Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 954 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #23826 rmolke85, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    The Nor-Techs are one of the best, if not the best out in the market, IMHO.

Expensive but they are incredible. SO I applaud you for creating them. Much respect. Im looking at some used CC right now actually....... Between you and Statements. Tough choice.

Ok back to Countachs.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Thank you for saying that, coming from a Countach lover,owner,even more so, we are all gear heads , appreciating old world craftmanship, very small world, we are delivering a 56 cc quad 550 Cummins ,to the current ovner of Bertone,(Akka tecnologies)French company 13000 employees ) next week, super nice guy, and we did talk Countach last time he was here, one came in their take over,not shure wich variant,but will find out next week , will spend a few days with him and family on the water, now ,run and get that NorTech, my favorit fun all round cc the 34 trip 350, affordable 82 mph ,currently building one for myself, sorry guys,back to the Countach,

3. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables

Lol, my first c32a's that I got from Pantropic were originally ordered for your first 80.

I know it's off topic, do you have pics or a link?

4. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I will post lots of pictures next week,once launched, 100% complete, water tested twice already, will be run for 2 weeks in Florida,then shipped to St Tropes , originally in an Antonov cargo plane,now with more time,poss by ship.

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Sorry, nor-techboats face book

6. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Thats funny,my first 80 (1650) hp i belive,blew up the stb engine on the check out run with Caterpillar, i was on the back deck when it happened,lots of shaking, smoke then the rod was in the bilge,huge hole in the block, the second 80 has performed perfect,twin 1900 cats, 65 mph , amazing boat,Miami Key west 3 hrs, ok back to Lambos

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Joe, if what you say is true about carbs, why are they not being used today? Are you telling us that the carb is more efficient? More reliable then fuel injection?

I think you are basing your opinions on the carb v's cis injected countach. Yes the carbs in that circumstance prove to be much better. However, install a modern mutilport fuel injection system in any countach and the results will astound.

8. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    Yup, we all got screwed with the first gen c30's.

9. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    Is this a real question? The same reason we can't buy new two stroke diesels or even new mechanically injected diesels, emissions.

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Stop right there, that's all that matters, I stated what I stated, nothing more or less.

The fact that carbs are not being used today is IRRELEVANT, are the Countach Fuelie & Downdraft under discussion 2017 models?

Perhaps reading this post will help http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145507696-post23811.html

That said, of course, you can franken-mod just about any car into anything you want it to be, a slippery slope as you well know.

Meanwhile, back to the 80s, since Fuelie guys have to experiment and modify everything to get their cars to run satisfactorily, I have the best modification solution, two words - Weber carburetors!

Exactly.

11. Does it really matter if a Countach has 20 or 30hp more or less nowadays? How many of the Countach owners are driving their cars at the limit? I haven't seen one in the past few years. On top of that each new BMW M4 or M3 is quicker than the fastest standard Countach. The Countach is the car to have because of it's incredible appearance and character.

My dealer has two dynos, one is the usual thing which a lot of shops have and one is a really modern one which costs a multiple of a normal one. I asked him to dyno my DD on the modern one and he told me not to do it as I won't love my Countach more or less after it was on the dyno. And this is actually true, so I gave up my plan. In addition it's a stressful procedure for such old cars. And there are many differences between the different dynos. I can already imagine the endless discussions about the credibility of the result of the dyno in this forum...

FI or DD doesn't matter that much, in the end both versions are a Countach. Some guys might prefer an fi and some a dd for different reasons. In the end the market will decide which car is in more favor. I wouldn't mind at all to have both of them.

All Countach owners can be very happy to have such a great and iconic car! I'm always very happy when I see another Countach owner and his car regardless which model.

12. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Well, you know, I'm 27 and I love carbs for some odd reasons. They are not good if you have altitude difference, they have bad mid-range, but they are fun. They can be cheaper/easier fine tuned to the what you need. Today we have a bunch of ECUs that can be made at home and tuned via laptop, in 80s you had Bosch L-Jetronic/Motronic, pre-mapped at the dyno. I.e. if you wanted to race it, you need to bring the dyno to your "Targa Florio".

Second, if you run big cams, the cylinders will rob charges from each other. In a single plenum that is a disaster. Because you couldn't run good ECUs at the time, like the ones they had in DTM at the time, you couldn't run individual throttle bodies. So carbs will make more power in racing engine if you are on a budget. But you will face some mid-range drivability issues that can be solved at the expense of fuel consumption.

There was something that changed my mind a while ago, not a Lambo though:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtjIxwNEZE[/ame]
    That's 3.2L engine based on '78 Nissan 2.8 straight-6. It's a single cam engine with rocker arms, 2 valves per cylinder. And a man reached roughly 410 hp naturally aspirated on carbs.

