Official Countach Value Thread | Page 211 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I thought Lamborghini got out of the old car parts business & sold (or got rid of) everything. If that's true, then they are buying parts from the same sources that everyone else is.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    To me,beeing a part of the process,is essential, i would not even consider restoring my car,unless i could be involved in the process, i have engineered,buildt ,designed, almost my entire life, some less expensive and complicated than the Countach, some far more expensive and complicated. Beeing time would be an issue, Joes way of partial involvement, is probably the path i would choose. The factory resto would only be an option ,if buy,retore,flip, move on,with no emotional connections where the reason.

3. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    We covered this last week. Sold to California. Ac to Supercarguru.

4. Doh! Still catching up. Nice buy.

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Available again.

6. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    did the sale not go thru?or for sale from the new guy?

7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I was in contact with leo as late as Sunday and was still available

So who knows

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gone again. Full ask.

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
  10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  12. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    I disagree with your 10% deduction for U.S. bumpers. Those ugly bumpers are usually the first thing that is modified on a U.S. Countach. The fact that they are still on the car after 30 years speaks to its level of originality. If a buyer did ultimately want them removed it would cost far less than $30k to convert to euro look bumpers. I think factory original low mile cars in excellent condition will bring top dollar going forward so I don't understand why anyone would consider a car worth less because it maintains its original equipment as it left the factory.

13. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    I can see it going both ways. If someone took the bumpers off and botched the car or put the replica front bumper on, then I might think twice. It might be nicer to start off fresh.

However seeing that someone put original factory equipment on the car may speak to the fact that they were willing to spend a little on it.

To a future owner it means that they can enjoy the car right away without the expense of changing the parts themselves. The euro bumpers certainly don't justify a car in poor condition, but it's a nice bonus IMO.

- Also, aren't new old stock bumpers getting a little hard to come by?

14. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I will agree on this, converted my car 11 years ago with nos,euro bumper, rear lights,quite extensive,inkl filling of rear fender holes, did not do the side marker lights,wich really makes a difference,but also require a much more extensive paint job.

15. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And if you were to show the car at an event w/marque-alert judges, you'd likely want to retain the as-delivered bumpers?

16. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    I fully repainted my car at the time. The doors came off, new caulking, etc. Really should have changed the side markers. Next time around I MIGHT be tempted to delete them all together!

Although it would be less "correct", neither car was designed with the intention of side markers. The European marker looks much better, but like the US marker it was also a requirement of the law. Most cars now come with the US marker standard regardless of the market. I think it just looks so good with nothing at all.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If done properly to full Tipo Eu/ROW specification I believe it would actually cost more than $30,000 to carry the work out, considering that doing it properly would mean mean work to the front, rear and sides.

IMO removing the side-markers makes all the difference in the world, and speaks to completeness of the conversion. Remember, we are talking about a sleek car with all kinds of angles and trapezoidal lines, so the side-markers really affect the overall look, and not in a positive way. They stick out like a sore thumb. A lot of people have come to detest these unnecessary features, and I must confess, I sold both my 25ths and all 3 of my F40s after a year or two partially because I just could no longer look at those side-markers.

Rare as Hen's Teeth, meanwhile there are some poorly-molded replicas out there which have what can only be described as terrible fitment.

That makes sense, but, I don't think you're going to win any Concours classes with a Countach sporting USA DOT bumpers, perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my thought.

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    That would be a no for me also. Unless the car was head and shoulders above the others in condition.

19. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Understood.

I'd advise either leave the car with bumpers or do it 100% Tipo Eu/ROW and avoid this "look" business, too many cars around that have been half-converted.

21. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  22. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I would rather loose the judging if needed, than spend a second looking at those DOT bumpers!!!!

23. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No kidding.

24. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name: