I Miss my 360 3 pedal - What is the replacement? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I Miss my 360 3 pedal - What is the replacement?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lencap, May 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's my wife, BTW. She likes practical gifts like appliances. My second son too. A few Christmases ago he wanted an electric pencil sharpener.

I like toys. :D

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #27 DGS, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Before twisting yourself in knots over three pedals, consider the better paddles.

The early F1 boxes were like a bear on a bicycle: it's not how well he rides, it's that he does it at all. :p

But the newer twin clutch boxes are pretty good.

I had serious qualms about giving up the third pedal, but rheumatoid arthritis had me wanting to hedge my bets.
    In my case, it's the right knee, but my ankle can still heel & toe the 328.
    But for my DD, having the option to left foot brake buffered against the future.
    So, with huge trepidation, I got an EVO X MR with the Getrag twin clutch --- the baby brother of the box in a Cali or 456.
    This was my first "two pedal" car since '73.

But I'm not finding the twin clutch to be a "disappointment". I still do my own shifting. There are just fewer steps involved.

Not all TCs are programmed equal. The same Getrag from the 456 is used in a Merc -- but tuned less on edge.
    (I saw an article online, a while back, exploring why the same box in a Merc seemed "worse".)

That said, you might want to consider a Ferrari California spider. Twin clutch, tiny rear seat, and a Ferrari badge.

If you don't need the folding top and want a cheaper option, there's the Alfa Giulia QF. But that may be just a better M3. ;)
    The Alfa has a paddle operated slush box, rather than a twin clutch, but it's reportedly a very good paddle box, and *may* be more reliable.
    (There's been a mad rush to TC boxes, resulting in some newer ones with "teething" issues.)

As for the low seats, I do find that a folding cane can be handy for climbing out of the 328. ;)
    But then, with the top on, getting out of the 328 was always a bit like rolling out onto the ground and then doing push-ups. :p

3. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Get a Maserati GranTurismo. Italian, sounds great, looks great, real back seats you can sit in unlike 911 or AM, soft or hard top, good prices on late models.

4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    996 Turbo, or Cayman GT4 if you can manage 2 seats.

5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Ferrari Mondial T - Valeo ;)

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  7. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    My perspective on these three comes from ownership/ personal experience.

The E39 M5 is probably my favorite of all the cars I've owned. Pretty fast, sounds phenomenal with mild exhaust modification and you can toss it around with traction control off like a sports car. Also vault-like and plenty of room for 4-5 people. You can pick up a nice one for around $25-30k. Repairs expensive but an order of magnitude lower than ferrari running cost.

F355 is a mid-engine screamer, probably a little more analog than your 360, but I've never driven a 360. Nice spiders can be had in the 60k range. Some people like the F1s but the sticks are readily available. I have had mine in for a major for the past few months and I seriously miss the top-down driving with associated sounds and i really miss the shifting, which brings me to the......

612. I've had this beast since october and it's great. I have four young kids and use the back seats all the time. Two average sized adults can sit one behind the other in comfort. The car is almost too fast in a straight line and remarkably nimble. Also, it sounds awesome (mine is 2009 OTO, earlier non-HGTC models were very quiet), and the interior is really rich and smells like a tannery. This car is pretty refined but it likes to play when asked. Sticks are prohibitively expensive so u shoiuld probably stick with '05/'06 if u want to spend $80-$90k or 2009-10 OTO, if you want more features, faster shifting and a bit more power. These are in the $135-$165 range.

Good luck hunting!!

Vic

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    lencap, life is too short. Don't compromise one bit unless you quite frankly can't afford it.

I went to a funeral last weekend for my nurses sister. She was 33 and died of a stroke!

You know what you want. You know where you want to be and it sounds like you want it be a Ferrari or you wouldn't be here. There's a stick 360 that's got a ton of miles with an ask of $45k on fleabay. That could be your final option if you want. Buy it and drive it forever.
    Don't do the Aston. They british POS. Every idiot I know are buying them for $3x,xxx. They're going to depreciate to $2x,xxx like the DB7. They're essentially Jags. Lead anchors. You're going to see a Ferrari on the road and wonder why you didn't buy it. Test the 612, test drive the 430.. and make the call.

Life is too short to compromise my friend. :)

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Don't think there is any difference in power. Mine is an 07 HGTC - cruising on freeway I actually wouldn't mind being able to close the exhaust valves... open at 3000 RPM....

10. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Jes,

Thats funny...I actually do not have the HGT2 exhaust, so i pulled and plugged the vacuum line hoses so that I could hear it while cruising and during downshifts. Its a bit tamer than the sport exhaust.

The power rating is the same for both generations, 540 hp, but some have suggested that the later F133H models may have a bit more power. No clue if it is true.

Love your scag by the way. Probably my favorite spec...silverstone over cuoio.

Vic

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Too funny... :) Though, the 612 OTO definitely preferred over the 2005-2007. Mid/late 2007 preferred over the 2005-early 2007 due to upgraded Nav/entertainment. The valves are done smarter on the 430 Scuderia (and probably later models) as they open as a function of throttle position and not just RPM...

12. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I very much appreciate these replies - very useful information and suggestions.

On the way back from a meeting today I just happened to stop at the Ferrari dealer 15 minutes before closing time. They had a very well priced and serviced 2005 F430 F1, under 20K miles, nicely equipped. I read the ad on their site, and was surprised that the car was MUCH nicer than I expected, especially at the price (under $110K). Red/tan as well.

I decided, as has been suggested, that at this stage of my life time is more important than money, and I was ready to buy the F430 from the dealer, only to find that it had sold 90 minutes earlier. I was pretty disappointed, and then I realized - if I was disappointed by NOT having a Ferrari, then maybe HAVING a Ferrari would be the answer to "What's Next?".

So reading more of your posts the suggestions to consider a 612/F430/California seems very reasonable. The problem is comparing them since they're not easily found, and taking Ferraris for test rides isn't all that easy. But, at least that seems like a good place to start.

In terms of pricing I thought that a dealer serviced reasonable mileage 2005 F430 under $110K was a good deal, especially red/tan nicely equipped. Is it hard to find similar cars at that price? FML has the API closer to $135K or so.

On a relative basis, if the F430 is $120K or so, what should I expect for a similar condition 612 or California in today's market? I'd prefer to buy from an authorized dealer, or high quality independent. I'd consider a private sale, but I'm not sure how complete the PPI would be if the independent didn't have access to a Ferrari computer to measure clutch wear, etc.

I also appreciate everyone's help in getting my priority clear and avoiding a rather high probability of severe "buyers remorse" if I brought home a "Pony" car that was the wrong Pony, or buying into a car that had Lucas electronics in it's family tree (it feels good to have my old Ferrari Mojo back).

I'd welcome your thoughts about future depreciation/upkeep costs among these cars. I'm not too concerned about either, but I'd like to know the nuances between 2005-6 F430 versus 2008-9 in terms of upkeep and problems, as well as the same info for the 612 and California. Personal experience is much appreciated, as is the info you've already provided.

I remember years ago when a FCA member graciously gave me a "hot lap" in his car at VIR. I expected the heavy 12 cylinder to be a bit of a "dog" on the track - how wrong I was. It clearly didn't handle like a mid engine V8, but the torque had me laughing out loud. I'd imagine the 612 is similar, but I have no direct experience with that car or the California. The internet is filled with opinions on these cars, but there is nothing more valuable to me than direct owner experience, as well as that from those of you with other first hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to more constructive ideas/feedback/suggestions.

PS: I'm struggling with the choice of smaller/nimble/sport focused (F430) versus GT (612), or something in-between (California). Any comparisons and/or observations are welcome. I also appreciate the fine comments about F1 versus manual, especially the newer F1 versions.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Note that most good independents do have the Ferrari computer and can do the exact same thing the dealer can in terms of reading wear of clutch (on F1 cars) etc.

14. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Lencap, the thread title begins "I miss my 360 3-pedal....". I think the first point in your decision tree might be whether or not it need be replaced with a 3 pedal car. The ferrari options significantly narrow if the answer is yes. Or is the priority that it must be from maranello? That would be A possible way to focus your search quickly.

I find it so much fun hunting for cars that even a complete stranger's pursuit brings me joy. I wish you luck!!

15. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I've been doing a lot of research, and I need a bit more advice before I'm ready to make a decision.

In today's marketplace, with lots of performance oriented cars, does it still make sense to consider cars like the F430 or the 612, when you can purchase cars that have full new car warranties, and are far less likely to provide an unexpected financial surprise?

For example, the last three F430s I looked at each had ongoing issues with the exhaust headers - even in cars where the original had been replaced - were approaching the time for new catalytic converters - that most owners don't replace and move to flow through exhausts. I realize why they made the switch, but frankly the markedly louder exhaust isn't very enjoyable over a three hour ride.

I'm not too concerned with depreciation, but I am worried about continued repairs, especially as the car's electronics continue to age. Many F430s are now 10+ years old, and I'm concerned about how to service these cars 10 years from now. If I do decide to rejoin the Ferrari family, whatever car I buy will be my last - I don't expect it to be service free, but if parts aren't readily available in the future, or if repairs are constant that will take a lot of the joy out of ownership.

Thoughts?

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If it's sound you're looking, you can't beat a F360 with a Tubi. But, you probably already know that.

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Lencap, you indicated age and arthritis issues. My wife had an SL and I hated it because I found it impossible to get in and out of due to arthritis in my hips. The Cali, 430 and other Ferrari V8s will all have similar issues because of the low slung chassis. I have a 612 and I have no such issues. It is amazing what a difference a couple of inches of height will make when you are old and decrepit. 😀

Based on all of your other comments, the 612 seems to tick your boxes.

On the cost of ownership, the 612 is a "modern" Ferrari and so maintenance costs seem to be relatively low. I have owned my 612 for 2 years and have had no issues.

Another way to look at it is, a car under warranty is likely to hugely depreciate. On the 612 you don't have that issue (I think it is near bottom in terms of depreciation) and so you can put some of the money you are saving on depreciation towards maintenance. The key is to do your homework and buy well in terms of both condition and price.

I can tell you the 612 is a great daily driver and the big V12 ticks the old school boxes (and thanks to Taz I plugged the vacuum lines on the exhaust and the V12 sounds even better!).

18. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    2009-ish 911 turbo
    California