What happens when you arrive at factory in your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What happens when you arrive at factory in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Skiday, Mar 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    #1 Skiday, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip to Italy in our F355 in October, which will include passing through Modena/Maranello. What, if anything, happens if you rock up at the factory in your Ferrari? Do you just get to see the factory gates, or do you get any kind of VIP treatment with a quick tour, or do you have to pre-book a regular tour like anyone else (if they do tours for the public at all that is)? Should contact them in advance? - Basically, what's the deal, if any?

Also, I understand that the Italians treat Ferrari owners well as they worship the cars, but do they also attract unwanted attention? Is theft of such cars a problem there? My car is LHD, so it is perhaps more tempting than if it were RHD, which is a worry. My car has a 'Tracker' fitted, but I'm not paying the (steep) subscription as I live on the Isle of Wight, but I'll probably re-subscribe. I could take my RHD Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, but when going to Italy it would be a crime not to take the Fezza surely?

Thanks

Andrew

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    When we went there on the Mondial Euro Tour 2016, they let us park the Mondials inside the gates in front of the factory.
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Definitely book your tour in advance.

Do you know your closest Factory dealer?
    They are the ones to do it....

Have a great journey...

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do a search for "factory tour", there are several very informative threads on this subject.

5. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    They take it in on trade.

:)

6. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPk3oRdUV4&t=154s

Go to 1:22 of the video above, and thats exactly what happened when harry Metcalfe arrived (in a Ferrari) at the Factory to collect a brand new 599 SA Aperta, i.e. they said "park here on the other side of the barrier (in a good way)

7. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    No tours for the public. Owners only! I think you need to be at least 16 as well (so if you have kids, you'll need to leave them behind).

I did the tour 4 or 5 years ago. From what I recall (it may have changed), you have to jump through a few hoops (register on owner website and prove ownership of <any> Ferrari) and then you book the tour through your nearest dealer. It's very much worth it though! Just don't leave any of this to the last minute...get out in front of it.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    As Douglas360 says.
    You can often book through the owners club too. I booked mine several years ago through Maranellos Egham.

Never been in my Ferrari

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    You need to book factory tour in advance.

No problem with theft whatsoever, Emilia Romagna is safe. The only thing I would avoid, if you go to Bologna, is to park in the streets near "social centres" or places where there is a high concentration of college communists. ;-D

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    He didn't just turn up out the blue, completely unannounced as the OP is suggesting doing though did he? - He was on an arranged visit to pick up a brand new car from the factory, so naturally they let him inside the factory gates.

No disrespect to the OP, but I suspect that if you're Joe Bloggs ordinary member of the public, who's only claim to fame is owning a 20+ year old standard production Ferrari, and you rock up to the Ferrari factory out the blue saying: "I'm a Ferrari owner so can I come in and have a tour of the plant?", they're going to politely inform you that if you haven't got a pre-booked tour they can't let you in.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    100% agree. Ferrari barely care about their high dollar customers ...

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If I did it in Bellissima they would tell me to please move the old POS before we have it towed.. it's blocking the pedestrian walkway. :)

13. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    In the current socioeconomic climate, to "most" Italians the man behind the wheel of a Ferrari is presumed a tax-avoiding crook. So no.

A couple years ago, a friend's Testarossa had its window smashed in and was looted sitting in the parking lot at Planet, which is just adjacent to the factory gate.

Do not go to Italy in a Ferrari expecting exemptions or priviliges!

14. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    The deal is you're not "Jimmy Page" so it doesn't rock for everyone else like you think it might.

The beginning of your 2nd paragraph reads like, "I understand Italians worship Ferrari owners"

Wear some Reeboks in case you have to walk home.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The reality is, when it suits Ferrari they quite happily acknowledge all Ferrari owners, both the rich and the "less rich", especially when they're having a special celebration, but that's mainly because they have too - Not many rich owners own models such as the 308 GT4, the Mondial, and the 348 to name but a few.

Day to day, the owners of the modern, older cars Ferraris are of little interest to Ferrari because as a company, they don't really make any money from them. Think about it, how many 308/328/Mondial/400/348/355/360 owners use the official Ferrari dealerships for servicing and repairs?

How many of those models do Ferrari sell through their dealerships?

The thing with owning an older, modern Ferrari is that it makes you exactly that: A Ferrari owner.

What it doesn't make you, is a Ferrari customer, and for 99.9% of the time, the only people Ferrari really care about are Ferrari customers!

(And they don't always show their customers as much respect as you might think!)

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Andrew, I just had this experience and it was great. I don't know about your dealership, but mine treats me great even though I have a modest Ferrari that was not purchased from them of course. Try to establish some sort of relationship with your local dealership. My dealership has frequent owner events (i.e. Ferrari Challenge -- that require track inspection if you plan to take your car on the track) - other things like oil changes allow you to create a 'relationship' without breaking the bank.

It also goes a long way to just be a nice guy* and treat the service manager with respect and gratitude.

Once I've done this, it was just a matter of calling up the dealership and letting them know when I would be in Marenello - and they took care of the rest!

*As for "fedcoin" - don't mind him - I've already outed him as a troll

It's actually a bit cringe worthy - how pathetic do you have to be to plagiarize a research paper totally unrelated to the topic at hand to make yourself look smarter?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he has legitimate mental health concerns. Hopefully he's just a teenager in his mom's basement, God knows I've done my share of stupid things when I had a face full of pimples.

17. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just arranged a tour or June. Went to the dealer in Greensboro (Foreign Cars Italia). Once I explained to the receptionist why I was there the marketing manager filled out a form and sent it Ferrari. Within two days I received a confirmation. I did present the title to my 94 348 Spider as proof of ownership. Couldn't have been smoother.

18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    The factory tour is great and they will let you park your car in front of the old factory entrance, but there are only 3 places there, so it is possible that at this exact moment they can be full.

I suggest staying at the Maranello Residence hotel - it i s great value for money and you will have a view to the factory from your room.

Also - if you plan to buy something from the Ferrrari Store, wait until the end of the tour, because they will give you a 20% discount for the store.

19. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Now that's funny.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Again, the OP isn't talking about a pre-planned, Dealer arranged factory visit -They're talking about being in Italy, in their Ferrari, and just turning up at the factory saying: "Hi!, I own a Ferrari - Can I come in and have a look around the factory?"

The likes of Nick Mason, Gordon Ramsay, Jay Kay etc., etc., etc., might be able to do it, but I would say "Joe Bloggs average guy" turning up unannounced at the factory in an F355 is going to be politely turned away.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The factory tour is a scheduled event at the factory. They assign tour guilds to each group, so it is not that casual. My guild had only one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Good advice is to pre-schedule the event ahead of time!

22. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Been to the plant several times and done the factory tour thingie, the first time I went to the factory I had a rental some VW and when finally found the entrance saw a truck getting inside the plant so I followed it and parked inside and went to ask about my tour to the office by the entrance ... they were not so amused and told me only authorized people are supposed to park inside and asked me to park it outside. ;-)

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Exactly!

So if the OP turns up at the factory in their F355 without a scheduled tour arranged (as was posted initially), the fact that they are driving a Ferrari will make no difference, they will be politely turned away.

24. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It is a working factory and they expect you to sit down and shut up and follow their directions. My tour guide did not seem to care that I am a good customer and was rude.