Official Countach Value Thread | Page 208 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    What's wrong with being an OCD weirdo? I learned long ago that I just have to accept my OCD-ness. My friends know about it as well and they know that if they want to go for a ride in my cars, they have to accept that baggage as part of the whole thing.

By they way, if you use your whole hand and make sure to spread the pressure out evenly when you close the door, and use a little momentum, I am not sure how you get the dent. Like you said, however, there is a better way to close it.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Takes all kinds. Although. I find the Countach very difficult to enjoy unless i scale back in the ocd departement

3. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Small world. Wich is good in this case.

4. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #5179 Jalpa_Mike, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Screen grab from Auction America's webpage with the Ft. Lauderdale results for Lamborghini.

8 cars up for grabs, only 3 sold.

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Do you know what the no sales got to? Mostly interested in the countach and jalpa

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5181 joe sackey, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I understand where you are coming from, doors are a point of frequent damage on Countachs, most especially by passengers.

Rather than trying to talk my passengers into closing the door correctly, I just do it myself. I stand there at the passenger door and make them feel special by showing them the correct way to get into the car (to save them hurting themselves or the car), pull forward the seat-belt for them when they are settled in, and then I close the door myself. I give them the Royal Treatment, make them feel comfortable. Then I walk around to the driver’s side and I get in. When we get where we are going, I ask my passenger to leave the door open, and I come round and close it. That’s pretty much always been the routine for me.

I am very protective of any Countach in my possession, and IMHO it should only come off as based on pride of ownership, not OCD. I have seen people unfamiliar with a Countach close the door so hard the glass shattered, and I have seen someone inexperienced with a Countach shut the door down in not exactly a vertical plane, tweaking the hinges and causing damage to the lock & pin!

FWIW, this image below is how I close the outside of a Countach door, I use the lower horizontal plane of the leading edge of the NACA duct, fingers only.

Is a Countach door worth saving from dents or damage? I think so.

Should a Countach owner care if someone thinks they are OCD? I don’t think so. Unless of course one thinks it is cooler to be blasé about preventable damage to your Countach!

Be safe out there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Funny, reg the close the door ritual, i do exactly the same thing , incl with my wife and daughter, the Naca duct trick, is great,never thought about it, but will give it a try.

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    1991 Diablo High Bid of $147,500 -
    1999 Diablo Roadster High Bid of $235,000 - 18,000 miles
    1988 Jalpa $85,000 -
    1988 Countach $270,000 -
    1991 Diablo $90,000 -

Honestly? Considering a buyer would have had to pay an additional 8-10% fee... After seeing the conditions of the cars in person, the sellers should have been happy with these numbers!!!

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Using your numbers, the Countach's end-user/collector numbers would be:

$270,000 hammer + 21,600 - 27,000 fees + 250,000 restoration = $541,600 - 547,000 all-in for a car that looks aesthetically pleasing and can be used & enjoyed for years if not generations to come.

10. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    I agree. 85 at auction is a strong number for the Jalpa and that Countach has some pretty odd things going on with it for them to not take something that only barely missed the always high house estimate.

11. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Unless you figure Joes math, wich gives you a "new" fulie in very desirable and rear original color combo. Lots of money. But the way cars in the low mid 200s are snapped up. At some point the resto route might be the norm

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Countach is not a cheap car to own, run, & especially to maintain properly.

I predict that many will be restored as needed to get them to be what they can be, and this will happen when the phenomena of a 'rising tide raises all boats' makes any Countach worth properly restoring.

Admittedly, we are not at that point yet with some variants, however, the nice thing is some good opportunities exist in these times, IMHO.

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agreed. Add the fact the "youngest" Countach is almost 30 years old, its no longer an IF ,reg a restoration,but When.

14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The white 88 Countach was purchased by a restoration company.

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nice to see the Diablo Roadster market remain pretty stable with a '97 for $211k and a '99 get a $235k bid....seller should have taken that for an 18k mile car in a meh color.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It could use one, and, not a week goes by without me hearing of another potential or new Countach restoration.

17. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Looks like Joe cried to the moderators (as usual) and had my response from last night deleted.

Here is the thread whereby there was concrete evidence that Joe Sackey is an out and out liar:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/491337-lamborghinis-not-auction.html

His actions are deplorable and his insult to myself, stating that people should not deal with me a few pages back is beyond amusing considering his erroneous past. He has been outed and it's as simple as that. I have owned and do own numerous cars and in all my years of buying exotics have never dealt with someone as backhanded and conniving as Joe Sackey.

Moderators - please do not delete this comment as it is only fair that people are able to know who and what they are dealing with. Buyer beware.

18. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Man this is exhausting....

Joes handled a sale for us, and it was the easiest dealings I have had with anyone in the car business bar none. Buyer reached out after and was happy Joes description was spot on.

Joe tried to steer you to a better car thats all. To say buyer beware when the cars he deals with are at the top of the spectrum is ludicrous. You didnt buy a car through Joe so why say buyer beware? All that happened was you didn't like his advice and bought a car you didnt end up keeping....

Can we move on please!

19. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    As they say in Germany...very very interesting..

20. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I am sure there are numerous people that are happy with Joes service just as are with mine. I do believe the outcome of this incident would have been completely differnt had it not involved JOE and MYSELF in the same transaction.

21. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Had Joe not involved me by directly insulting me I wouldn't have opened this back up. This is his own doing and extremely childish.

As to your other comments, i will not bother to rehash what is there to be read within the thread linked above.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5197 joe sackey, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
    Hey Josh, you are full of crap and you know it, this time, I'm available to show people who you are, your thread has zero value or effect, and there is a reason your useless contribution was locked. You deserve to be insulted, just as you have insulted over & over. My comments are not childish, they are the truth, something you seem to have difficulty with.

23. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Absolutely no questions at all about this.

But having just conceded that, do you think its appropriate to go one with this? It seems like this situation was just a series of unfortunate events as you elude to.

Neither party did anything wrong, the only thing wrong was publicly airing out a grievance that had no consequence to the interested party. He made a decision based on the information he was given and followed through, next case.

The power lies in purchasers ultimate knowledge, in which case the threads Joes started in this public setting become invaluable. Weather you think they are skewing values is an entirely different subject ultimately left for the consumers to decide.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    For anyone who is interested in the accurate side of the story, here it is:

In early 2015, my UK-based client Andrew D contacted me and asked if I would help out a guy called Josh K. Bear in mind that Andrew and his wife Gillie are dear to my wife and I and when we are in the UK we visit them at home. So Andrew is not simply another client. I have applied Andrew some very special clients including a Ferrari 288 GTO and a very special Countach LP500S. FWIW, Andrew, is a gentleman, the latter expression one which would have no relevance upon Josh.

Per Andrew’s introduction, I exchanged some emails with Josh who let me know that he was looking for a Countach. He did not specify what variant as he appeared to not know what they were. The only proviso he gave me was that it had to be “black or white”. I made it clear that I operated by Private Treaty arena and could source multiple comparable cars.

FWIW, its well-established for years that I operate as a consultant giving advice, so my job is to to recommend against or for certain variants and individual cars, in favor of what I think is in my client’s long-term best interests. Since I operate as a consultant, my job is to steer potential clients towards cars that I feel will best meet their needs as they describe them to me, including steering them away from a car I think is not right for them. I also try to put them into cars with potential future upside. That’s exactly what I did, (nothing more or less), have continued to do, and will always do. As is well-known, I am not afraid to talk about a car’s shortcomings. The latter is exactly why people hire me! Fast-forward, its worth mentioning that Josh’s malicious thread had zero impact on the way I continue to do business, or, present & future client’s perception of me - anyone with intelligence can see that it is based on malice. If I were presented with the same set of circumstances today, I’d give the same advice, and always will.

Moving on with the story, within a week I had Josh know that I had 2 carburetted cars available, a white LP500S and a black Downdraft. I received an immediate response from Josh that he had already found a black car for sale.

On Apr 27, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Josh himself wrote: …”It appears to be a driver that needs approximately $100k to bring it into concourse condition.” This email proves that I didn’t talk the car down when I agreed with him about the car’s condition, because, he was the first to offer this description!

I stated that it was a fuel-injected Countach and sought to describe a difference between it and a carburetted Countach. Anyone who thinks this statement-of-fact attempting to educate a client on the differences is somehow disparaging the car is delusional at best.

Furthermore, I didn’t talk the car down when I stated that it was modified from its original USA spec, I simply sought to educate, based on fact and full disclosure, exactly what any astute buyer would want.

This brings us to the main contention of how I supposedly wronged Josh. He claims in the FChat thread that I disparaged the car without even inspecting it. The truth is, I NEVER claimed to have personally inspected the vehicle, what I said was that a third party had inspected the vehicle and shared their thoughts with me. The Mon Apr 27, 2015 at 7:04 PM, e-mail to Josh which proves this went: "... a colleague saw the car and had the opportunity to look it over, it was not a formal inspection with a report or anything like that. He described it exactly as you have: a driver." This email alone proves that Josh is a bald-faced liar with a bitter agenda, and his entire premise is based own nothing more than misguided malice.

Josh, you should be ashamed of yourself whenever you are amongst your peers, because as far as sports car owners are concerned, you belong in the Hall of Fame as the lowest of the low.

I’m used to dealing with haters like Josh, Ive successfully dealt with them all my life, all a hater does is provide fuel for success for positive people, and provide publicity for them, so, its business as usual. Although he seeks to elevate himself as someone with integrity, he has none, he’s just a wannabe pretending to be someone who can indulge in Countach ownership. There is no comparison between us. I’ve owned Countachs for 30 years, Josh owned his for 3 months. Josh is a little man, and I don’t mean figuratively, one look at the Dodge with a huge wing that he allegedly owns and you know he is desperately compensating in more than one way. In life there are winners and losers, I’m blessed, fortunate and humbled to work with many winners, I’m proud to say Josh is not one of them.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5200 joe sackey, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
    FWIW I did not cry to the moderators, they saw fit to delete your rubbish.

The only one who has been crying since 2015 is you, and you are still crying, because, you no longer have a Countach.

You are the saddest (former) owner of a Countach I have ever known, and I have known many in 30 years!

I urge anyone who has any business dealings with Josh in Los Angeles or in the UK to be very careful indeed, he is a bald-faced liar with malicious intent.