365GT4 2+2 air filter housings | FerrariChat

365GT4 2+2 air filter housings

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Bill26, Feb 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    The conventional wisdom is that the housings are originally finished in black crinkle but I have some doubt and was wondering if anyone here can give an unequivocal answer.

The reason for wondering is that GTC4 (Euro) and 400 Carby air filter bodies were originally satin black so it would seem a little odd that the model between would have black crinkle (U.S. spec C4's had black crinkle though).

I suspect that over the years, many/most have been refinished in black crinkle - probably because it looks nice (but that doesn't make it correct).

Does anyone know of any super-original 365's that have satin finish air cleaners (that appear to be original)?

Thanks and regards

WM

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    FWIW Bill,mine were always crackle,when I bought it in '07 they looked pretty original with bis taken out.missing whenever the filters were changed.

3. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #3 Arvid, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Same here. The filter housings had a very nice patina on the wrinkle finish and normal wear and chipping from decades of service and use. Can't possibly think they have been flat black when new.

But - the wrinkle paint is less coarse than on the valve covers.

4. EVOeng

EVOeng Karting

Jul 1, 2011
    London, England
    As said above, mine were originally crackle finish too.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #5 samsaprunoff, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Bill,

I have two sets of airboxes here... the originals which are crinkle finish and another set which are also crinkle. Reviewing the 365's owner's manual there is a picture of the air boxes on page 53 (see pic). Although a bit hard to tell it does look like the picture (image) has a crinkle finish, as one can see a slight texture. That being said, there are pictures on the web where the 365 air boxes are satin... For me, given the owner's manual image and my original boxes being crinkle, I am staying with crinkle.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. fly275

fly275 Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Midwest USA
    I am going with Crinkle. My late 1974 365 GT/4 2+2 has original patina and Crinkle finish. I got the car 2005 and that is the way it came. It is a driver+, quality car that came with lots of maint but almost no restoration. So I think it is original.

7. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Thanks for your comments, gents - it looks like black crinkle finish is correct.

Regards

WM

8. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Mine is a 74' the housings are sequential numbers and I have no reason to believe that they have been refinished. They are satin black. They still have the firing order sticker on them. (why I never refinished.) Maybe they ran out of wrinkle paint that day?

afterburner likes this.
  9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And the plot thickens....

10. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Thread-jack here: Who is a good source for air filters that fit?

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    These where on my car when I bought it : OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

They fit good and are not to expensive. Last main service I replaced them with soft foam filters - one for each carb. So much easier to deal with.

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    How do you hang your radiator catch tank without the right side air cleaner installed? Mine is currently clamped to my non-functioning ac compressor.

13. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Hmm, doubts arise again!

14. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Re the air filter elements - does anyone have any comments on those sold by Mr. Fiat?

Thanks and regards

WM

15. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I still have the filter housings - the foam filters are inside. The ones I bought is just the right size so they fit perfectly inside.

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Do you happen to remember the part number of vendor of the foam filters? I ask, as removing the filters is not an easy task on my car... especially the left hand side where I had to remove the entire air box just to get to the filter out!

Cheers,

Sam

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

I cannot comment about the filters... but I did not have a great experience with Mr. Fiat. Ultimately everything turned out ok, but not without a lot of extra effort. I am very, very glad that I paid via a method that had a mechanism in place if the goods were not as described or if I was unhappy with them.

Cheers,

Sam

18. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Good day to you Sam :)

Yes I do. I bought these : 3 X RamAir Carb Sock Air Filters Triumph Tr6 Wide Port 150bhp Weber 40 DCOE | eBay

They fit snugly around the trumpets and I can close up the filter housing with ease. The soft foam shape makes it easy to install them even if space is tight. They are shallower than the filter housing so air can travel into the housing and sirculate around the foam filters. They don't need any oiling and can be cleaned and reinstalled.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Thank you very much! The link you provided was an older link, but I was able to get the helpful info within it. Here is a more recent link if anyone else is interested:

3 x RAMAIR High Flow Performance Carb Sock Air Filters Weber DCOE Dellorto DHLA

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

20. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    A local guru who was a "Wrinkle Finish Disciple" has just seen another set of air cleaners in perfect condition - Satin Black and still with the firing order sticker.

I am beginning to think the finish might have depended on the day and the paint stock at the time.

Regards

WM

21. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Getting the 365/400 fettled ,are we???

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

I am thinking like you too... it would seem that details like these did not have an official standard. I wonder how the Concours Judges review these items and/or determine what is "correct" given these variances? Perhaps RifleDriver will chime in and comment?

Cheers,

Sam

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Simon,

Bill is not the only one :) ... I am trying my best to have my car driving this upcoming season...

Cheers,

Sam

24. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Little 'in' bit.

Bill has acquired a well known Queensland car that(I don't think he'll mind) has been re-engined with a 400 motor.
    That's all I'm saying,he may give me a spray for putting it up.

BTW Bill,I had to used the trailer Saturday to pick up one of my cars that destroyed itself against a Woolies truck on the Kuranda range....it tows really well at 160Kph!

25. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Another deal that Marc didn't give me a heads up over :(
    I did get the wheels, though :)