i'm finally a SLR owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

i'm finally a SLR owner

Discussion in 'Other German' started by GPM, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very nice! I loved my SLR. If you want more power change the supercharger pulley and the intercooler pumps.

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not sure what your 'Honda' reference is... it's a bike here in the states.

Was referring to the 'politics' rule here on Ferrarichat:

1.6 No "Out of Bounds" Posts: It is the policy of FerrariChat.com to "contain" some types of posts versus complete censorship. This includes all "Politics and Religion" posts in the Subscribed only Politics & Religion forum..."

I would not impugn your Prime Minister or, then, say it was a joke.

3. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    your right, my apologies,,

4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    #29 GPM, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    took the car on a little drive to see the sights,, as it turned out the car drew more attention than the American Pickers place,,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
  6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Back in the day you had the option of paying the HP right on the sideof the road. I didn't believe that until my buddy and I got pulled over late one night near Waterloo IL (across the river from STL).

$55 cash later and we were on our way.

No possibility for corruption in that state!

7. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #32 Cobraownr, Aug 7, 2017
    My factory MB dealer has a small upcharge for labor for the SLR, around $10/hour more than their standard rate. Prices are nutsola. Plug wires $1155; two front shocks with hardware $5412; under panel bolts (one-time use) $1200; two valve cover gaskets $150.

The motor had to be dropped to install the new valve cover (not head) gaskets. Labor for the engine drop $10,636. Dealer told me brake rotor replacement would be north of $75,000, and that's not touching the calipers.

I am not defending these prices, and agree with the "not rocket science" comment, but the SLR is a complex car mechanically, with very small clearances and a lot of special material. My MB dealer guarantees all repairs for two years, and offers a discount on service through club membership.

There is no shortage of available SLRs. If resale is any consideration, would a prospective buyer rather have an SLR serviced by an authorized MB dealer, or Joe's No Name Shop?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Ultimately you do whatever you fell comfortable with . I can tell you my brakes were replaced at 13000km under warranty , at that time , the cost was $16000 a rotor and $1500 per pad , this is all in CDN dollars , before labour and taxes . I subsequently found out that the ZR1 uses the exact same rotors and charge $2000 per rotor and the Chevy dealership I contacted was so excited about the prospect or ordering a set for me , they offered a 30% discount . I had all 4 shocks replaced , it was $4400 a schock , again , in CDN dollars.
    In my opinion , charging $10000 in labour to drop a motor is sacrilege and pure theft , all it is is methodical work . Also , just because one's car get serviced by a dealer does not make it any more valuable , lot of dealers do terrible work . It is great that your dealer offers a 2 year warranty but you are paying for that up front

9. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #34 Cobraownr, Aug 7, 2017
    Agree with all you said. My point about dealer servicing is not enhancing value, but potentially adding one small element that a buyer might look at positively when comparing similar cars.

The SLR 722 has the larger front calipers and cross drilled rotors, yes?

10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I agree with your point above , I would say that one should look very closely at any SLR that has not been serviced regularily and factor in service costs into the purchase price if the services have not been done .

Yes , the 722 has larger brakes and calipers , I believe in 2007 , they were the largest rotors supplied OEM by any manufacturer , the fronts being 380mm

11. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    it's the cost of doing business, I've had no major bills yet, but, the SLR is the best car ever built. imo, its worth all the costs, people that don't like it have never driven one every day for months like me, I drove the Vanquish, I drove the F12, nothing, and I mean nothing has the build quality of the SLR,, so do what I've done then talk!!, PS, I paid$20,000US for two mufflers, so the car would qualify for CDN import, so I'm aware of the costs of ownership, and still say its the best there is!!

Rexcat458 and mclaren slr like this.
  12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Oh my, that seems like a ton of money for any car--at any price. Ouch.

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Love to hear updates on your SLR (GPM) and even the 722 (BMWracer).

ChipG likes this.
  14. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    Thanks for asking, things are still fine with the car, don't know if there are good ones and bad but it seems I have a good one. when I see some car fax reports on some others it'll scare the crap out of anyone,, cars sitting at 12000 miles and they're bugging me for spark plug change, plugs are original so I guess they're due, but it still runs like new,,,

ag512bbi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Has anyone published a cross-reference parts number thread like the Testarossa one?

I'm wondering how many parts are off the shelf and interchangeable like the corvette zr-1 rotor example.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I rode in SLR with Tommy Kendall at Road America back in 2005, at full song it sounded like a low flying Spitfire, I still get shivers down my spine when I see one.
    Fabulous car and still greatly under appreciated, it's a matter of time before it shoots up in value and follows CGT price wise.

17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #42 tritone, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    :D

PS thank you for this thread, detailing the 'joys' of SLR ownership :cool:
    I was mildly considering a purchase recently; I now realize these are so far out of my ball park (cost-wise) that I dodged a bullet! Kudos to you for doing it tho! And congrats on your realization that you needed to drive the car rather than save it for the next guy!

Carrerarsr likes this.
  18. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    after several years of ownership, and I've never met another owner in person, the mystery behind it , which is made clear, is the cost of regular service, even I shiver when I hear a guy say he spent $75000 on brakes (not in including calipers) which I believe is another 50k, for me , so far so good, the brakes ceramic should never need replacing someone told me, so in the end, you have too really love the car or have very deep pockets, I love the car but no deep deep pockets here, however it's nice to have it sitting in the garage, no cost for that, ha ha,,

19. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The thing is , if you don't change the plugs at a reasonable time , there is a possibility they get stuck in the block . I can't tell you what the reasonable time is but i follow the service schedule, i am at 60000 miles now .

20. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #45 Adamas, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Prior to my purchase of my McLaren in 2012, I was looking into the SLR. I had read that if you needed brakes (rotors and calipers) at all 4 corners, the cost was @ $80,000. Finding this very hard to believe, I got onto one of the MBZ web forums to inquire as to whether or not anyone knew if this was true. To my surprise, I actually got an immediate (< a day ot two, IIRC) answer. An SLR tech who was well know/regarded- on that particular forum posted and actual receipt for a brake job, cost - @$70k + !!!!

I decided that I didn't need an SLR ....

Mike

ronfrohock and GPM like this.
  21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Bentley Speed at that time had ceramic brakes (optional) fronts at 420mm and rears at 380mm

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U can use corvette zr1 beakers for 8k all of them, save 62k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    nice

24. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    ,sold the SLR sadly, never faced a huge bill for repair so i thought i'd get out while my luck was still running, looking for replacement, considering F12, Lusso, or a Mclaren 570gt or 720S,,,