I've spent years of my part-time on reading books and understanding how this was possible, I've spoken to him and knew all inside out. But it's not a miracle, it's possible when you do these engines for 25 years, lol. He makes his own cams, rocker arms, valves, numerous changes in combustion chamber design, ports. This guy is quite a legend in Japan. (He writes in famous magazines, every where he appears he's a well known man, and yes, he charges $15k for a cylinder head assembly)

And so how was that possible? A naturally aspirated engine can only create a limited amount of pressure to move the pistons, a theoretical value would be - mean effective pressure, if you include all the friction - brake mean effective pressure. Current top notch N/A racing engines, i.e. F1/Nascar/whatever, are on the level of 210 psi. Though this number can be surpassed, it's a matter of good design, but usually the power would be limited to that "maximum safe power limit". The man from Japan had got 210-218 psi on his high power engines, but a Pagani Zonda Revolucion with CLK-GTR is rated at even more. And when you are close to the limit, it doesn't really matter how many cylinders you have, valves and what are the revs - these are combustion limits. So if you know you stuff, you can run whatever you want, and carbs are not bad for racing purpose.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23838 joe sackey, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good post, and I don't disagree with your points.

But, yes, it really does matter that one variant is significantly more potent than another as produced, especially when some people falsely claim it isn't. It's very important to set the record straight with these cars, not just for posterity, but as a nod of respect to the creators of the car.

As regards dynos, I agree with your points, I am much more interested in an acceleration performance test on-the-track, two cars, both standard factory configuration, both driven by the same professional race-car driver or factory test driver.

The market has already decided, comparable Downdrafts are in some cases as much as 2 times the value of a comparable Fuelie, and I for one think this disparity will increase.

Agreed, all Countach owners should be happy to have any Countach, which makes you wonder why some complain, protest & whine about the attributes of other variants.

Respect to your knowledge, and thank you for sharing it!

One of the reasons I personally like carbs, especially the Downdraft configuration, is that it was the original Lamborghini engine concept, and I love it in the Miura.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No,claim is as always,two cars,both with equal exhast,and bumpers, you need to get this straight, let me tell you just one more time, one fulie,one DD, both with headers,no cats and no dot Us bumpers, thats it,just like that, agree on the driver set up, i have not seen one post here,on this forum,ever claimed anything else, all good

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thankfully, your irrelevant rambling will have just about zero input in the planning, setup, execution & publication of this pet project, and for both posterity's sake and respect to the men behind the machines, we are all the better for it.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23841 joe sackey, Aug 3, 2017
    Some may think I'm just name-dropping here, but, here is a suited Enzo Moruzzi in the Sant Agata factory courtyard, moving around a newly-minted LP400S S1 so the photographer can get some images of it.

Note the Bianco-Rosso interior.

luzion likes this.
  17. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Presumably 1121018...

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23843 joe sackey, Aug 3, 2017
    I think you are correct sir.

159th Countach completed May the 4th 1978 and shipped to Eugene Carrier in Canada on June the 6th 1978, if my notes are correct.

19. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Correct, and neither would anybody elses,with you involved.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I seem to have a fair number of people happy to work with me on all manner of projects, the tangible results of which I'm confident you see from time-to-time. My problem is there are not enough hours in the day.

Interest in participation the Downdraft vs Fuelie project is significant on all levels, the from the men who made them, to current-day technicians, to participating owners, to the press.

Thankfully, at least one of us in this exchange is documented as being a consistent source of useful & relevant material, advancing the cause of the cars overall, and actually having some influence on the market. Hint - I’m not speaking of you.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of your posts are basically a complete waste of the community’s time, which is a shame as one might think a Countach owner would have something positive to offer and be somewhat of an ambassador for ownership. I can imagine a prospective Countach owner reading your posts and being put off the very idea of ownership, and I must confess that in 30 years of Countach ownership, I have encountered few owners who portrays themselves as poorly as you do. I don’t think you have posted a single image, technical illustration, or historical text piece of any real significance that is useful or helpful to the community-at-large. A good percentage of the 1,197 posts you’ve made here are opinion & ulterior-motive based, alternated with your stock-in-trade disrespectful comments, laced with a healthy dose of grammatical & spelling nonsense. Each post you make is another brush-stroke that paints a clear picture, preserved for posterity.

You know my deal by now, I extend the same courtesy I’m afforded, so, with that in mind, perhaps its time to turn a new leaf, raise the bar, make positive posts where you know them to have a real & useful basis, and receive wisdom which you don’t have both gracefully and respectfully.

As you like to say, all is good.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23846 joe sackey, Aug 3, 2017
    I could not find the answer to that, but, I did find this Valvoline Ad where Burtoni made the claim that "a Countach is capable of doing 211 (mph)", I presume he meant the basic shape of the car. Anyway, his car managed 201.793 mph.

22. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #23848 joe sackey, Aug 3, 2017
    Another of Automobili Lamborghini SpA Client Manager Enzo Moruzzi @ Sant Agata with a new Countach LP400.

I wonder if Victor knows which one this is?

24. #23849 EarlyCat, Aug 3, 2017
  25. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #23850 S_AGATA, Aug 3, 2017
    I thoroughly enjoy these discussions, they're all in good fun. Regardless of the variant these discussions raise the tide for all Countach models.

F40 fans and owners have been squabbling for ages US vs Euro. Both of them are amazing and desirable cars even if the US car is a little slower.

Either vehicle can be modified back to the contemporary Euro spec if someone REALLY wants to. Not all modifications are bad modifications if done in good taste. That being said, the DD is faster from the factory stock.

These cars are simply products of their times. The fuelie Countach was the fastest car you could purchase in the US. I'm sure it was the same for the f40. Both companies did the best they could with the established laws at the time.

Here's an appropriate photo of an F40 and Countach from the old days at shop. The Countach is one of my favorites, a 5000S!