was terrible, especially in the wet. It seemed to me to drive on oil. No way to use so old tyres.

XWX and XDX were the only tyres I saw on italian new cars in the 70s in Crepaldi workshop. I think this ones are the best for our Dino. In the 80s I made an attempt with Good Year (I don't remember the type) and I gave them back in a few Kilometers because the limit was very low in comparison with Michelin. There were screeching for nothing.
    About Pirelli CN36 I heard they became very noisy starting with 50% of consumption and became flat if you stopped the car for 24 hours only; so it took 20 km to get them back with the right roundness.
    So...

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#12 dinogts, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    No, he meant what he said - XDX, as I mentioned in this thread about 9 and 1/2 years ago. In fact, one of my manuals for a 246 mentions only a Michelin 185 VR 14 X. And yes, this is a manual for a 246, not a 206.

Where have you been? ;) [and I do mean that nicely!!]

(WOW - interesting to see an almost 10 year old thread about obscure old tires coming back from the dead)

13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Erm. that was me.

it is a thread that dealt with a subject i wanted to discuss. the CN36 tyres that were such a benchmark tyre from 1968 throughout the '70s and into the early '80s. When you read some of the magazine articles of the day they were the bees knees.

The Porsche fraternity are going bonkers for them. they were very much a Porsche tyre in the period and Porsche have teamed up with Pirelli and N marked them.

This is a German article comparing Porsche tyres. Classic Porsche Tyres | Longstone Tyres

However i like this comment:

It seems the CN36 is an evil tyre.

This always seems to happen. Until now the only tyre for a Dino has been the XWX https://www.borrani.com/michelin-tyres/xwx/205-70vr14-michelin-xwx.html . and for the first time in years there is actually an alternative appropriate option; the CN36 https://www.borrani.com/pirelli-tyres/cinturato-cn36/205-70vr14-pirelli-cinturato.html and someone is dead keen to point out what an evil tyre it is.

DinoGTS - can you tell me what year your car is? I sort of thought, they changed to 205/70 at the end of 1968 or early 1969, but i'm keen to learn