McLaren 720s up close in person | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren 720s up close in person

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by tobewiser, Jul 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    720S seems a fantastic car. I would prefer one over a Ferrari any day. This is a car that has reached the apogee of car design for me. When I was a kid, the mantra was "more power!" and that is no longer the case. This car has enough. The handling is superb too. I guess the advancements from here for me are reliability and cost. The rest is ne plus ultra!!

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

So true

Sent from my 16M

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why not just put an electric motor in it then if it means so little to you? That battery pack gets the CG soooooooo low!

Super cars are about EMOTION. It's about something that makes you excited to be around and admire but inside and out.

Mac aficionados sometimes sound like geeks I knew in high school when they talked about computers -- justifying what's great about something that means nothing to no one but themselves.

"The Commodore 64 has 64 Kilobytes of RAM and 20 Kilobytes of ROM! Awesome!"

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Hey Bob.
    I liked my 650 because it didn't have the "hand of Sweater" that saved me. My Speciale figured out my talent >credit and let me run, but the Mac just waited for me to drive it. Hard. Some of us discussed in other thread, and I don't care how they do it, just let me use it.
    720 has seemingly fixed the few issues I had but worked thru- tail wiggle with airbrake at hi speeds, undertired feeling at turn in, some interior stuff.
    The weight is the key. Hundreds of pounds less than Huracan, Speciale, 488.
    I don't look at motors anymore. I listen. I hate drone, and I'm not 17, so drones and glass packs are stupid on a nice car. No quicker way to piss people off either, and sport exhaust fine.
    Intake noise better than exhaust anyway.
    Door channels trick, airflow quite direct. I'd guess some speed/accel is due to less drag.
    488 ruined the 458. The Speciale is epic. Ferrari is seriously outgunned. Thank god for the KaliSL, and a sport ute.
    I want brutal car, not a lifestyle trinket.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

5. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Looks like a 10 year old Zonda. Super cars are now getting to the design point where they are into jelly-mould design. Nothing graceful at all. Only my opinion......others may disagree. BUT, Thank goodness we are allowed an opinion !

6. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza

Emotions are for 17 year old female teens...

7. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly how I feel! Luxury model with Sandstone interior is my planned 50th birthday present to myself next year. Interior is further enhanced by the matte rather than gloss carbon fiber.

This is probably the video you referenced.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W5BJCrlaj4[/ame]

8. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    #33 tobewiser, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Geeks are entitled to theirs too, don't they? Just the mere fact that supercars can generate emotions, positive or negative, their designs have succeeded. At this level of purchase, one only needs to justify to no one but him/herself. Does mockery of others' preferences that are different from those of our own indeed show anymore 'maturity', emotional or otherwise?

I learned to program BASIC on a Sinclair 1000 (before the Commodore 64, which I also once owned) 33 years ago. It was awesome! So was its contemporary, a Ferrari Testarossa, a Mapplethorpe portrait, or the Porsche 911. I recalled a comment by John Cage, an American music composer, in a graduate school composition seminar on the advent of computer in music at that time..."subjectivity is the basis of greatness but never the yardstick to measure..." I surmise both Cage, Enzo, B. McLaren, or F. Porsche have had to endure a great deal of criticisms on their work from those who have achieved, or dare to achieve, much less.

Pluralism is a wonderful thing; otherwise, there would only be red/beige sports cars to drive.

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That's the one.....I don't think there would be a single car enthusiast that would disagree!
    It is just stunning in that combination!
    Gtjoey720s

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #35 TheMayor, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Thank you Mr. Spock. Live long and prosper.

Note to spourreza: No one NEEDS a car like this. You have to WANT it. If there is no emotional attachment you might as well keep your Apple stock and watch the market each day where your only excitement is having the Money Honey tell you it went up half a point today.

You want a really fast car? Put in an electric motor and forget this "lump" the poor McLaren is saddled with. Problem solved! And, you should be happy because McLaren can still pump in fake engine sounds through the speakers.

That is, if you don't mind adding 3.2 pounds to the weight.

11. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My favorite exterior is Glacier White with contrasting carbon fiber. But the 3 carbon fiber packages plus diffuser, rear aero bridge and rear deck come to $36k which is a lot to spend on a cosmetic upgrade, and it won't enhance resale value to any significant degree. Unfortunately I have enough OCD that carbon fiber is basically all or nothing for me.

The car in that video, which I think is Saros, is my second favorite exterior. It actually has some exterior carbon fiber too, but it doesn't really stand out from the grey paint... I'd definitely opt for the standard dark palladium trim with that paint color.

12. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That's just what I did, my first drive will be New York to pebble beach next year
    All in about 7,000 miles in two weeks
    By going with the paint it saved over 20 grand or so

13. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Just gotta say... as an old Amiga geek and electronic music fan, I love the fact that Commodore and John Cage have both been referenced in this thread. Computer brands and music genres, like cars, all have their passionate supporters and detractors. What I can't wrap my head around is how someone who doesn't like a certain type of car, music, or computer can't understand or accept the fact that other people might feel differently. Speak for yourself about McLaren not having "emotion," but don't claim that as if it were a fact that everyone agrees with. I certainly don't feel that way.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #39 noone1, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I forgot that only the Mayor's emotions matter and nerds/geeks/engineers/scientists aren't allowed to be exited over different things.

