Huracan LP640 Performante | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Huracan LP640 Performante

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Speed Demon 1, Oct 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    remember how crazy it was when amg had 600 hp and 700 tq? that was maybe less than 10 yrs ago. now 600 is considered restrained. progress, I guess

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

You had me at Exige ❤️
    How's your V6 Exige running? I'd love to see it's time around the Nurburgring, or better yet the 311!

Boxer, I know you and I are die hard Lotus drivers...that's what got me so interested in the Perfomante - it's power to weight demonstration at the Ring.
    I've never been a fan of huge HP on track and always liked momentum cars...Elise, Spec Racer Ford, etc. These days cars have too much HP to control on the track. Heck, I'd have trouble using 7-8/10's of the CGT on track.
    But the Perfomante may be the perfect recipe for a high HP, light car, with suspension, aero and tires to really turn some fast lap times. Super excited to take it on track!

Sent from my 16M

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I would like to see a comparison of performante and viper extreme. So many similarities with hp, weight, aero. Yes lambo is awd and dct but theyre still basically american vs European solutions to same question.

4. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Fairly coincidental that the 2 men who have the most doubt about the Huracan's time are also the 2 men with most interest in holding said record.

I'm sorry, I think there's more than just skepticism on their part.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #180 boxerman, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Its winter so the exige has been parked since Nov. Did 800 miles on track sept oct last year, the first 500 were running in the motor. So far 6 secs per lap quicker than the elise. Next month we will sort the suspension alignment.

On your high too hp not being great on track I can say that the lowly 360hp in the exige is just too much in 2nd and 3rd gear as in you really have to make sure you dont overcook any short straights. Brakes are epic and I can brake far later than in the elise from a much higher speed. So its a function of getting my skills up to the level of the car and recalibrating the brain.

For us non professionals, yes you can be faster in a faster car, but are you able to drive the car anyhwere near what it can do. There is always going to be faster car on track like radical rxc, so for us its about fun and skills development, often doing far more with less than someone else has. To put this in eprspective, the exige can hunt down a z06 vette in 5 laps and while a new Gt3 Rs should blow it away, those out there so far have not. When compared to a 250K(spent) fully tracked suspesnion, stripped 2700lbs winged, cambered, braked etc 400hp pure track cayman the difference is going to be the driver.

Unlike many others I dont think the Miata is always the answer. They are great fun cars, and its true that someone truly fast in a miata is probably driving at a higher skill level, the best are the fastest miata drivers. But we all also love a great motor and all types of other bits, and even though straights take little skill, its fun having a really powerful tuneful motor unleashing down straights too.

Pure track cars(radical, stripped BMWs etc) tend to be crude dont sound great and need lots of fiddling. Many of us like a reasonable reliable turn key car with great motor exellent handling that asks for not too much more than fluids and pads for a season. Yes such a car may be x seconds slower than a race/track car, but ill remind everyone that Nicki Lauda only set a sub 8min nurbering lap in a ferrari F1 car in the 70's so speed is subjective too.

The performante seems to tick a lot of boxes. Its got the styling, the great sounding motor so many things that make italian and german cars great. NA throttle resposnes and sounds, plently of latin charisma, being a german VW/audi/porche at its roots its probably reliable and reasonably economic to run on track needing only consumables here and there for a season. If a car needs to go to the shop, or eats rotors and needs all types of bits, thats your time from work and a big expense.

Apart from that, what lambo is doing is getting away from the tyrany of more Hp which is then reined back by electronics to be useable. The performante seems designed a more complete package of weight, deployable power, traction, aero etc hence its laptime. I am willing to bet the Lambo wont win a 0-60 contest or a 1/4 mile contest or post the headline Hp number, and since so many sales seem to be numbers driven holding the nurbering laptime crown will make it a sales champ for the numbers crowd. The rest of us get what appears to be one fantastic car, a car going imo in the right direction of superlative chassis engine etc as opposed to just more weight hp and frankly gimick.

Maybe it will suceed and sell a lot of regular hurcans too, that can be a wakeup to the other manufactuers. If lotus's lack of sucess as a company proves anything its that in the sales stakes superlative driving machines is a too small niche, you also need headline numbers. Looks like the performante has cracked both. As a bonus you dont need to deal with ferraris bad attitude towards "regular" customers.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Probably. There is always hidden agenda.

But can you imagine how impossible it would be to set up a factory street car ring race? Which companies bring mechanics vs just car? Which car is a cheater? Tires? Ecu? Gas? Who drives? So much arguing, no time to race.

would need to weigh and dyno cars. Then do accel, braking, skid pad tests prior. Then test gas and tires. Then maybe put cars on track for 30 min to see who goes furthest. Never going to happen

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Or you could just individualy test cars at the same track for 10 laps. The cars woudl ahve to drive to the rack, you could run and street/track pad, and the test could use R compounds for one set of laps and slicks for another. You dont need accel, dyno,1/4 mile or anythign else, just 10 sustained laps, with laptime at lap 5 lap 10 and average.

