Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    1957 picture looks a bit precarious!

2. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #252 enio45, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been a while since i updated my restoration progress - pics below

We tore the transmission apart to check everything over, installation of new seals and new bushings on the throwout bearing shaft. Full detail, black oxide washers and nuts and reassembled. Good news - there were previous indications that this was rebuilt - and the insides looked very very nice.

SO for once....limited expense involved on this aspect....thats a win.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #253 enio45, Jul 7, 2017
    With the body setting waiting sufficiently for the 2nd coat of epoxy primer to dry before another block sanding - i went ahead and fit the front suspension bushings, shafts and associated parts to the frame so that when the time comes after painting the underneath of the car - all we have to do is install. All the end play specs are done and ready to go.

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #254 enio45, Jul 7, 2017
    Much work has been going into the wiring harness - when i got the car everything was disconnected, including the fuse board. So with a lot of patience, i figured out where everything went, what was short because of a cut wire and was able to effectively recreate the operation of the car by applying power circuit. I built this stand to house my gauges and switches to help the process.

With all this finally done, I'm having a new harness made for the car and will deliver my old harness next week to "YandZ Yesterday Parts". I visited them in CA to see what and how they do this and look forward to the finished product. They had previously made an Ellena and had that original harness in their stock of harnesses. In fact there were about 20 different early ferrari original harnesses there as reference for them.

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #255 enio45, Jul 7, 2017
    One item i could use help with is locating any of these original dash lights.

I wanted all the same color - but not sure what was original when the cars were made.

i have a few different colors - but maybe someone has a few in there stash they can help me out.

Here are a few pics....these little lights are tied to the toggle switches to let you know they are on...there are 3 of them and one for the ignition switch.

Let me know if you know where i can find some nice originals!!

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #256 enio45, Jul 7, 2017
    ON the Ellena and as well for the Boano, there are six pieces of the body side moldings.

My pieces were beat up pretty good, some short due to others filing and refinishing them. SO i decided to make engineering drawings of all 6 pieces. After a few test runs and adjustments we have perfected the production of these again. We use the CNC with the engineering drawings and can make all 6 pieces. They are slightly longer which will require fitting the pieces to the car, as every car is a little different in length etc. The backs are exactly like the originals and are held on with a slotted bolt and nut. Once i fitted them to the car and massaged the ends to fit perfectly - i sent them out for polishing.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks for sharing Ed, you're doing great by this Ellena.

john

8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you john and also for your advise......paint is getting real close and then suspension assembly is next.

9. scuderia328

scuderia328 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2010
    FRANCE
    Congratulations ! Good project !

All the Best,

Cyrille

10. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    These appear to be identical to the units fitted to Alfa Giuliettas. Reoriginals in Texas has new ones in all colors Light for dash, green, brass barrel behind dash, small... - L0266X

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks Bob, i emailed Matt and did not seem to get much help....ill try to call him - I'm not sure that web site is al that accurate anymore - i have not seen anything ferrari updated in yrs - IMO.

A call is in order....

12. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    The good news is that the lights appear to be a common Giulietta part which may make finding them a bit easier.

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes, Ill expand my search!!

14. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Anyone have any thoughts/ recommendations about polishing glass.

On my 58 Ellena resto, I'm going to use the orig front and rear glass from the car.

I'd like to clean it up and try to remove some minor defects.

IS there a recommended process or procedure or product to use?

Heck, the last thing i need is to crack the glass....already been there on the side glass - so i now have 2 new side glass pieces for the project.

Appreciate the thoughts

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #265 TTR, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    I've offered my thoughts and experiences on this subject several times over the years, most recently in "Old glass - New thread" in Detailing & Showroom section of this forum.
    You might want to read there.

I have over 20 years of experience producing curved glass for all kinds of custom and obsolete applications with hundreds(?) of satisfied clients around the globe. There's been more than one occasion my glass has been on a cars displayed at Pebble Beach and other prestigious Concourses around world. There'll be at least one again at Pebble in couple of weeks.

16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  18. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Hi Timo,
    I went to the thread you cited and saw your posts on the first page. I copied the URL from the top of my screen and pasted it into a reply.

If I wanted to link a specific reply in the thread (in this example, your first reply) I would open the thread page, go to the reply I wanted, and click on the post number.
    It's on the top right corner "#10" and it's clickable.
    Clicking that post number would open a window containing that post reply. I would copy the url of that page and post it in my reply to the original thread and the result would be this-
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145384379-post10.html

Dave

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #269 TTR, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for this too.
    Always happy to learn something new. :)

I just photocopied this post to my iPad and desktop so I can reference it next time a need arises to offer a link.

And now I can return to my regularly scheduled program, restoration of old cars, which today includes finalizing the installation of a yet another ill-fitting new/reproduction Daytona replacement exhaust system which required fair amount of corrections and tweaking.
    Even the NOS U.S. headers proved anything but straightforward installation, although this system appear to require much less work than the previous one (Euro spec) I installed couple of years ago.

Timo

20. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Looking forward to seeing update on the restoration.

ShadowLAP

21. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Looking forward to seeing progress updates on this exciting car.

22. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Hello there again....it has been a while on the resto update

Good news i get the body back in a few weeks. All the paint work, blocking , blocking, blocking, blocking has been done and we
    now have color on the car. We also did the Halo Roof as a number of the early cars had. The car is currently getting painted underneath and once that is done, then the top side will be buffed. It is already sanded ready to buff. Some have asked why paint the botton last - reason is the black underneath would get stained from the color sanding of the body color. So in order to not have that happen, once the black is painted then the clean up is a lot easier.

Attached Files:

23. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Car looks superb!

24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    While the paint and body has been going on, i had the gauges restored by MOMA - in Albuquerque NM. The did a fantastic job on the, repaired some issues, repeated everything, calibrated them with new sensors on the water temp and oil temp, as well as the fuel gauge.

Ill post pics in a few, need to take them.....first the old gauges below

Additionally, sorting out the wiring on the car took a while. When i got the car every wire was disconnected and although marked on the masking tape, after 40plus years the ink disappeared and nothing was legible . After figuring out how everything gets wired and looking at the cracked and burned wires, i decided to have a new harness made for the car. The process too six - seven weeks and i now have a new harness - labeled and ready to install.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Other stuff going on - in prep for the assembly, i was in need of some dash knobs and door handle knobs. Several were cracked and some missing. Having searched for yrs looking for these, i resorted to have them made. Using my originals, molds were made an from what i was able to tell there are window crank knobs (fat and slim style) and dash knobs (smaller).

One the knobs are ready, ill need to make the inserts so they can be secured to the window crank handle and the dash switches/choke. Here are the samples done, orig on the left and new ones on the right.

These are also used on the TDF cars originally - so i had a number of them made to sell at a later date
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login