Mid engine corvette renderings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mid engine corvette renderings

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheMayor, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racer959

racer959 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    NJ
    I would be on line next to you.

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I think if it's anywhere near the first sketches we have a winner. When you guys get a load of how little it costs to operate and maintain a corvette along with its blistering performance...

You'll consider what I do which is use my corvette as my daily driver. Purchased new I have 107k miles in this car and it not only still looks brand new...it's pretty much add gasoline, change the oil and tires and enjoy driving...

I look forward to a 500 hp rear mid engine corvette....although I personally would prefer a dual clutch....I believe some a,erican enthusiasts seem to put great value on manual transmission sports cars..i.e. Porsche and Ferrari used car prices seem to reflect this,,,

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I daily drive my C7 Z06 with Z07 package and manual 7 speed...what a beast.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have just spent the past 3 weeks in Florida. For what are typical road conditions for much of America I can't think of a better exotic/sports car than a vette. Great ac endless tq on tap and way more than enough go. Plus in z06 form when you see one of these on the road it's going to take an aventador to out exotic it style wise.

And that's the current car.

The mid engines vette and rumored gt4rs sound to me like the two most exciting and interesting cars comming down the pipeline. Useable on road and track, priced so you can actually drive it a lot and hard. more than plenty performance to actually use.

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Funny, I'm heading to FL tomorrow for two weeks. My problem with the area I live, Vero Beach, is the roads are mostly straight lines. You don't have the nice windy roads you get in the northeast. I have toyed with an older British sports car, like an MGB or Triumph TR4A or TR6 to have a run to town, to the beach, ect. Just a cruiser during the winter months when AC is not absolutely necessary.

If a mid engined corvette does come out it could be the best thing to happen to folks like me - people who are starting to think about life after owning and maintaining an expensive exotic. However, a Porsche Cayman sounds good also.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't do ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep all those straight roads, a supercharged vette with unlimited brakes, great ac,, turn key maintanance, heell you could even go autobox.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Odds are 50/50 its ugly.

But then I an struggling to find a really beautiful ferrari since the 458, and that appears to be an anomoly as well, you pretty much have to go back to the 456/355 before it.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    550/575 didn't have a bad line to my eyes. Other than that I agree with you completely. Striking cars, yes. Beautiful, rarely.

10. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Agree 100%

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Looks are just the beginning of the concerns. When did Chevy ever produce a mid engine sports car. They're starting from scratch. No experience.

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Could this be retooling for the mid engined Vette?

Corvettes under assembly in Bowling Green, 2016. Photo by Sanford Myers, Courtesy of General Motors.

When GM’s Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant geared up for the switch from the C6 Corvette to the C7 Corvette in 2012, public tours of the factory were halted for a little over one year. After June 16, 2017, Corvette plant tours (now managed by the National Corvette Museum) will once again go on hiatus, this time for approximately 18 months as the facility begins the lengthy process of integrating a completely new paint shop and constructing a fresh tour route for visitors.

Each year, roughly 50,000 visitors from around the world tour the Bowling Green plant to watch Corvette models being pieced together. With the exception of blackout dates, three tours per day are generally offered, each taking about one hour and covering approximately one mile of walking. Those ordering a new Corvette can also watch the car being built before taking delivery at the nearby National Corvette Museum, and until recently, buyers of Corvette Z06 models could assist in the construction of its 650-horsepower supercharged LT4 V-8 as part of the Engine Build Experience.

In 2015, General Motors announced it would invest $439 million to modernize the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, home of the Chevrolet Corvette since its opening on June 1, 1981. A new paint shop is part of this most recent upgrade, and work on its construction began the same year, resulting in the occasional road closure or loss of parking at the plant, both just temporary inconveniences for visitors.

While both the Bowling Green Daily News and GM Authority report the duration of the upcoming closure as 18 months, the plant’s website is vague, saying only that, “We do not have additional details about when the tours will resume, but when more information is made available by the Assembly Plant it will be posted to our website and shared on social media.”

The Corvette Assembly Plant itself will be closed for three months as well, from August through October 2017, for maintenance work that can’t be performed while the production line is in operation. The shutdown will delay production of 2018 Corvettes ordered after June 12.