You might also do 4 sets of 10 laps with a comment about how the car was doing at the end of the day.

You could also use a pro driver for 2 sets of tests per car, rs and slicks, and and a decent driver for the same two sets of tests in each car.. The pro might get better results from one car and the decent driver better results from another. Some cars migth not survive the day otehr may well still be in full fettle.

To me thats a relevant test for anyone who tracks.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Relevant yes but results will be disputed by claims of cheating so need weight, dyno, testing to prove cars are legit. And will never get testing on slicks since manufactures always state their street cars are not safe on race tires due to increased stress, etc

Despite all that, youre correct that there is no reason media cant change their current hot lap test to include an average of 10 laps

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im thinking there might be a new screen name on fchat pretty soon! performante ticks off all the boxes - na engine, (relative) light weight, innovative tech, emotional driving experience. trade in the lotus along with the tow vehicle and youre done. ithica verde would be really nice. go for it

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Yes go for it! I did

Sent from my 16M

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awesomeness!
    and probably don't have to jump through hoops to get one like with Ferrari either

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its been a journey for me, working with a car that is both street and track, you eventualy end up with something thast does not fully satisfy either.

Currently I am really happy with the lotus, just getting used to it and upping my game to its potential. Maybe another 2-3 summers till I am there, or at least in the orbit of the cars potential. yes a great driver will always be faster than me, but good to get into the hunt at least. When I feel I can drive the exige somewhere near its max, then its time for the next car, probably a SIN with a LS7. Check out sin cars, doing pretty well in GT4.

In other words the days my having a street car to run on track are sort of past, which is different to a street based turnkey reliable track configured car(exige Viper ACR extreme etc).. Street useable cars are too me now too much compromise in alignment, suspension, tyre and brakes, and often also too much car for the street(in USA) . The caveat to track optimized street legal/useable being if you are driving to the track.

Personaly I like loading up everything on the truck the night before, in the morning I am ready to go, all comfortable in the truck. I like being able to bring wheels and tires(fresh slicks, cycled slicks, wets) spare pads, a jack, fluids, air, fuel, tools, shade etc.

Then after a long hot day in a noisy hard car its really nice just sitting in what is essential an air conditioned living room couch, listening to sat radio and driving home with minimal effort. If anything I would get an enclosed trailer next. Yeah its all a lot more comitment, and you have to park the truck and trailer somewhere, but if youre hitting the track more than few days per year it starts to make real sense.

But yeah the performante does seem to tick all the boxes and you dont have to deal with ferrari. Personally if its a street based car, I am waiting for a GT4 RS because I think that car may be fun on road at all speeds, have an epic motor and be more than competant on track, but then lets hear how the performante goes, how much fun it is at semi sane speeds on street. Then maybe (MR Performante) has a nice ring to it..

Although budget unlimited its a singer porche for the road and a Sin GT4 with LS7 for the track plus a Chevron B16 for vintage, and the loti as sparring partners.

But if there had to be just 1 car right now, no question performante ticks all the boxes.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    your unlimited budget sure makes for a nice garage! all great picks

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So do I. Whether I believe the laptime or not, I really like this car, I think it looks great, sounds great, and whether it does the 7.08 or the 6.53, it's ****ing quick by any measuring stick.

15. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    No you won't. Call jack at lambo LI and he'll get your order in!

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

What did you settle on for this summer?

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    still with lotus. its just so cheap to track i cant give it up. still want 458 though. maybe in addition to elise just as a street car. i couldnt handle dct blowing up on track.

amazing how can just go into a lambo dealer and order one of these without having to bend over. that is more of a game changer than the aero to me. hope ferrari takes a lesson

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #194 boxerman, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Yep a lotus makes tremendous sense if you track for a whole host of reasons. They are also great on quiet backcountry roads. Elsewhere not so much.

458 is the first really great looking ferrari in along long time, and is sure to become a classic.

As to Ferrari gettign the message, between product and dealer games they still dotn get it.. As a result they opened up the whole market to Mclaren, Audi R8 and still never got a hint. Lambo and Mclaren are now serious and real competition. In their absence Ferrari would be able to sell their desired volume of 10K units, but due to their hubris they cant.

In the past Ferrari could claim to have the better product, now we can say they still have the better brand, to the extent thats relevant.

I could write a book on the ills of being a ferrari customer.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Look what lexus and infinity did to the german luxury brands in 90s. Germans took a while to catch on but now they all offer equally good customer relations. Maybe ferrari will eventually learn too. Are people still willing to buy a 4 seater they dont want just to get on list for 488?

