CARSFORSALE.COM What's going on? | FerrariChat

CARSFORSALE.COM What's going on?

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Okay what's the deal. A scam? Mining for e-mail addresses? All 6 cars are linked to speedwaytowin.com

There are six 360's advertised at bargain basement prices on carsforsale.com. Phone rings as "busy signal" No VINs listed. All cars have varying locations shown around the US.

Got to be bogus, but why do this?

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Carsforsale.com is a legitimate site, but almost every site has scammers that post BS ads.

Edit: I looked, some of those cars I've seen the pictures before, might even belong to members here. There is no $25k 360 unless it's totaled...even then, that's pretty cheap.

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Definitely. NOBODY would sell these cars that cheap. That's just silly. I wish I could find the blue Modena 360 with gray interior. I'd be on it even if it was an F1 and $12K more!

Just looked again. Now the blue Modena has black interior. Last time same photo, same price, said gray interior. too funny...

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    TOTALL LEGIT... not! :) I messaged one of the sellers. Looking to see if I get the "I'm out of town in Bahrain on deployment and just need you to send it escrow to... blah blah.."
    Let's see what turns out..

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'm sure the cars are "made up" but like you, I just don't get the angle. Unless of course it's like you say... Do they really think this will work?

I haven't met too many folks with the means to shop a Ferrari to be considered that gullible.

I thought about sending an e-mail but resisted. Don't want to send my e-mail address out like that to someone who is obviously "pulling something".

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    "Yes, we still available the car. We except deposit and will save car you."

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And there it is. Kiss that deposit goodbye. Car never materializes. Got it now.

I'm hoping the quote you gave is exact. Sure unveils the culprits as not too fluent in the English language. No surprises there.

I suppose someone may fall for it. Maybe.

Good work Matt.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I asked for a pic of the front trunk. I expect some BS. I used an email account that I have for scammer testing. :)

I'm so going to ask if I can western union the cash to them... "What? You didn't get it?"

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    you da man...

10. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    I just looked at the site, it appears that all cars which have 'today' as a listing are pretty much bots and scams...

There are some real cars interspersed with the fakes which have been listed for a looong time (2-3+ weeks)

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    as a cautionary tale:
    I have subscribed to AutoWeek for over 30 years. About 4 years ago an ad appeared in the classifieds: MB 1955 Gullwing car. Needed a windshield and is was in rough shape. Still the price was $15,000 and there was a picture. So I thought, I'll bite it's AutoWeek after all. Contacted the owner via the e-mail provided. Car had a long story about her father collected cars, died, blah, blah, blah. So I pushed for paperwork citing I could not send a deposit without proof the car had paperwork and actually existed. Here's were it got interesting. "She" sends and e-mail and attaches the Title of Ownership in full color and looks all the world to be the real thing-- proper seals and all. I had asked her prior to this if the car was a steel car or aluminum car. She said aluminum-- and low and behold the "paperwork" showed the ID # to be and aluminum car. I should tell you this car was somewhere overseas in a very depressed area of the world. I cannot remember the exact place. My attorney found out for me.

"She" offered to help set up the flight, a hotel and even sent me a reservation form with photos and the website of the hotel. I was not going for this in a million years. But thought I would play it out. So I did a simple search on "her" name and e-mail address. Turns out this scam was played out numerous times and I got a hit from someone in the Aston Martin Club advising that the car this person was advertising (this was about 3 years prior) was his car and the photo "she" stole and downloaded was when HE bought the car years ago. He promptly let everyone know his car was not for sale and that this "lady" was a scammer. Interestingly she always seemed to research the rarest of the rare cars to claim to have for sale i.e. not a steel 300SL but and aluminum model.

All this trouble and she never changes her e-mail address, again, go figure.

I contacted AutoWeek and they pulled the ad after their own search while I was on the phone with them. I still remember the lady on the other end saying to me: "okay, I'm on the Aston Martin website, OH MY! Thank you!

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    DanNE: I have been actively searching the same sites literally daily. I have gotten to recognize the cars that have been listed for reasonable market prices and most have been listed for some time as you stated-- but they are legit. Then the past few weeks these cars have popped up. Silly prices and no real information on them.

It's a good website, but with that said there are always scammers looking to mess things up.
    I just couldn't see the angle. But now that Matt has uncovered the "send the deposit to hold the car" line, I think we see now what's going on. See my above post.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not a direct quote but I used to mess with the people that put this crap up. Theyll do or say anything to get you to send them any amount of money. I used to deal in recording studio equipment and the same crap exists. They usually end up cussing at you after a while.

14. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    #14 Mikael-F360, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haha! Had a really good laugh going through this site carsforsale.com.

Totally bogus. But hey, how about that "Scud" or a 2005 360? See picture!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I actually stumbled across the speedwaytowin web site yesterday. It appears the seller of these Ferrari's has like 11 pages of bogus Ferrari's for sale. I have been kinda looking around for about 2 months and tracking prices and looking at different cars. I actually looked at a couple of Ferrari's last week in Vegas and rented one for 24 hours and test drove a couple of others to see which one I liked best. So now in in the market searching for a California (the wife has more input then I do) and came across a 2012 on this site for 55k. I knew immediately it was BS then saw all the other cars really low prices and noticed the phone number is the same on virtually all of the ads.

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I know right? Also check out the descriptions of these cars. Written like someone who hasn't a clue what they're selling.

With that said, I'm sure the eternal optimists have the phone ringing off the hook! SMH