The R8C Museum Delivery program, minus the plant tour, will still be an available option during Bowling Green’s reconfiguration, but the Engine Build Experience has been suspended until further notice. For additional details, visit CorvetteMuseum.org.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've been to Bowling Green and walked the factory floor. There is no way they are "retooling" for the mid engine Vette at that plant.

First, they have plenty of C7 cars to make over the next 3 years until they come out with another replacement. The assembly line is geared specifically for C7 and C7 like "numbers". They can make about 30,000 C7's a year. NO WAY a $150k+ mid engine car can be sold in those numbers. At best they can sell maybe 4000-6000 a year and then drop off after that.

My guess is the new car won't even be built at Bowling Green. They will use a subcontractor like Ford does for the GT. The numbers are too small.

If I were to guess why they aren't doing factory tours its because production has to slow down. They have too many cars in inventory right now -- like 200 days worth.

I have to say, paint is the worst part of the Corvette. Mine was simply horrible. So, investing in new painting technology might finally bring the Vette's paint up to industry standards, which is a good thing.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Me to. The second rendering talks to me more than the first but both cars are very good.

My C7 Corvette was a world class drivers car car. Corvettes in my view are getting better with each model. I think All American cars have moved up.

They have always been reliable but now handle close to the best cars on the planet.

I just looked at and drove a 2017 Mustang R. A very impressive drivers car. The sound was to die for and it can be adjusted up or down. I am deciding if I want to buy it or not and what car to trade in?

Best

Lee

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree...I love what America is doing now with muscle/performance cars!
    I adore my C7 Z06/Z07.
    I love the new Shelby too.

My buds and I are leaving about 10 days for an 8 day drive from SW Florida to Branson, MO, likely put on 2500 miles...did I chose yhe 458 Spider...the Speciale...the 16M..yhe F12???? Nope...Z06 all the way!😀

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface

Buy it!

:)

Mark

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #42 WILLIAM H, May 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #43 darkkaangel, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just saw this photo being circulated claiming it is very close to what the new Mid Engine Corvette Zora will look like.
    The current front engine Z06 is below for comparison.
    Based on the mule spy shots I have seen of the mid engine corvette testing, this looks to be in line with those. Spy shot of the mid engine car testing below as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The photoshopped version isn't near correct.

Look at the distance between the door cutline and the rear axle centerline in the mule. Much longer in the disguised car. You need that extra distance to fit in the engine, the proportions of the photoshopped version are more like that of the Cayman, which has two fewer cylinders and is just that much shorter.

Also note that the rear overhang is longer, this is necessary because the gearbox is overhanging the rear axle (as it would be in a proper mid engine car). In the photoshopped rendition the rear overhang is essentially the same as the current front engine car that has the gearbox ahead of the rear axle. Obviously the rear overhang needs to be longer for the mid engine version.. Both of these change the basic proportions of the car..

I just don't see that the photoshopped version shown is going to even be close to reality.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This car will be amazing. Imagine if it packs around 700 hp and weighs in about 3500 pounds. It will run with a Ford GT all day and cost 1/3 the price (hopefully).

21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My comment was going to be that the body has been extended on the mule in both directions versus the rendering. I kind of like the rear proportions on the mule, but the front profile leaves a lot to be desired and is probably totally fake.

22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Anyone putting any stock into any of the "renderings" is kidding themselves. I will bet my life that none of them are even close to the final car. The yellow, photoshopped car is laughable.

As far as where it will be made, contrary to Mayor's thoughts, it will be made in Bowling Green. GM has invested over $800 MILLION in that plant in the last 18 months, including a 450,000 square foot "paint facility". I don't know much, but I'm pretty certain you don't DOUBLE the square footage of a plant for a new paint facility....

Jimmy

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    What ever it is, if it actually come to market after nearly fifty years of blabber and chatter I hope it looks better than the C7s which leave a lot to be desired.

24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Bringing back round tail lights would be a good start!

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

You and me both. The "Sting Ray" looks like a hooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk