May Repaint my '95 F355 | FerrariChat

May Repaint my '95 F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So, we'll see how the year goes. I would like this to be the year I get my Blue Ferrari finally to gonin the new garage. It just may take a repaint to get it.

Who knows, I might not do that to myself and opt to sell the yellow and find a blue one but my car is so sorted out that I'm not sure it makes sense to sell it and start over, sorting out another unknown car...

But if I do decide to go bare metal with a blue exterior, I'd like opinions from the group on my black interior. Does black interior work with all blue color exteriors? I know beige, crema, or Cuoio would be a great fit but let's talk if black might work just fine... beige intetiorsxalwaysxseem to feel a bit dirty or worn to me. Crema is beautiful but I worry about colors rubbing off on crema like from blue jeans, etc.

It seems like all blue cars with a darker interior have dark blu scuro interior that I have seen. I'm not really big on blue interior leather. The blue spiders have black tops and that looks sharp - (and some have blue tops). Did Ferrari allow black interiors in blue cars or push everyone to blue scuro, gray, tan, or Blu medio? The cars seem to look best with a contrasting lighter vs darker color combo.

So Azurro California or Grigio Alloy would look best with a darker interior. Tdf blue, pozzi or Blu LeMans would look best with beige or crema.

But I've also decided that I need a darker color for the AZ sun since it is so bright, lighter colors can get washed out. So while I love Azurro California, I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much in the AZ sun. I'd also prefer a metallic paint. So I think that leaves:

Blu Swaters
    Blu NART
    Tdf Blu
    Blu Chiaro
    Blu Le Mans
    Pozzi is dark but not metallic

I'm not as keen on blues with purple hues so tdf and LeMans might not make the cut.

I could even go historic blues or new blues of Today's Ferrari models like Blu Abu Dhabi or some other.

Thoughts on color combos with my black interior. For it to look best, if I go with one of the darker colors, would you suggest a leather color swap as well or is black good to go?

For example, what blues would look good with black interior and whichbones would not. We spec black on black donim not sure why it wouldn't look good with a blue car. But like men's suits, the rule seems to be always Brown shoes and belt...

Color comments please especially on combinations that are stellar. I know it only matters on what I like but I would love feedback on what others think works really well.

Let's just focus on the color combos and not debate the color change. :D

Robb

2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #2 Robb, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    you forgot blu sera. Or is that not metallic?

sjd

4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #4 Robb, May 19, 2017
    Great Azurro California exterior with dark blue or black interior.

But thinking the lighter color will get washed out in AZ. Notice this photo is not in full sun....

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think blue sera is not metallic. One of the best colors though.

Robb

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I think this is a pretty good idea. You know your car and at this age, what are the chances you find another in the color you want that still has perfect paint that doesn't need any work?

IMO black would not look out of place at all. Would I prefer crema? With blue yes, but wouldn't say it's necessary.

I had a car with a white interior and you do get dye transfer from clothes but a little cleaner and a microfiber and it comes right off.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #7 Robb, May 19, 2017
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    tdf all the way!

9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Good thoughts.

So plenty to talk about here. If you think the lighter blues will be ok in full sun, I'm open to it, but I am having that issue now with the yellow.

Other option is to wait a few more years and import... :D

Robb

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #10 Robb, May 19, 2017
  11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm in general not a huge fan of all black interiors - IMO, they lack contrast.

I also think dark exteriors look better with lighter interiors.

Regardless - if you plain a bare metal respray and a full interior change, and don't plan to do any of the work yourself, you are looking at a $50K + investment....

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #12 Robb, May 19, 2017
    Blue Swaters over charcoal interior although not in the sun...

I like the exterior color as it is fairly neutral without going too purple or green, and it is a slightly darker blue.

Seems like the darker interior doesn't pop as much. Would it be better with tan?

Robb

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #13 Robb, May 19, 2017
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  15. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Have you received any quotes for a re-paint yet? I've been trying to find someone to paint my '67 vette for months now and the quotes have been $25-30k+ to do it right. I'm guessing more for the Ferrari. Doesn't seem to make sense financially...not that we're in this hobby for that reason.

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'll agree that black carpets and another color leather is a great combo with black wheel and black top dash.

Good points. Would like to find the perfect car without going through the effort but may wish to just get it right all the way around. Braden's threads are amazing with the results and amount of hours...

Robb

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I am coming up on a major service this year so it may make sense to do this at the same time. There are some great shops in Scottsdale that do cars for pebble beach. They have quoted me 25k. There may be ways to work out a win win...

And if the disassemble / assembly is done by me and my mechanic, the costs also go down.

But think of this exercise in best Color combo's for AZ and do light blues work and does black interior work... :)

Robb

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Robb - the amount of stuff to take apart is insane - you will need that new garage for sure and that's not for cars - it will be for parts :)

Plan on a new windshield (at a minimum - new trim).

I still have not decided who will paint my 95....

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I have an Azurro California with a blue interior. The interior is not overly dark and there are crema highlights (door panels and centre console) to make it lighter. I guess the paint does look a little washed out, but perhaps more so in photos. Having said that, everyone seems to comment on how good the car looks in that colour.

Cheers

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Sounds nice Ian,

Let's see some photos!

Robb

21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I get that sense from looking at the Bradan threads. When are you planning to paint your '95?

Robb

22. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    #22 John M, May 19, 2017
    I would go with a lighter blue to keep your black interior color. I think the Azzurro Cal would look good with a black interior. And if that is the color you like best, even with the AZ sun, that is the way I would go.

My favorite blue hue is Azzurro that is on my 308. It is a metallic, darker than the Az.Ca., and came with either blue or tan interior. TdF as you noted has that purple hue that you notice in the garage, but looks nice and deep blue in full sunlight.

Example shots of both colors....

23. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Yellow is my favorite color on a 355 but the Nart Blue and Blue Chiaro look absolutely lovey. I think they are light enough to work with your black interior. Beige, crema, or Cuoio interior would look perfect but black would look good too (in my newbie experience).

Is it an option to buy a beater to restore and keep your yellow 355?

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #24 SoCal1, May 19, 2017
  25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A) When I stop working so much and get my life back so I can take the rest of the car apart

B) When I find a shop I'm comfortable with.

We will be adding a new, custom paint booth this year but the type of design we are doing won't allow for a full car spray and I also don't have the room in my shop or an area to contain the prep work dust so as much as I'd love to paint it myself, that's not in the cards now.