Sergio Marchionne details why a Ferrari vintage buyer has been ignored | FerrariChat

Sergio Marchionne details why a Ferrari vintage buyer has been ignored

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TeamF1Jr, Aug 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I sure this topic has been discussed in the past on Ferrarichat, but I’ve never heard it being said at the top levels of Ferrari. Sergio Marchionne addressed in the last conference call that essentially they have a very large existing customer base that from his perspective has been ignored too long. Who is this base; it’s the guys who buy only vintage Ferraris. This is not word for word, but in brief, Sergio said that the push to put the latest technology in their cars the past 15 years or so has been done at the sacrifice of styling. The transition from a focus on beauty to more of a racing emphasis on every new car has rearranged the Ferrari DNA so much, it skewed its priorities. It’s a return to more timeless styling he believes is key to get vintage buyers back in the fold on new car purchases. Sergio says it’s not a matter of money holding the vintage buyer back from buying new ones, they have the money. They choose not to buy because they don't care for the looks and the technology is so extreme that it may be somewhat intimidating to the vintage buyer. Lastly, he said the mindset of a typical Ferrari buyer is more in tune with the non-extreme models, in other words, there’s more buyers for the normal Ferrari models than the for the GTOs, Scuderia, TDF’s of the world, so for that reason Ferrari most go back more too its roots of the first 30 years of existence. The technology is so advanced at this point that styling doesn't sacrifice performance any longer. Sergio said, a good looking car that sounds good is simplistic, but where we need to be. One interesting tidbit that addresses this was he said the styling of a new model in the pipeline is so head turning and so much of benchmark of “Italian class” it will bring you, the vintage buyer, back in the fold.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Can't wait to see this.

There are so many safety and emissions regulations that they can never really go back to the old days.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ha, he doesn't realize the real reason vintage buyers aren't buying new Ferraris is because so many of them INTENSELY DISLIKE HIM AND WHAT HE STANDS FOR.

Can't believe he's saying all that at the same time he's talking about the need for Ferrari to have an SUV in its lineup...

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Happy to hear that - Now all they need is a GTC4 Lusso's V12 engine in a modern take of the Daytona :)

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They can meet safety and emissions and make their cars beautiful
    It's modern aerodynamics that make these cars look less than optimum - IMO

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    That too . . . . I was just testing you!

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    ;)

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree. Ferrari needs to return to the style and elegance it was once known for. These incremental performance improvements derived from technology and aerodynamics at the expense of beauty and style are silly, in my opinion. Ferrari would do well build something along the lines of the Cali T, but a true 2 seater, with small supercharged V12 and gated manual gearbox.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #9 TheMayor, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Wait-- you mean Sergio reads Fchat????

That sounds like one of my posts. :)

Dear Ferrari

Pay less attention to the aero lab and computers and more attention to the designers and sculptors.

Technology is great but if we wanted to drive a computer we would buy an Oculus and drive any car in the universe.

More Sophia Loren and less Steve Jobs.

Oh, and bring back a manual option if you REALLY want the classic crowd.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They need to mass produce cars that look like the SP models. Those have style...the standard cars don't look like they had much input outside of the wind tunnel.

11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I mostly agree with that although perhaps an N/A V12 around 4.0 litres which revs to 9-10,000 rpm (guess that would be good for 450-500bhp) and some mild hybrid tech to keep the emissions people happy.

My biggest problem with modern Ferraris (and modern sports/super/hyper cars in general) is the power outputs. The Daytona has around 350bhp and I've never driven it and thought hmm I would like some more power. The fact it's modern equivalent the 812 has 800PS or is something of a turn off.

dcjase likes this.
  12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    +1

13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not sure. Many want to buy the GTOs/TDFs etc for flipping at 2 x or whatever.

A lot of people buy for the luxury goods/lifestyle element. Discussing hp/performance etc is like precision of a luxury watch. Helps to sell it but hardly used/needed.

In the looks department, they have been regressing for most of the last decade, to the point where the GTs get confused with Jaguars etc. Not good.

Also, they've got proper competition from Mac - so they need to return to their roots and be distinctive. You don't have to be technologically (aero, electronics etc) miles ahead to win. Remember, the F40 was ancient vs 959 technologically.

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe the 'New Dino' might get the last laugh!

Dear Sergio (Santa)

Make it gated! (or at least an option)

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The more buyers story made my laugh, of course there are more buyers for a 488 GTB compared to a TDF...they make many of the former and a limited number of the latter so of course there are fewer buyer, fewer by design!

I hope we less of a top trumps game with McLaren, don't really think this has had much benefit and lead to less opportunity to actually use the performance on offer.

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    458/488 are among the very best designs ever imo. I quite like the front engine flagship V12 cars too. All that is missing is a mid engined flagship V12 to rival the Aventador.

BoxerCrazy likes this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I'd hit it! Plus, while we're here how a resto mod version of the original California?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think this is just a set up for the new Dino to explain why he did it to Wall Street. It will be well liked by us if done nicely, but might not sell as well unless it has a lower price. Also look at manual gearboxes. Everyone says they want one , but when they offered them on the regular models very few ordered them. Sergio should let someone else pick the look of the design as he is hit or miss when choosing.

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How about this combo - drop the Speciale engine in the new Cali modular chassis
    Ignore Aero make the car ultra sexy and strictly two seats.That's my little fantasy :)

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wait, are you saying you don't regularly drive at 200 mph?

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I try to keep it at 199 :D

You're exactly right cars have more performance than needed - There needs to be something else as well like beauty of design

22. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    He's pretty close to correct, but many of us were there before we'd even heard of Sergio in anything predicting his position within Ferrari.
    Ferrari's "unofficial" allowance of "list bumping" 10-15 years ago pushed some of us into the "screw their BS game" category, as well.

Not everybody wants THE car with THE fastest potential, which will never be used, but we DO want something we can enjoy, and enjoy reliably, and like to look at - something that engages us. Their pursuit of ULTIMATE unusable performance reminds me of BE THERE!! BE THERE!!! BE THERE!!!!! radio ads - lots of hype, but you can still only use what your environment allows you to use.
    A proper Dino would be a good start, if it's not what he's talking about already.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Your proposed engine would be acceptable:) I just have a "thing" for superchargers:D. (Turbos....not so much)

24. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    I think after the massive success of the 911 R manufacturers are taking a second look at their priorities. Maybe customers who are buying a road car want to use it on the road, not the track? Crazy, I know...

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The first thing Sergio will latch on to re: the 911R is that it (and others like it) came to be due to the Cayenne and Panamera's existence.