Huracan LP640 Performante | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Huracan LP640 Performante

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Speed Demon 1, Oct 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Saw that...of course the fast lap had many other variables as Marco pointed out - tires, uprated stiffer suspension mechanical grip, lighter weight and of course the 750% increase in downforce with the aero vectoring.
    I was simply pointing out the importance of lighter weight (compared to 918) and what significance it plays in cornering speed.
    We are essentially saying the same thing.
    My point, however, is that people don't understand how all these factors come into play and very much allow the car to be that fast on the Ring. It is very believable in my eyes.

Sent from my 16M

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You know, funny enough, I believe the Huracans lap much more than I believe the time for the SV. It's just too dang heavy.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yep if youre interested in one lap, a 918 is ineteresting, but that just showboating.
    If you go to the track, and use your car on track, you drive multiple laps. No lardy car will hold up for multiple laps, even if the brakes can be made to last the tires wont.

Its the issue with so many magazine lap tests, its one fastest lap. If w ehad 10 lap average speeds with time for last lap I'll bet the pecking order wpuld be quite different.

The Performante shows in many ways the way to go, which has always been the way to go. A very well devloped chasis lighter weight aero and a NA engine. Serioulsy 700 or 8000 or whaever hp does not make a car faster on track in any serious contest, especialy if there is a big weight penalty, but it does make it faster on paper.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    What does performante weigh? Im sure its north of 3500 lbs. What makes you think it can lap all day long?

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Have you done a lot of track days? I'm not trying to be condescending. Most cars require a cool down. Also, when I've done laps at a track, I get out after a lap or two and look at the data to see if there is anywhere I can improve my times. Plus the 'Ring is a massive lap. longer and more complex than basically anywhere else. I don't know if there as many drivers (maybe pros) who could push the car to the max for more than 1 lap without a cool down just to refocus and look at the data.

Now, do I like that the Huracan P did so well without being a complicated hybrid, yes of course!

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably 3,400 lbs in Europe and 3,500 lbs in USA.

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im with cvk on that and on jim g idea of a manufacturer ring test (which will never happen)

9. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    #159 kingjr9000, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #160 boxerman, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah probably 15-20 days on track per year, these vary from 5 X 30 mins to 5X40 mins, tracks are anything from LRP to Plamer to WGI to Monticello, so from tight 1.7 miles to 2.4 miles. Most any serious track cars can run 10-15 laps of say watkins glenn at a sustained near full tilt or full tilt pace, the limiting factors usualy being tires, and more than anything else tires are a function of weight, secondarily being driving style.. A cool down lap to me comes at the end of say 10-15 laps at full tilt and is done to bring the machineary down to a more stable temp before shutting off and not because the car is fading. For example to allow the brakes rotors to cool so you dont boil fliud in the calipers when you shut down and there is no more coolign air, same with the motor to avoid hot spots.

Yes its true that with rare exceptions most out the box cars cant sustain their full tilt pace on track, even without worrying about tires. Even those that can need suitable pads(can be street track) and suitable brake fluid. But many porches can mechanicaly sustain full pace, certainly Gt3s and Gt4s can, new Z06 reportedly cannot but grand sports can very well and pretty much any lotus can. Reputedly the last camaro z28 ran into temp issues before 10 laps and its weight certainly smoked tires really quickly. GT350Rs mechanical can sustain pace.

If you have to run light cool down laps every two or even 3-5 laps I would say your car is not really "track spec" even if it is capable of doing a few laps at speed and therein lays the problem. Many car comapnies say their cars are designed for the track becauise they can turn a few fast laps and magazines love to quote fastest lap time. But if cars are sold as track capable as many are, then its more relevant and inetresting to know what their sustained pace is over 10 laps and pace on lap 10. If nothing else this would lead to more suitably devloped cars for those who actualy do take them to the track.

Nurbering is what 17 miles around. WGI is i think 2.4 miles so 10 laps of WGI is already more than 1 lap of nurbering and probably much harder on car too as nurbering has many fast flowing sections. How many sustained lap[s can a 918 do of WGI or any number of other tracks, and if it cant do too many because it runs out of battery or its weight smokes the tires, then to me its just a gimick car, too fast for the street and not really trackable despite its single fast lap. Also lots of people do multiple laps at nurbering.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    At least you know what you're talking about and this isn't a discussion with a keyboard warrior. I don't think I'd call the 918/P1/Laf gimmick cars. They're first generation. But they were necessary to show us a possible way forward.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #162 boxerman, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

Not sure they are the way forwards, at least not for a long time. Formula E is more interesting in developing the bat tech for goign forwards.

To me 918 laf andfP1 is just application of tech because they could, it sounded green and would post some great paper numbers even if only for short bursts. So yes its a possible way forwards, but sold as ultimate performance now. A BMW I8 does the same tech demo job of showing the way forwards without pretending to be ultimate performance

The Laf is ineteresting because its using battery power to assist a highly tuned motor to fill in the Tq deficit from such a tune, so with futuire lighter batteries could be the way to go. But all these cars are too heavy, and depelete batteries and that negates sustained laptimes. .

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Listed DRY weight for the performante is 3047 lbs. Since wet weight is actualy what happens on planet earth when a car moves under its own power, seems like somewhere maybe below 3300lbs. Certainly not heavy, but not really light either.

Still it seems that of the current crop of supercars, in the +200-1mill range if you go to the track with your street car the performante is the one to have, not just because of the numbers, but also becauise its NA and reputedly is great to drive. In other words the perfromante embodies what made many ferrari street cars great and lambo is not playing second fiddle here..

Below that price threshold the Gt3 and below that vette grand sport cayman Gt4, and exige (in europe), below that Gt350R and then various miata. Somewhere in there probably also fits a BMW M2 and even a mini.

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    +1 to Boxerman. Excellent post.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There are members of this forum who do track their 918/P1 regularly though and they enjoy it. I hear what you're saying I just thinking as long as you allow for a cool down lap every few laps they very enjoyable.

16. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL! I think we would all assume it is fake!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is a big improvement over the standard version visually.

What I like is they are not going the ways of others with turbos, battery powered hybrid stuff that breaks, and covering up the engine so you can't see it.

And, it has innovative aero but it doesn't damage the styling or make it look like a Hot Wheels.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Excellent work by Lamborghini. The ALA system is genius.

21. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    This is glorious! I wonder what kind of flak Misha and BTG will get from this incident.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lambo is def showing that cars don't need more than 600 hp to be amazing on track. The stability and traction is the reason this car put up such an incredible lap time.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I know what you mean but it does have more than 600 hp though. 650ish I think

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Close enough man lol. Point is you don't need 900 or some crazy amount.