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

**** all this Lotus talk has made me all nostalgic....miss my S260 final edition Exige and really miss my 211. I will definitely get another Lotus in my garage.
    You're right though, it doesn't make sense to have a hybrid track/street car. As you have it, a dedicated track car is best and that's what I did running LotusCup. I trailered all over (Laguna Seca and Spring Mountain my favorite tracks) and enjoyed it, but as I'm getting older, I'd probably do arrive and drive when I start racing again.

In regards to Ferrari, absolutely correct - no way I'd ever play their stupid game of buying useless cars to get in line. F that. Lambo is much easier to deal with and the Performante grabbed my attention real quick. I'd still like a 458S some day but will wait til they drop below MSRP (another stupid game). All future turbo F cars, I have absolutely no interest in.
    I'm holding on to the last NA cars that I can.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    As a part of brand discussion...
    Let's imagine (so it goes without further liabilities and etc.) there's a small German manufacturer, that's willing to release a fun to drive car. There are 2 engine options: 1000 hp N/A or 1400 hp TT (nothing laggy about it, due to displacement). Carbon tub and etc. is there, transmission is either 6-speed manual or Huracan/458-style DCT (Hoerbiger).
    Now, my point, if there's a chance to jump on a N/A train, it's better to do it now. 1000+ HP N/A thing is beyond dreams, however, in brute force a well designed TT engine will outrun it. So I thought about a prototype for Nordschleife a little like Zonda R to beat all competitors and then a car could be released to the market as something valuable (and desirable). Much like the same route worked for Huracan Performante... and I guess it worked really well. With all that and the time it had shown, I'm extremely worried (much in a good way) that it's gonna be a difficult task...
    The questions are: MSRP and customer relations. What would be desirable?
    That N/A engine alone in a small batch is close to Huracan P pricing, but to remind you, Zondas were $250-350K new in 2001.
    p.s. I don't have many places to ask for opinions, starting a new thread isn't worth the attention, not another dream.

22. Laust

Laust Rookie

Aug 23, 2011
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep lotus just does soemthing no other car does, its the low eight and a car designed by people who place a total emphasis and priority on the way it drives. The use of off the rack motors and low mass makes them comparatively economic for sustained track use.
    The price paid is in road comfort refinement etc.

It reminds me of my old wilder motorcycling days. I got a honda VFR 800 which dissapointed, while it was somewhat comfortable riding to the canyons, and capable in the canyons it just didnt have the edge. I would have been better off and more entertained on a fireblade, even if the ride to the canyon would have been somewhat less comfortable. So it is with cars that are used for pure weekend driving recreation.

No doubt if youre driving to the track the performante is the car that ticks all the boxes for an adhoc track session and probably epic on sunday open road run.

I also agree about the 458S, its the only modern ferrari that interests me, however I'll bet that after your performante it may be a little bit of a letdown to drive. I say this because the speciale has been described as not that different on road to a regular 458 and I found the 458 meh, like a vfr 800. Still its the last of the last, and the 458 is dino/miura classic styling.

As for a new ferrari, well they wanted to sell me a 458 new 3 years back, with a 6 month wait whic was fine, but it was meh to drive. The one I would have bought they wouldnt sell the speciale. Well you could buy one over list with 2k miles from one of the favored flipper clients, no thanks.

Thats Ferraris way, you gotta buy the ladies handbag for men car before you can be considered groveling enough to be considered for the good one and even then, not this time. Hence few serious drivers buy ferraris and that partialy explains the dearth of them on track. Plus if you work for your money, odds are you have a sense of dignity, being treated like crap for the honor of paying 300k just does not work for me.

I guess ferrari is like the IN resteraunt, the one where you cant get a reservation, and then when someone takes you the food is assembly line indifferently cooked, but everyone just seems so honoured to be there that they think its great. But you know what, the In place sooner or later becomes out and the crowd moves on. Lots of branded fashion companies are discovering this to their chagrin. If you cant retain a core clientale who buys your product on what it is, not what it represents, , you loose.

Fortunatly in NYC there are any number of superlative places to eat that respect customers. So it is with ferraris competitors these days. But hey as any number of peopel here will post ferrari is yugely sucessful so what do I know, well I know Sergio would love to sell 10k cars, but he cant.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Well there is already the new pagani hureya and the bugatti. Serious drivers imo dont go for 1000hp because we know its not useable and brings tremendous drawbacks. That means the customer for a 1000 hp car is looking for more hp than anyone else and a lot of luxury refinement and detail. Koningsegg anyone.

That being said Saleen sold a few S7s and Hnessey sold a few of his 1000hp lotus eliges, so there is a less refined performance hypercar market if youre lookign to sell not more than a few.

Still considder that there are those who way prefer the Zonda with its lighness over the Huraya, and the Maclren F1 is considered the best greatest modern car built. Somehting along the lines of these two for under 500k seems to offer at least a USP.

Seems to be working for ford witht he new GT..

Nurbering is also but one measure of a cars performance.