Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 952 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Joe, we know in factory trim,the Dd is quicker than the fi, there is several magazines out there, no need to do this again,we are all convinced, Why would you bring this up? Have all the rest of us missed this all along,? Extremely dissapointing suggestion, coming from you, after all the posting from the chatters on this site, the point of this discussion is setting a US fulie car back to euro exhast and loose the epa garb,i o w given the same opportunity as the row cars, thats it,

2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

He enjoys talking in circles. Then the conversation turns to whom he spoke to, who happens to remember a test they did, at a track that it never happened at, with a car that belonged to someone else.

You are also dealing with a guy who thinks the difference between a claimed 455hp and 470hp can mean the difference between going 180mph, and 195mph. This alone shows you that he he has absolutely zero knowledge of how much more power you would need to make to push a car with a .42 drag coefficient an additional 15mph.

The discussion has never been whether a full U.S. spec QV is faster than a DD. Its what happens once the F/I is set to the same emission-less configuration as the DD.. Even with emissions intact, the difference is minuscule , despite the DD weighing less.

3. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #23778 gday, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Let me suggest going back to a good question you asked referencing the parts book and regarding a 25th crank change a little while back - maybe from there we can back up to the previous cars.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142013112-post198.html

Combine your crank question with another recent question as to why USA 25ths have L VINs for MY90.

It appears that these two issues are related. The crank change occurred July 1989 (just prior to the start of the L VIN year) and was only for USA cars. Also note (from the same parts book) that the crank change also involved a new piston. So using the parts book as the reference I get:

Piston 001420828 was for L VIN'ed 25ths (engine compression 9.3:1)
    Piston 001420801 was for all K VIN'ed 25ths (ie including early 25th FI cars)

So to summarize, this implies that the only 25th cars with reduced compression were L VIN'ed USA cars with early FI 25ths having the higher compression. Or to put another way, engine compression ratio was not dictated by being DD or FI.

So what do you make of this?

-mick

PS And to complete the 25th story, also recall that gearing got shorter too with the later units.

4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    +1 years ago i was trying to convey the very thing .... you will be in minority here along with myself speaking blasphemy!

lots of weight factored into their reasoning... which dont amount to anything when it comes to topspeed if you have a road long enough.

have a laugh here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/163765-countach-ultimate-supercar-198.html

"The truth is incontrovertible" :)

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23780 joe sackey, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's the first time I've seen you admit this plainly, if you'd done so earlier we could have saved a lot of discussion, so, all is good :)

Allan, if only you had a Downdraft, boy would you be singing a different tune, oh man!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Now I'm utterly confused, I'm speaking of QVs and you're speaking of 25ths, meanwhile are you suggesting a conclusion based on an implication, itself based on the hope that the parts book is correct?

I enjoyed that trip down memory lane, especially Victor chiming in with this image!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    First time i Admittet a DD is quicker than a US spec stock FI, are you loosing your mind?the whole reason for this discussion is wether a fi would be as quick given the same unrestricted header style exhast,and the weight loss by remowing the US bumpers, poss the worst reply i have ever seen from you.

7. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Ok, you guys win. The FI is great, if heavily modified. Are you all going to make it now? The undertones of your counter arguments are not based on top speed discussions ect ect but justifications about the FI cars value to you. I look at it this way:

Those cars were designed by necessity, not a necessity by design as was the DD configuration, if that makes sense. Any collector sees this argument plain and simple.

Merits for both but the DD was the fastest car on the planet when new. It's the pinnacle of carb cars and one of the greatest supercars ever made. Also homologated for group b.....

8. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I wanted a DD so badly, dont you think I would of gotten one instead of my Carrera Gt? Im extremely well versed with all variants of the Countach. Ive experimented with my own cars with everything from headers , exhaust and cam specs, to replacing everything with EFI and distributor-less ignition.

You claimed you were going to put your car on a wheel dyno before .. Did you do it? We can compare the numbers to my lowly F/I.....

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

You've drank too much of Joes kool aid.

10. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    You seem to come on strong. 5 after 12. In these discussions?

11. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Imagine how fast it would be if Bosch in combo with non restricted exhaust ,was focused upon, one can only imagine.

12. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Never touched the stuff. DD since 97.

