Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    #326 randomlambo, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Same in differential and gearbox? The Rotra MP/S SAE90 appears to be 85W-90, so assuming a high quality 85W-90 will do? Also won't the 85W be too thick for cold operation?

2. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
    Random the manual just says both the same and sae 90 an oil of 85- 90 should not matter cause I would think they are hypiod so not effected by temporature like an engine oil which in a countach should be warmed up prior to excited driving , these old motors did have small oil galleries so flow when oil is cold is somewhat restricted from what I have read

3. jenso

jenso Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    #328 jenso, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good evening everybody. I have a rogue wire under the dash of my 1981 Lp400S2 and have no idea where it came off from or where it should go to. I couldn't find anything in the wiring plan either. Maybe any of you might be able to tell me. Here some pics of the rogue wire. It is near the steering column underneath the instrument panel. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks, Jens.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #329 Jalpa_Mike, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Jens,

Looking at the wiring schematic, it appears that the wire color "Purple with Black Stripe" is used for the horn.

It appears the earlier Countach's had 2 horns. One for the city and the dual trumpet air horns. The wiring schematic shows a purple w/black wire going to each one.

Does your horn operate?

Mike

5. jenso

jenso Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    Hi Mike, thanks for your swift reply. My horn operates (the one pressing the lever left of the steering column) - just don't know which one it is. The trumpet air horn or the city horn. It is bloody loud for sure! is there another way to operate the other horn?

6. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #331 Jalpa_Mike, Nov 11, 2016
    Not sure Jens. By the time the 5000QV came along, they only used 1 horn. The dual red trumpets hooked by air hose to the air compressor.

Not sure how this will show up on here, but here is a snap shot to of the wiring schematic of the early Countach.

Follow the "ZN" (Purple w/black stripe) wires and see if that helps.

Mike

7. jenso

jenso Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    mike thanks so much for your help. i found a wiring diagram on the net that seems to be more accurate than the LP400 one that came with my car that resembles the one you posted. I'm still not sure where the wire cam off from, since all the electrical sockets and plugs seem fine and there's none that is not without a connector. Strange.

8. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    My original thought looking at your photos (and seeing the amount of wiring sticking out of the wire in question) was that the wire had come loose from the connector. In otherwords, both purple w/blk wire could have shared the same connector, but the crimp did not hold and the wire came loose. Just a thought.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mike

9. jenso

jenso Rookie

Jan 10, 2007
    that exactly was my thought too. but i'm not sure...my hope was that someone with an early Lp400S2 could maybe take a photo of their connector... but my bet would be on exactly what you said: two wires sharing one connector and it came loose.

10. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Need one or two windshield wiper spray nozzles. Are these easily available from other sources than the Lamborghini factory?

11. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Anyone know the correct reference code for front trunk hood lift? Internet reference I found to Stabilus 082406 is incorrect, at least for my 1983 5000S.

Dimensions of the hood lift taken off the car (it's the original lift too) are 325mm total length (eyelet to eyelet), 125mm throw, 100N force. There is some give in the dimensions, + or - a few mm's.

13. Laust

Laust Rookie

Aug 23, 2011
    If all else fails, you can search "Liftsupportdepot" https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/all-products/?is_ajax=1&limit=50&ln_extended_length_a=22-23&p=3 which lists these things based on technical specifications and at a very good price.

14. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Laust.

When I called with specs they said they didn't have anything. I tried their technical specs as you suggested and it turns out they have some that might work dimensionally, except that the force rating is 190N instead of the 100N that the ones I have are (the ones I have is the original; the number reference on it ends in K10, which I assume means 10Kg of force, which is around 100N). I'm assuming that this discrepancy in the force rating is why they told me they didn't have a match. Maybe I'll order the 190N ones and see how they work out.

Finding which is the Stabilus number that the factory uses is turning out to be spectacularly difficult for something so seemingly simple.

16. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The original Stabilus part number was 371602 and was 0100N.

The current recommended Stabilus part number is 261181 which I *think* is a touch longer and 0150N.

-mick

17. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #342 Jalpa_Mike, Jul 24, 2017
    I thought I'd post this is the technical thread in case someone down the road tries to locate this part.

Thank goodness both mine still function properly, but I was curious as to the availability of the Aux. Air Valves for the FI 5000QV cars.

Here is the reply I just received from Bosch Classic in Germany.

Mike

18. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No biggie, all it does is supply add air to the engine during warm up,once the engine temp rises it closes the add air supply, no effect on normal operating, if fail,you might have a tiny bit harder to start, but this device can be fixed very inexpensivly an simple, by replacing the heating element,

19. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

20. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    #345 ElvisNasty, Jul 24, 2017
  21. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    That looks delicious!!!!!

Mike

22. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you.

23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Correct number is Stabilus 9761CT. It has 100N of force.

24. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Just a quick question: what kind of coolant is best foir the countach cooling system? I got green coolant so I assume propylene glycol like Prestone? Wouldn't HOAT like G05 be better?

25. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    It's not about the color, you have to use one which is suitable for an aluminium block. I used the coolant from VW for the diesel engines, it's good for 130degrees Celsius and fine to alu blocks, color is pink.