Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by roma1280, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    It doesn't seem that Munich is en route for this one unfortunately. What a beautful city.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #27 Caeruleus11, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    You are basically correct. I have these portable jump starters tucked away in each car just because you never know when you need a jump. I just check on them every few weeks just to make sure they are topped off and also aren't looking like something bad might happen (they should be fine but you never know!)

I would carry the one you have as a jump starter. And then something like this to power your electronics, it has 28000mAh

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VMN1M5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

As far as I know rain x is the best stuff for rain repellant- very insightful on the wipers.

What an adventure, I am jealous! (the good kind!)

Where do you find the BT tire pressure gauge? I might like that as well! I think it is a good thing to have. I like knowing my car's tire pressures. The only thing that comes to mind is those valve stem tire pressure readers likely will slightly throw off the balance on the wheel/tire assembly. Will it be noticeable on the TDF? I don't know, I also think it depends on the roads and even the driver- some people are sensitive to this and some are not. I am one who is sensitive and it annoys me to no end.

With that in mind- perhaps you already have this thought through- but when your car arrives in Europe I would suggest perform a basic service/ tech check/ alignment/ balance this way you don't have to wonder if anything got adjusted in transport.

I hope you will be able to share some pictures!!!

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes agree. Have some solutions to the headphones that I am trying. Will report back.

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma

Wow what super helpful comments thank you. I have re read your post a number of times.

Agree with thoughts on battery and tires, see posts above.

Agree with motorway comments too. Inevitably there will be motorway driving and yes staying safe the main priority, so plenty of distance and yes hopefully the route will have some fun roads. I have emailed the organizers and have asked about more specifics on route.

You are right about not cruising at 6,000 rpm so today I did a little test and in top gear the car does 50mph at 2,500 rpms and actually speedo was dead on (checked with gps speedo). So revs x2 = mph. Now cruising at 3,500 (70 mph) is very comfortable, cruising at 4,000 (80mph) still ok but starting to feel like upper end of comfortable cruising speed.

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Haha yes. There is "support" on route. But not sure what that means!

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    That sounds great Marcel thank you, I will look into that.

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you for the thoughts. I have asked the organizers about route and other participants. If this is truly just a motorway run with only modern cars then my (30,000 mile) F12 would be a much better car to do it in!

I hear you on the carb settings. How hard is that to do?

8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you for the comments. I thought about the Garmin actually but my cell phone carrier now offers an international package (which covers most countries in the world) where for a flat $10 a day you get exactly the same deal abroad as you do here which in my case is unlimited talk/text/data so I may just try using the phone. Last time I drove from Geneva to Modena the WAZE app worked fine.

Yes on handsfree, I have a suction cup phone holder and earphones.

That may be correct on headphones. Not sure what to do about that.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Woah that battery pack looks awesome. Will definitely wave one in. Never thought I'd be happy about having lots of mAh (whatever they are).

I found a USB to cigarette lighter adapter for the things that only run off the cigarette lighter.

Got the tire thing from here. Yours for $69.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZME9Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PhrDzb7GKVPHP

Yes good point about balance. Will weigh the caps when they come in.

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mark, if you're worried about protecting your hearing and headphones are a no-no because of the law, these earplugs are quite small and do a great job of attenuating frequencies while still allowing you to hear pretty much everything and have a conversation too. They are quite affordable and discrete. As a DJ with a few gigs a month, I use them a lot and they really help with the loud noise: Pacato Universal

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    That's a neat little speaker but I think the car might be too loud for it. I think earbuds may be better.

Can you repost the second link please?

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Great suggestion thank you.

14. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    One thing I forgot. Don't know the last time you unscrew your wheels with a hammer, but if you are not experienced, you will damage the spinner. More importantly you will never feel safe when remounting the wheel, whether it is properly tight or not. So while you keep the hammer for the pros and the concours, take the proper device for taking wire wheels out, just in case you need to take a wheel off.

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Excellent point!

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #41 roma1280, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Bluetooth tire monitors arrived. Sensors weigh 9 grams. Not sure if that is enough to throw off wheel balance.

Quite cool to see pressures change as the tires warmed up!

Ignore the huge battery pack, it was the only thing I had with a cigarette lighter attachment. Once the USB to cigarette lighter cable arrives I will try for a slightly more elegant solution!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #42 roma1280, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That will be epic!

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Mark... This is an epic thread in the making. I've a cranky back, and my Cali starts to make it crankier (more cranky?) after 2+ hours, so I'm particularly interested in this facet of your research!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, literally and figuratively.

T

20. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi Mark,

good luck on the trip !
    If you are planning to drive through Belgium, let me know; I can get you at a proper Ferrari support garage if needed :)

P.S. to think about:
    - when driving in France on motorway, have your credit card ready for the toll booths and queue in the line that reads 'CB', otherwise, you will spend lots of time behind the tourists paying cash... .

- make sure that whatever insurance papers you have for the car mention your license plate; in Europe, this is very important in case of accidents/police checks. (I read that you are getting some Italian plates...)

Cheers,
    Frank

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

All these gadgets are fun...but my God look at that car! Wow.

22. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    How about a Dynator and a solid state voltage regulator. Learnt this from experience !! At least that way if your engine is running you can almost guarantee the battery is charging.

If you need any help this side of the pond, happy to oblige or point you in the right direction.

Mark

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I'm surprised that no-one has suggested something like a pickle jar in case your bladder fills up at an inconvenient spot. Or wear diapers.

24. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I don't know what this is, can you please explain?

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    If anyone can post a link to a kielbasa jar please do so.