Very Strange Race Track Expereince | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Very Strange Race Track Expereince

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by gw32, May 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    pure guess but would imagine the pads are original. question is were they ever bedded, but if you drove more than a session on track they likely are; the other thing to check is for glazing but that's a visual check.

there ARE more aggressive track pads, I'm unsure which most folks prefer....Challenge spec pads are very aggressive, which also means your rotors will wear faster.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    What you describe is when the systems work *properly*. What happened to the OP is not normal, and the hypothesis is that they malfunctioned. Since these systems *could* possibly 1) apply rear braking; and/or 2) apply locking to the e-diff, the hypothesis is that a malfunction in either or both systems *could* possibly cause what happened. That's all. Just a hypothesis. It will be interesting to see what if anything is found by tech inspection that actually is wrong.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a number of threads on pads in the 430 section if you search. I run Pagid RSC's and am happy with them. I think Pagid might have additional options now as well.

On the issue - assuming it was the car and not you (I have no idea)...one thing that comes to mind is the e-diff overheating. I've never run my car in sport at the track, but have heard that the e-diff can overheat if you do so and are aggressive on throttle coming out of turns. The codes should be stored as others have mentioned, so hopefully you get it figured out.

Good luck!

4. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the info on pads, I will probably try Pagid's.
    Picking the car up this morning. I'll get a debrief then. Sounds like they found a faulty sensor but they don't know if that was the cause. I'll post more later today.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    There are inexpensive loggers that record wheels speeds, and with the comparison between them, longitudinal g and brake pressure, you can gauge braking efficiency. And see what went wrong...

6. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Running like that you should at least have the car in track

7. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    Have you heard anything definitive (or even speculative from the shop?

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Tonight I was just looking at an awesome scud and thinking how great it would be as next track/street toy. But then I read this how op doesn't want to track it after only 1 day. Fear of damage, break down, etc might also be too much for me to enjoy it the way I want to. Sticking with what I have for now

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a good thing you didn't get hurt.

I think I would find some way to bypass the ABS system, or install a completely different set of brakes, and a manual bias adjustment. The simpler the system, the less likely for something to go wrong.

10. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The shop I took it to last week could not find anything wrong so I took it to a Ferrari dealer and got a report back yesterday afternoon that one of the front brake calipers was making an unusually creaking sound. They said this is very suspicious and recommended taking the caliper off the car, inspecting and doing a bench bleed. This will be done on Monday.

The first shop tech suggested it could be a problem with the manatino selector but didn't know how to go about inspecting/diagnosing the manatino.

I've talk to several people that track Ferrari's at Sonoma and everyone says there is no reason why the car would spin were it did while in sport mode other than some sort of car problem. I really hope they find something as I don't know what I'll do if they don't.

11. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Did you ever resolve the cause of this mystery?