These convos are just straight up fun!!!

13. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    You were so close! We have a DD/CGT pair.

Im sure we can agree on all things CGT but that's another day.... I just hope you didn't put straight pipes on her.

14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Love my CGT!

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It would not be.

Correct on both counts, and noteworthy that the factory chose the Carburatori car for FIA Group B Homologation, over the Fuelie. The reason for carbs and not fuel-injection was explained to me in some detail and I'll publish this at some point soon. For now, let's just say it speaks for itself.

Like many people who purchased a Fuelie, you bought that variant simply because it was a good deal at the time - nothing wrong with that. The fact that you got a CGT later on instead of another Countach (Downdraft) offers nothing to prove you do not want a Downdraft, badly, especially now that the attributes of the Downdraft are being higlighted throughout the world. In fact, you've admitted you'd like a Downdraft yourself, and I'm 100% confident that when you purchased your Fuelie, if there was a Downdraft available at the same time for the same price you would absolutely have chosen the Downdraft, no question about that! Why am I so certain? The way you carry on here at FChat in a futile attempt to negate the Downdraft's proven performance superiority over the Fuelie. If you were cool about it, one might think differently.

You are "extremely well versed with all variants of the Countach" ?? Name how many variants of the Countach you have personally owned, operated & maintained? AFAIK, you have owned 2 USA Fuelie Countachs, and not a single carbureted Countach from LP400 to Anniversario, so how exactly can you be extremely well-versed with all variants of the Countach. Experience comes from more than magazine articles and reading things on the internet. Clearly you have little regard for those who have real experience, but just because you come here and pretend to know something doesn't mean its going to be accepted. I think you know a bit about a USA Fuelie Countach, but have never had the occasion to experience the performance of a well-tuned Downdraft extensively. If you wish to speak about Countach experience, I purchased my first one in 1987, an LP500S. Then in 1988 I purchased a Downdraft. After that, I owned every Countach variant that Lamborghini built from LP400 to 25th Anniversario (Fuelies) in multiples of each variant, perhaps 11 or 12 different Countachs spread over almost 30 years. Along the way, I realized that the ultimate Countach driving experience, the single car I missed the most, was that first Downdraft from the late 80s. So I ended up back with a Downdraft, and totally restored it. That's experience of all the variants for you.

Now why on earth would a guy like me take a car that is pretty much the way it came from the factory and compare it with a heavily-modded car like yours? If I have dynoed my car, what meaning would there be in a comparison with a car that has been "experimented with ... everything from headers, exhaust and cam specs, to replacing everything with EFI and distributor-less ignition"? If I want to compare my car, or indeed another standard Downdraft with a Fuelie, it would be with a standard Fuelie, and rest assured, it will happen, all in good time, stay tuned, watch the Downdraft thread closely - I know you will.

The only Kool Aid being served around here Allan, is by you, and some Fuelie owners who are grasping at straws desperate to create the illusion that the variant they have is the same as the Downdraft. Insulting a fellow Countach owner is one thing, but, rmolke85 has owned his Downdraft since before they were a twinkle in your eye, 20 years, to be precise, long long before I discovered that the factory FIA Homologated that variant as they considered it to be the height of Countach performance. The discovery was simply an unexpected reward. I'll repeat what I said previously, if only you had a Downdraft, boy would you be singing a different tune!

Imagine how fast a Downdraft would be if the production cars were all tuned to the same 490 bhp which the Countach Evoluzione was tuned to? I know the answer to that one - they would be timed @ Nardo @ 200 mph. Dreaming and imagining is one thing, the reality of the cars as they were produced is another.

And what a pair those two are!

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #23792 raymondQV, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Here I disagree, the Evo was that fast because they changed the body drastically. Weight has no Impact, just Power (a lot of Power) and aerodynamics.
    492bhp is the power of the Diablo 2wd, but with a much better refined shape, no chance for a standard DD to ever get there.

We're talking about physical laws, dreamer section is somewhere else.

18. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    On that note, the ultimate Countach swansong edition would be the Lamborghini Marmirelli engineered qvx 5,7 l engine, wich happens to be fuelinjected,and acc to the article, not poss with carbs. On that note,would the tiny44 mm Webers even feed enough air to the qv engine to aproach 500 hp? We will probably never find out. Also ,Dynos, before the real electronic help, where not very accurate, to its defence,they where innaccurate everywhere, only real way to determine these old cars true output is a modern dyno chassis, this goes for all variants of the Countach.

19. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
  20. Stefano Pasini

Stefano Pasini Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Bologna, Italia
    Full Name:
    Dr. Stefano Pasini
    Please....can we call my friend Luigi with his real surname, 'Marmiroli', and not 'Marmirelli'? Just out of respect for a great engineer....

Thanks and good evening to you all,

Stefano

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    My mistake, Marmiroli have my absolute outmost respect.
    My deepest apology. Will not happen again.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23797 joe sackey, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry Raymond, I agree with 99% of everything you post based on your first-hand experience, and we will always be friends :) but you are 100% wrong.

We have to stop this culture of being Doubting Thomases in the Lamborghini community, especially when one has no personal first hand information.

Have you personally spoken to Messrs Masini, Pagani, Marmiroli, Balboni et al on a first-hand basis and received relevant data & materials from them? You realize that the men behind these machines are all available if one bothers to seek them out?

The Countach Evoluzione was made by the ECO department (Experience Composites) led by Attilio Masini, the car was designed by Horacio Pagani, Luigi Marmiroli oversaw an engine rated at 490 bhp, which, pushing only 980 kg (dry) actually accomplished 328 kph. That translates to 203.81 mph. 60 mph arrived in a scant in 4.1 seconds.

I draw your attention to the fact that besides the Countach Evoluzione's light weight and 490 bhp engine, the car's shape & ground effects were different! You cannot compare it to a standard Countach, and if nothing else, the Evoluzione proves that the Downdraft would actually be faster at the top end than it has been recorded to be.

This will all be in a magazine article and a book upcoming.

So much disrespectful behavior towards the men behind the machines, quite sad. That said, there are some of us who will not let the accomplishments of those men be diminished, in fact, we are here to extol the virtues of their success.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ask yourself the basic simple question, why would Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA itself choose to FIA Homologate the Downdraft and not the Fuelie?

I realize you are are a Countach enthusiast, all respect to that, but you do spout off a lot of meaningless nonsense backed up by absolutely nothing on these threads, I mean, do you make this stuff up as you go along? If you want anyone to take you seriously and learn along the way, perhaps be more open to receiving the wisdom of those who have dedicated their lives to the subject matter.

That's better, if you expect to be treated respectfully, treat others respectfully, especially people who might know more than yourself, from whom you might learn something.

If Marmiroli has your absolute outmost respect, why do you choose to continue disparage his name by not believing the information he has shared supported by material which has in fact been independently corroborated?

This whole Fuelie vs Downdraft thing was started by Fuelie owners trying to disparage the performance superiority of the Downdraft simply because the Downdraft was being revisited upon the discovery of the FIA Homologation papers.

Let’s be clear, I love all Countachs and have no issue with people who accept intelligently received & presented wisdom about the Downdraft for what it is.

But those who disparage the Downdraft’s status simply because they chose the wrong car or donlt have one or whatever, deserve no less than a, shall we say, a perspective review, to put it politely, a reminder of the facts personally culled from the original creative source, as proven by a host of independent entities.

Let’s not confuse factual and useful information with internet knowledge, I know-it-to-be-so, or seat-of-the-pants making stuff up as you go along.

I think Fuelie owners would get due respect for their cars if they behaved respectfully, its a simple two-way street.

24. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Wow,did not see this one coming, smiley face, talk about making things up as you go, read the qvx article,last time we did on this forum,you gave up,and had some lame comment, in terms of disrespect, You innvented it, your answer to Raymonds post is the biggest meltingpot of nonsense we have ever heard,

25. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I agree, there was hardly more than 490 bhp (I think maybe less! As they still kept the air pump for some odd reason - why would you need one on a record-setter prototype?) as the acceleration could have been faster with a more powerful engine.
    0-60 mph in 4.1 sec for a 980kg prototype is not fast at all! Maybe the gears were altered for higher top speed.

p.s. Damn, haha, that Evo styling is still sometimes hilarious for me. When I was a kid I thought it was a replica. It looks like some sort of 80s Carmageddon car. Don't mind. :)