On the list of emotional, exciting things in the world, driving a Ferrari is probably 100,081 or something like that.

As for the Ferrari engine bay, why should I or many others give a **** about looking at some barely visible plastic? I don't think you can even see the engine in a Ferrari unless you make an effort to, like leaning over it, and I can't imagine why I'd ever look at it other than to see if something is wrong. Th engine is visible in my McLaren and I never look at it. Hell, under sunlight I don't think you could even see it without popping the hatch simply due to glare and reflections.

Assuming you've actively already made the effort to lean over and look at it, here's what it looks like more often than not:

So exciting to see some washed out, barely visible crap while trying to avoid leaning on and scratching your car, right?

http://4-photos.motorcar.com/used-2016-ferrari-488_gtb-2drcoupe-12494-15785060-38-640.jpg

https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/uploads/businessinsider/2017/02/ferrari1.jpg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As usual Mr. Noone1 proves my point.

Thank you.

While the Mac Geeks can marvel that their brake rotors weigh 17 grams less, Ferrari owners get to open up their engine hoods and go "Wow.. now that's cool".

16. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Just to add a perspective or two...

Freud has written about how the arts (or more directly beauty) can communicate directly with our subconsciousness, and therefore has the ability to bypass social, cultural, and other 'filters' in our minds. The arts (or beauty) also has the ability to generate a great deal of empathy - akin to reasons why we like certain things but not others. Of course, being Freud, he is also implying the human mating choices as well. When one devotes his/her emotion to something (someone) so strongly that all others become a 'threat' or 'challenge' to such a devotion, hence the necessary rejection. That's a major reason why modern music and fine art are often rejected with denouncement - as they are threats to popular, but often uneducated , definitions of beauty. The new 720s headlight design is a very good example which is to many is probably as 'ugly' as Picasso's "Old Woman", 1901.

Counterpoints: up until several years ago, the 'geeks' (engineers, mechanics, etc., including the venerable Mr. Ferrari himself) believed that in order to make the most beautiful cars, not just the best mechanical version of them (as in the case of Porsche, e.g.), they had to call on the beauticians, i.e,. Pininferina for design. The rest of course is history. So, all the geeks in Ferrari understand beauty, and the emotions that it can conjure or invoke, and had the innate wisdom that such task was beyond their expertise. This is the kind of educated open-mindedness that make Ferrari the most recognizable automotive brand in the world.

Underneath the skin-deep beauty, a Ferrari, McLaren, or lamborghini, etc., is after all just a pile of well organized geeky contraptions of metal, pipes, bolts, and leather. Some of course admire the Robinsonian (as in Heath Robinson, a British sculptor) heap of mechanical wonders while others never need to look beyond their sensual skin with equal wide-eye admiration. After all, it's the engine geeks in Ferrari that are responsible for the 488's engine of the year award, while Centro Stile is busy cutting holes into the original 458 body.

Supercars are mechanical art. Freud seems to be right, again!

17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Another neat feature is the stalk on the left side of the column.
    When you hit it , it brings up the front end for steep driveways.
    Just well thought out.
    GTJOEY1314

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #43 Sfumato, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Actually all 4 corners come up. Not as fast as my GT3RS but quicker than my Huracan. 650 675 a bit slower than 720, part of air improvements.

Expedited air should get mine here in next couple weeks. Logistics isn't McLaren NA strong suit, and their PR dept shenanigans screwed with my delivery. 40 years buying this stuff, not hard to have friends in Woking. Fun to watch squeeze on morons.

Vid isn't Saros. Saros on right.
    Other thread has lots of info, prob worth read.
    [​IMG]

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

19. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Test drove it on Wednesday. It makes my 12C feel slow. Only criticisms are that the A/C seemed a little weak and there is no safety lock on the hood(bonnet).

Joe

20. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Joey, Your in when the spider comes out......
    On the A/C you had to hit the button and adjust max on the screen, Simon didn't know where it was.
    I was in 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity in my suit and it was fine.
    As for the trunk lock, you don't wack guys in this car, that's why they still make cadillacs
    Ha....

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Safety lock on the hood?

22. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    If you unlock the hood there is no second lock to keep it from opening. I thought it was a requirement.

Joe

23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I couldn't sleep all night on that one too
    But then realized I'm under 100 years old and threw caution into the wind;)
    Gtjoey720s living in danger

24. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Not much under one hundred.

Joe

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Saw the car today, lava red (or whatever Mclaren calls it). It's so striking in person. The details really stand out. Driving position is excellent. I love the tech. The eye socket headlights really work a lot better in person. 0-124 in 7.8 seconds, amazing.